Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #1

Diesel generator unavailable...

I have had a Forester 2401T on order with deposit since early July and today I got a call from dealer saying diesel generator no longer available and we need to switch to LP. LP is a no go for us as we will be going to college track meets for the next 6 years with our dog and are there from 8am-10pm. I am not even sure if 12 gallon tank of LP can supply 12 hours of run time. We are not sure how to move forward at this point and are frustrated to say the least. Maybe open up to used market.
jmac705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:17 AM   #2

You wont be loved by the other campers, but a small diesel gen set could be mounted in a sound box on the rear bumper if its under 400lbs might work for you.

Plan B might might be a tiny trailer to carry the gen set and fuel.

Of course a propane gen set is cleaner and quieter and far less maint than diesel, so the trailer might just carry a half dozen 100lb tanks of propane.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #3
Site Team

According to the specs for the standard LP generator for the at RV usage is .7 gal/hr at 100% load. So that's 17 hours run time on a 12 gallon LP tank. Of course it's never going to run at 100% load for the entire time, so you'll actually get more run time than that.

I think you could add an Extend-A-Stay and a 30 lb cylinder or larger and have plenty of LP to satisfy your needs.

It may even be possible to install a larger onboard tank or even have a second onboard tank installed.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #4

and the generator runs off the same Propane system that supplies the rest of the RV, including the quick disconnect at the rear bumper. I expect is would pretty easy to adapt a 2nd tank with regulator to supply the system backwards through this quick disconnect if needed.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #5

Diesel Generator

We have a 2018 2400 MBS with a diesel generator, your reason for wanting a diesel generator is the same reason we looked for a long time, till we found a diesel generator. We have run over 40 hrs. dry camping in a parking lot to keep the AC on for dogs. We would turn it off when we would come back between events. We always top our diesel tank before we park and if you ever ran the tank low it will shut the generator off and still leave you a 1/4 tank of fuel. We have never had to run the generator that long. The gauge hardly moves after the weekend and Diesel is the only way to go. Thanks
rotdoxdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator