Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 05:17 AM   #1

Considering purchasing 2016 MBS 2400 R

We have been researching (probably not nearly long enough-a year), and shopping for a Class C. We finally found one that checks the boxes, but I’m getting cold feet. For all the excitement in owning one and being able to share this with our close family, it seems like there is SO much that can go wrong. I’ve been trying to read reviews on the particular model we are considering, but there aren’t a lot out there. One is great and the other has me ready to get our deposit back. It is a 2016 Forest River MBS 2400 R. We own a diesel truck so the decision to go diesel was easy for us. Any advice for the model? And someone who is nervous and excited at the same time??
TakethebackroadTonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:27 AM   #2

We would love information on the pros and cons of a 2016 MBS 2400 R. Thank you
TakethebackroadTonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi and welcome to FRF!
You would be best served by posting these questions, in the MBS Sprinter sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
PhD, Common Sense

Buy the RV. You will have problems. You will find ways to overcome them. You will share your experiences, helping others. Others will share their stories, helping you. Reliance both on yourself and the kindness of strangers is kinda the definition of RVing.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:02 AM   #5

Welcome from SW Ohio , choose wisely !
Old 07-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and shop smartly. Almost all units will have some issues. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakethebackroadTonya View Post
For all the excitement in owning one and being able to share this with our close family
This is the only potential problem I see. Your close family may not be so close at the end of the first season of sharing this.

Bruce
Old 07-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

The MBS based motorhomes are small, but if you have done your research, then you’ve probably decided the 2400 is large enough for your intended use. I would consider it a two person motorhome, with the possibility of two guests occasionally, say a grandchild or two.

The MBS, in my opinion, has some service “drama” in ownership and maintenance, but if you’re experienced with Diesels as you say, you should be good.

If you want a specific pro/con for the 2400R, for me it would be compatibility with a hitch mounted bicycle rack. We often carry bicycles, along with a towed car, and I don’t believe the rear slide wall could be extended to use the bed for an overnight travel stop with the bikes in place. If you don’t carry bicycles like that, it would not be a concern.

Cargo carrying capacity on the MBS is low for a motorhome. Do your research on how much load you intend to carry. Water weighs a lot, and even people weights add up fast. It’s likely that some MBS motorhomes are being driven around loaded beyond their GVWR. I have read some owners saying they know they are overweight, but they don’t care.

As for general RV reliability, it’s a sad fact the most of the RV industry is building low quality units in order to be profitable but sell at affordable price points. We owners are pretty much all dealing with the poor workmanship and reliability, but that’s currently the norm in RV ownership. That said, it is still rewarding to have and use an RV, so go ahead and give the MBS 2400R a try if research indicates it’s right for you.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #9

Welcome!

Like a few people have said, all RVs will have problems, doing research is a great idea and checking it out in person is important for a reality check. When you do decide to purchase (and I guess you’ve got a deposit down?) make sure you get a thorough walk through from the dealer (even if it is a used one) and go over EVERYTHING, make sure you have plenty of time and don’t allow them to rush you. Hook it up to water and electricity, run the generator if it has one, fill the water tank and try the water pump. Fire up the stove, the A/C, the heat, the hot water, etc. Where’s the low point drain? How do you operate the slideouts, the awning, the TV, the leveling system. Make sure you are clear and have it in writing if there is a warranty and exactly what it does and does not cover. If the roof starts leaking next week, is it covered? How would it be addressed if it is? If there is no warranty the the only chance to have issues addressed is before they have your money.

OK, so now for your post title: “What to do??”
What to do:
Make a title for your post that describes your question in a few words.

Advice about purchasing a 2016 Forest River MBS 2400 R
Good title: Considering purchasing 2016 MBS 2400 R
Not very useful title: What to do??

Question about a light not working outside your door
Good post title: porch light not working
Bad post title: help!

Question about toilet that won’t flush
Good title: Dometic 300 won’t flush
Bad title: problem with our 2016 flagstaff

Post selling a 5th wheel hitch:
Good post title: TX- DFW - Reese 5th wheel slider For sale
Bad title: Up for sale

You get the drift. To get the people who have the info you need to look at your post so they can help you, use a concise title with as specific information as possible so the right people who have relevant experience will be drawn in and people who don’t, won’t.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Well written Mr Towed.

The subject field is what grabs people most times.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Well written Mr Towed.

The subject field is what grabs people most times.
And if you want to edit your title, you must have one of the Site Team Members do it for you. There is no way for you to edit the title yourself.’’bruce
Old 07-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
2012 Solera

This thread covers MBS Motorhomes (not specifically the 2400R):

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...er-117946.html

My comments as of then on our 2012 Solera are in post #51.

Since that time we have added about 25K miles (now at about 100K miles). Had to replace transmission (at about 90K miles), replaced all glow plugs, replaced EGR valve and EGR cooler. None of these failures stranded us “on the road”, but typically showed up as “check engine light” during monthly exercise drives or during pre-trip checkout drives (except the transmission- noise and vibration while shifting during a long trip).
For me, the reliability of the Mercedes portion has been disappointing. That said, suspect it is not worse than the competitive chassis’s.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #13

We have that unit

Well, we have a 2016 Sunseeker 2400R. We love it. It is usually just the two of us so the size is not an issue for us. Also our unit has been almost flawless, which might be classified as a miracle. We carry our bicycles on the back hitch and our rack lowers down to both load the bikes and with the rack lowered the rear slide out clears the bikes, so no problem there.

Most of us that have this rig are indeed running just a little over max weight. But we’ll under the tire and axel ratings. I think we are usually about 200 lbs over most of the time with no issues yet.

Good luck with your decision. We have had ours 3 years and have put about 22,000 miles on it. We did beef up the suspension with Sumo Springs front and rear and had a very good Mercedes shop do a special alignment and it really made a big difference in handling.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #14

Owner of 2016 MBS W

We own a 2016 MBS 2400 W ( 24 ft with wide slide out)
For the past 4 years the unit has been remarkable in terms of ride, dependability and performance.
The MB diesel gets 15 to 17 miles a gallon at 65 mph when not towing our Honda fit then we still get 12 to 13MPG.
WE take in once a year for oil change and check up and other then DEF add nothing to the oil or other .
My wife drives and I navigate and she admits it does not tax her or give her a rough time other then the truckers that create a draft.
That being said / this is a house on wheels and the most important thing is to keep ahead of the game with seals, checking nuts and bolts and maintenance of the obvious.
you do not state mileage or how many owners ??
Buying a used RV with any model is risky so if you do not know the ropes on RV ownership I suggest you find a friend who does and check it over with a fine tooth comb.
Or if you have a independent RV house /NOT Camping world / ask how much they would cost to check it out .
Also if you make the leap / stay close to this forum / always ready to help/ great ideas to share and really a good group .
Any question . give us a response .

Quote:
We have been researching (probably not nearly long enough-a year), and shopping for a Class C. We finally found one that checks the boxes, but I’m getting cold feet. For all the excitement in owning one and being able to share this with our close family, it seems like there is SO much that can go wrong. I’ve been trying to read reviews on the particular model we are considering, but there aren’t a lot out there. One is great and the other has me ready to get our deposit back. It is a 2016 Forest River MBS 2400 R. We own a diesel truck so the decision to go diesel was easy for us. Any advice for the model? And someone who is nervous and excited at the same time??
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #15

We have the 2015 model, our 4th motorhome. We are very happy with it. Do check to see if recalls have been performed. We've had for both driver and passenger airbags.

While in for service in 2016 they notified me they had a Bulletin to replace an electronic part on the fuel system. I don't know if that resulted in a recall or just became part of the warranty service.

We fulltimed several years in a 40 foot DP and then downsized to the MB when we quit fulltiming.

The MB is a lot easier to drive. As someone said, it is best as a two person RV.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #16

Mbs 2400w

Quote:
We love this RV, and think the W model makes a big difference. We (normally) summer in Canada with 1 grandson (11) and our Rottie. However, it can get a little cramped on a rainy day.

Best of luck and good wishes on your travels.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #17

Jroddym

We have a 2017 R and have put 40,000 miles on it. It is just my wife and me and two dogs. No major problems to speak of. We carry four bikes on a rack on the hitch(yeah we’re serious bikers) and yes that can be a problem for a single overnight. We are just in the habit of taking them off and on. They fit nicely under the slide when we are camped. The only real drawback to the R floor plan is the narrowness between the sink and closet. If my wife is at the sink I can’t get back to my closet and vice versa. The storage is a big plus on the R with that big space in back. I can keep a step ladder in there which is nice. Good luck. Oh!! We have camped several times with four adults. With one on the fold down table and one on the cab over bunk. Yes cozy but were also some of our favorite trips.
Jroddym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #18

Have a RV inspector go over it. Well worth the money.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:06 PM   #19

No mistake buying a FR Solera 24s

We just bought an immaculate 2015 Solera 24s with 14,000 miles on it. Platinum, loaded coach, full body paint, leather, fiberglass front, GPS. You name it, it's on it. We paid $50,000 and had been looking for a Solera for a couple of years. We love it and while comparing it to the neighbors Four Winds and Winnebago, we made NO MISTAKE. Our appointments are setting the bar quite high and with the MBS, it's a no brainer. Make sure everything works and you'll be just fine. No regrets! Happy traveling!
TeriTheFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:59 PM   #20

We have that unit and we love it! There r things that we want to improve on. The sliding wood door by the bed is unnecessary, and is a pain do to the doors slides when turning etc. I pretty much nail it in place. The coach tends to sway around corners so I added additional sway bar in back. Can’t tell it helped. We travel only the month of sept. So I have only about 12,000.00 miles on it. You need to be a little mechanically inclined. Sometimes you will need to replace an item rather than pay to have someone fix it. Our transfer switch went out so I order one and replaced the old one. It saved me time and money. Online it was 75.00 dollars and three hrs switching it. Took two hrs to find it. Lol. But we love the rv and traveling with our own bed. We r going to take out dining seats and table and put in recliners. Haven’t done it yet but will need to get it order from recpro . You can get up to 40% off sticker if you r willing to travel. Buying used is the best so long as mileage is low.
Jdhudkins is offline   Reply With Quote