Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #1

Coach door flexes open in high winds when driving

On a 6 hour drive last week in some high winds and occasional storms I had a terrible rattle coming from the coach door. I looked over my shoulder and could actually see daylight coming through the upper corner (non hinge side) as the door flexed open and closed from the wind along with combination of my driving speed (between 65 & 70). It was louder than the radio and got very annoying! The door was double locked and pulled shut as tightly as possible, but still it flexed about 1/8 to 1/4 inch open and closed the whole way down.

I'm curious if anyone else also has this issue on the MBS W/R/S or if it's just my door that needs tightening or some other mod. If you've had the same problem what was the remedy...or are you just living with it?

Thanks in advance,
Marc
Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #2

I've encountered the same thing...or something very much like it. I've generally found that a good, hard, slam of the door improves the situation, if not eliminating it entirely. Could just be in my mind. Plus, as I get older I don't hear as much...so that could be it too.

In my case, I suspect that a not-fully-slammed door allows the screen door to rattle a bit. But I have not confirmed that, either.

Well, all in all, this is a pretty useless post!

Dave
Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

I have experienced this numerous times on my 2016 24R. I tried the slamming, stuffing a small rag in jam then closing, and slowing down. None of it worked. I took in under warranty and was told the door was mounted correctly and there was nothing they could do. Not sure what kind of engineering would help.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

Had some rattle early on with my 24R door. I adjusted the striker plate and placed some self adhesive 1/4 thick felt strips between the door and the screen door. I also ensure the plastic slide plate for the screen door handle cover is locked in the open or closed position.. These things took care of my rattles.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #5

2017 2400w mbs

I just returned from a 2600 mile trip to Canada. Driving through Iowa, I encountered the same problem with the door and also the dinette side window, during high wind. It was loud enough to scare the 8yr old grandson and my wife into making me stop. Nothing apparently wrong, but daylight was visible at times from both while driving.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #6

rattle from door from wind while driving

I have a similar rattle, especially if a high wind is from the door side. I bought a roll of white weather stripping at CW or Walmart, and applied some to the upper corner of the frame... over the black seal material already there. It worked to stop the rattle on a 4,000 mile trip just completed, except for a few short times. I will add a bit more to reduce the rattle even more.
Good luck.
retrieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #7

Have same issue. We slam the door closed and fold a bed pillow in half and stuff it between the bottom step and the door, it cuts down on the noise somewhat. We also put some felt tabs along the rim of the screen door. to help with rattles.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #8

Do you think 65 PSI may help a little on any rattle?
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
I've had the same issue with my door when there are strong winds and traveling at freeway speeds. When I had a trailer, the door came open once while driving. I now always keep the motorhome door double locked when traveling. By keeping the door locked and slowing down during strong winds the problem is lessened to a point of being tolerable. There have been times where the door looked like it was going to be pulled open even when locked. I've thought about putting slide locks on the top and bottom of the door just to be on the safe side but that seems like an overkill.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #10

I do not believe slamming a door is ever the answer !!! Any Door !!!!
Adjusting or Weather striping maybe !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I do not believe slamming a door is ever the answer !!!
Well, let's just say ... ensuring that the door is fully closed ... In my case, it does seem as though the door can be closed to the point where it won't open, but still, for whatever reason, it can have a little play that allows things to rattle. Closing the door firmly seems to alleviate, if not eliminate, the problem.

But some of the other ideas mentioned might help as well...

Dave
Old 07-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Well, let's just say ... ensuring that the door is fully closed ... In my case, it does seem as though the door can be closed to the point where it won't open, but still, for whatever reason, it can have a little play that allows things to rattle. Closing the door firmly seems to alleviate, if not eliminate, the problem.

But some of the other ideas mentioned might help as well...

Dave
I agree with closing firmly !!!
I just hate when someone gets in one of my vehicles and slams the door,,,
when there is no reason to slam it !!!
Old 07-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #13

The door vibration on my 24S can get pretty loud that it will startle my dogs.

**Ps- A summer heat warning using reflextic: I was very surprised a couple of days ago while I was cleaning rv in my driveway a couple of days ago. The window glass on the coach door had slipped and there was a 3/4" gap on top exposed wide open. I keep a reflextic cover on this glass and it probably trapped the sun/heat melting the caulking, causing the glass to slip. My handyman unscrewed the window frame yesterday and recaulked the glass to frame.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #14

I am thinking Reflectix should reflect the sun & heat away from the glass ???
Old 07-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
It acts like a oven reflecting the sun back at the window, exactly what is suppose to do building up heat between the glass and reflectix. Melting caulk
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
It acts like a oven reflecting the sun back at the window, exactly what is suppose to do building up heat between the glass and reflectix. Melting caulk
So do you not think using Reflectix is a bad idea ???
Old 07-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #17

I like using it but will certainly be more judicious with it. Camping, the awning is out, but driving in heat could do it. I even had an issue using it on my windshield last year where I believe it had loosened the rubber seal. I had to replace my windshield after a truck kicked up a rock and cracked it. Safelite came to my campground and replaced the glass. I waited and followed their instructions. A month or so later I noticed that the rubber seal was loose on one side and so I had to return to their shop for the needed repair.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #18

Went through sort of the same problem. On our unit, if you stood towards the rear of the MH and looked at the door, the bottom was sticking further out than the top 0 door closed was at an angle top to bottom. Took it back to the dealer for that, and some other warranty items. Went on a trip for a week, and you could hardly get the door open or closed, and to close it you really had to slam it shut. Not right. Got home and ended up adjusting the door myself and now it works as it should. Do not understand why these things are so difficult for a dealer to fix once and for all.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door