Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBTSolera24R View Post
What all is needed for the recall because my dealer told me there is no parts needed. Only rewiring it
This may vary depending on what's installed on your unit. The basic recall involves replacing the Curt controller with a very similar controller manufactured by Hopkins. The parts which came for my recall included the Hopkins controller wired to two plugs the same way the original Curt controller was wired - Installation of the Hopkins unit basically involved unplugging the Curt controller and plugging in the Hopkins controller.

The wiring for the controller also included an inline fuse (at the controller).

In addition, the recall involved the addition of a second inline fuse, this one installed at the Mercedes wiring center under the driver's seat. The labor required for the recall was primarily in two areas - removing/reinstalling the driver's seat...and taking pictures and such of everything involved.

So, the recall parts bag included: 1: The Hopkins controller with wiring harness and inline fuse, 2: The wiring bits for the under-seat inline fuse, 3: a variety of zip ties used to attach the Hopkins controller to the mounting plate in front of the rear bumper.

Unless you've got a different situation there's definitely more than a wiring change.

Dave
Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #22

DIY on Recall?

This is a question for the FR reps. Is it possible to get the recall kit for a DIY install, even if we have to order it via a dealer? Getting RV service scheduled is an issue and local dealers are plagued with service complaints. I would much rather do the job myself at my convenience thus ensuring that it is done right and with minimal inconvenience.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Nope...and that's not us, that's NHTSA. Has to be done by an authorized dealer.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfalbright View Post
This is a question for the FR reps. Is it possible to get the recall kit for a DIY install, even if we have to order it via a dealer? Getting RV service scheduled is an issue and local dealers are plagued with service complaints. I would much rather do the job myself at my convenience thus ensuring that it is done right and with minimal inconvenience.
I've tried too - had the part number of the kit, part number shows as valid, but dealer won't order it for me. I understand the legality of signing off the recall, but I'm not even trying to do that. I simply want the Hopkins controller with the Deutsch pins already installed, so I can have it as a backup in case the Curt controller fails. Installing the fuses is easy...
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #25
psribbens

dealer installed new controller, LED replaced, oil change

update:
Took the Mh in two weeks ago, and dealer installed new controller. However, at least 3 LED's were dead on the drivers side rear light assembly... Parts ordered, installed last Friday.
Deal suggested leaving it inside for the week-end to allow the sealant to completely cure--yes it's a mild winter here in the Minneapolis area, but nowhere near the 50°+ degrees necessary for a good cure...
Yesterday, took possession of MH, aside from some cosmetic paint damage, it's hard to tell anything was done, except the LED's all work now
In round numbers
Controller--warranty...
LED replacement, $300. Wow
FWIW;
Also, primarily to document an "official" oil change, asked for oil & filter--another $300--which will be the last oil change done by this dealer unless it is some emergency. At 11,000 miles this is the 3rd oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pribbens View Post
Received the second recall notice (the first one (last August?) read like a "hold the date" we'll get back to you...someday;-)) Called the dealer Tuesday, 'You know when you want to bring it out of storage give us a call and we'll order the parts.'
Lucky me, the MH is less than 10 miles from dealer, 'please order the parts I'll bring it in when parts arrive. BTW, I want to take a long trip south February 14th.'
'Okay, I'll order the parts and let you know when they come in.' says dealer's service department rep..' should take about two weeks.' (forgive me doubting;-))
So it's the waiting game. I've not noticed the problem on the MH as other have, just got lucky too, cuz man-o-man we have been through some driving rainfalls in the first year, and kept on moving. So far no leaks, so far still have blinkers.
Will update when parts are in, or whine a little bit at the 3 week mark.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBTSolera24R View Post
What all is needed for the recall because my dealer told me there is no parts needed. Only rewiring it
That is incorrect - they need to order you a new controller and the fuse that is required to be installed. They have to order up the parts and in my case I was told parts would take about a week to come in.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #27

I was told by Camping World that I needed to take a picture of the controller before they would order the kit. That involves taking the seat out to access the controller. Good luck with that! If you go to the following site and put in your vin, it will give a pdf of what is involved, kit number, etc.

http//www.forestriver.com/RecallSearch.aspx

My next step is to contact Forest River direct.....
Old 02-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #28
Commercial Member

That is incorrect. The controller is mounted up underneath the rear of the unit (behind the bumper really in the middle), not under the seat.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
That is incorrect. The controller is mounted up underneath the rear of the unit (behind the bumper really in the middle), not under the seat.
Thank you for the clarification...will have to advise the service advisor who gave me that information....I can do that when the snow melts in the storage area.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #30

What a cluster ***k...I took my Forester to the dealer last Tuesday with an appointment to fix it Wednesday. Couldn't get anyone to call be back so I sent an email Friday telling them I was going to take it home Monday (today) between 4-5pm because I need it Wednesday for a riding campout with friends. Figured they would get the hint and have it ready. The service adviser called Saturday and said he thinks it was complete and he would call me back. I'm sure glad I didn't hold my breath. My wife dropped me off at 4:30 today and I told her to leave. First thing I did was to find my MH and looked underneath. Nope...same old controller. Went inside and they checked the computer and it said complete. Come to find out they used my special ordered part on someone else's rig. I was the first one to make an appointment with this dealership. I told them I wanted my keys because I was leaving. They couldn't find my keys which were attached to the work order. Finally after at least 30 minutes, a lady looked in the service writer's file cabinet and there they were...even after the dude had already looked. Not sure if I'm going to go back or not. Sure glad I didn't buy an extended warranty with these fools.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
What a cluster ***k...I took my Forester to the dealer last Tuesday with an appointment to fix it Wednesday. Couldn't get anyone to call be back so I sent an email Friday telling them I was going to take it home Monday (today) between 4-5pm because I need it Wednesday for a riding campout with friends. Figured they would get the hint and have it ready. The service adviser called Saturday and said he thinks it was complete and he would call me back. I'm sure glad I didn't hold my breath. My wife dropped me off at 4:30 today and I told her to leave. First thing I did was to find my MH and looked underneath. Nope...same old controller. Went inside and they checked the computer and it said complete. Come to find out they used my special ordered part on someone else's rig. I was the first one to make an appointment with this dealership. I told them I wanted my keys because I was leaving. They couldn't find my keys which were attached to the work order. Finally after at least 30 minutes, a lady looked in the service writer's file cabinet and there they were...even after the dude had already looked. Not sure if I'm going to go back or not. Sure glad I didn't buy an extended warranty with these fools.
Why not save someone else the same experience you had.

Please tell us the city and name of the dealer who treated you so badly.

They WILL lose business if their reputation suffers because of their incompetence!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #32

Look like Bob went to the same dealer as I did here in Washington State. I know exactly what it feel like but can't do anything about it.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #33

Here is your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysunseekermbs View Post
I have owned mine for 15 months, The Curt problem occurred during the first week of ownership, in the first rain. Same thing happened to others on here. Same thing happened to my friend who bought exact same model as me in the first rain.

I just received the recall notice on Tuesday, I was extremely annoyed at the paragraph that stsrts by sayinf your RV was built on a Mercedes drivetrain.... Forest River is trying to relay or infer the message that this is a Mercedes issue. It then went on to say overheating? What? What?

It should say, the Curt manual clearly states the controller should be placed out of the direct spray of water. We at Forest River thought mounting behind the dual rear tires was a great idea and a nice dry place. We were wrong. It is irrelevant what type of chassis the RV is built on...

I have said before and I will say again. So glad I replaced and fixed myself, I can not for the life of me figure out how it took over a year for this to be communicated and "investigated."

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
From Federal Law -

§ 577.13 Notification to dealers and distributors.
(a) The notification to dealers and distributors of a safety-related defect or a noncompliance with a Federal motor vehicle safety standard shall contain a clear statement that identifies the notification as being a safety recall notice, an identification of the motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment covered by the recall, a description of the defect or noncompliance, and a brief evaluation of the risk to motor vehicle safety related to the defect or noncompliance. The notification shall also include a complete description of the recall remedy, and the estimated date on which the remedy will be available. Information required by this paragraph that is not available at the time of the original notification shall be provided as it becomes available.
(b) The notification shall also include an advisory stating that it is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by the notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
(c) The manufacturer shall, upon request of the Administrator, demonstrate that it sent the required notification to each of its known dealers and distributors and the date of such notification.

So if FR had not "investigated" for so long and instead more promptly admitted the defect, they would have had to stop delivering these vehicles until they developed the remedy.

I'm sure the response might be "we weren't sure there was an issue". They could buy a lot of time "investigating" prior to issuing the recall so they didn't have to suspend production and sales.

It appears they developed the remedy and instituted a production change before they announced the recall didn't they? To me that says a lot.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
Look like Bob went to the same dealer as I did here in Washington State. I know exactly what it feel like but can't do anything about it.
Not Washington...just Arizona. Big dealerships are probably all like this. Mine was in Avondale and leaving bad reviews won't do anything. They already have mostly bad ones. Another good reason why I didn't buy an extended warranty. I can fix anything better than they can and if I can't, I have friends who can.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
From Federal Law -

§ 577.13 Notification to dealers and distributors.
(a) The notification to dealers and distributors of a safety-related defect or a noncompliance with a Federal motor vehicle safety standard shall contain a clear statement that identifies the notification as being a safety recall notice, an identification of the motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment covered by the recall, a description of the defect or noncompliance, and a brief evaluation of the risk to motor vehicle safety related to the defect or noncompliance. The notification shall also include a complete description of the recall remedy, and the estimated date on which the remedy will be available. Information required by this paragraph that is not available at the time of the original notification shall be provided as it becomes available.
(b) The notification shall also include an advisory stating that it is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by the notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
(c) The manufacturer shall, upon request of the Administrator, demonstrate that it sent the required notification to each of its known dealers and distributors and the date of such notification.

So if FR had not "investigated" for so long and instead more promptly admitted the defect, they would have had to stop delivering these vehicles until they developed the remedy.

I'm sure the response might be "we weren't sure there was an issue". They could buy a lot of time "investigating" prior to issuing the recall so they didn't have to suspend production and sales.

It appears they developed the remedy and instituted a production change before they announced the recall didn't they? To me that says a lot.

Here is my opinion of this recall...

I don't believe this FIX is the right thing. They are putting in a different brand in the same location. From what others have stated, the new controller needs to be installed in a dry space. Sometimes engineers don't have any common sense.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Here is my opinion of this recall...

I don't believe this FIX is the right thing. They are putting in a different brand in the same location. From what others have stated, the new controller needs to be installed in a dry space. Sometimes engineers don't have any common sense.
It does sound like the Hopkins controller is heavier duty than the Curt originally installed. What surprises me the most is the addition of the in-line fuses. Does this mean the original circuit was not protected at all? Or was the circuit protection too high in amperage?

I don't disagree that the location of the installation is a poor choice. The Hopkins claims to be fully potted, although FR claimed the Curt was too.

I guess we will see if these things last or there is yet another recall to add to the list of FR recalls.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #37

The original Curt installation is protected by a 25 amp fuse under the driver's seat (#10). I know this because the fuse blew while we were trying to connect our toad to the 7 pin plug by the hitch on the motorhome. To make the connection work I had to by-pass the original plug wiring with a patch direct from the controller to the plug. We were taking our 2400W to FR to handle the recall, as we are on the road and getting to the dealer for us is really inconvenient.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #38

OK. I have read enough. I will buy the parts and install them myself. It is just not worth the inconvenience and aggravation to go through a dealer.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #39

What's wrong with leaving the Curt on if it's working? Seems like water is the issue. I fabricated a sheet metal cover for mine and drove about 500 miles in the rain just before I took it in to get changed...which hasn't happened yet AND may not.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #40

Quote:
What's wrong with leaving the Curt on if it's working? Seems like water is the issue. I fabricated a sheet metal cover for mine and drove about 500 miles in the rain just before I took it in to get changed...which hasn't happened yet AND may not.
That's my plan -- buy the parts and keep them on hand for if or when I need them. Call it insurance. I have over 25,000 miles on it and no problems so far. Some of those miles have been in the rain. I did move the controller up a bit higher and covered it to protect it from the spray when this issue was first mentioned on the forums.

Tags
controller, recall