Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #1

Dash cupholders mods?

Has anyone found an insert for the cupholder on top of the dash in the Sprinters that makes them more functional? They may not even be cupholders; they certainly don't hold most cups or bottles very well. Thanks.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

Nope, I don't have any inserts or such.

But, I did create my own cup and snack holders which I position between the front seats. I found a plastic storage bin which fits a little snugly between the seats and has a top which is flat and folds into a depression around the edge of the bin. I removed the top completely.

I cut a piece of MDF to fit where the top was and cut four circular holes in the MDF. I cut two holes designed to be large enough to hold larger drink cups from gas stations and the like, maybe 3 inches in diameter. I cut the other two to be the right size to hold those circular plastic food storage containers - about 6 inches in diameter.

So, with the container between the seats, we've got spots for two large drinks and two containers to hold our chips and pretzels. And there's space in the container below for other miscellaneous stuff like pressure gauges.

The setup does make it a bit more difficult to move between the coach and the cab - kinda have to step over things a bit - but it's very handy when driving.

Dave
Old 05-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

Good idea. We currently have a Rubbermaid container that we store under the table while on the road, where we stow hiking shoes and misc. items. A slightly smaller one that would fit between the seats , and modified the way you did might just do the trick. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #4

More info...

The container I used was a Storex "File Tote with Folding Lid Inside":

Here's a picture of the open top, with the depression around the edge:

Here's the insert I made to go into the depression (note that I made it a little small and added rubber weather stripping around the edges so it stays in pretty snugly):

Here it is in action, with a cup and a food storage bowl:

And here's a better pic of that bowl...not sure who made it - Glad or someone like that:

Hope this helps!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7711.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	171778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7712.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	171779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7713.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	171780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7714.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	171781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7715.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	171782  

Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #5

Very clean looking. I had not thought of using a clear container; would help when looking for items. Thanks for posting the photos.