Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

DO NOT Clear Check-Engine Codes !

We recently had Emissions Codes appear for two NOX sensors (I think there are only two). I have an 'automatic' ODB2 reader, and after it read the codes, I decided to clear them to see if they would re-appear. Some time shortly after that the dreaded 'countdown' started with 9 'cranks'. I took it to a local MB Sprinter dealer and he said the countdown occurred because I did not use an MB device to clear the codes, so the 'tamper' logic caused the countdown to begin. Also, because I cleared the codes the dealer could not prove what happened, so would not be able to cover the problem(s) under warranty. They updated the software and told me to being it back if it happens again. NOX sensor issues would not prevent me from continuing to drive the Sprinter.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #2

Translation; you better not try and fix the problem yourself, otherwise MB will lose out on valuable service bay profits. What make and model are you running, I didn't encounter that issue with my NOX failure/read/clear sequence.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

Yup they want you to bring it back to them.......... Something sounds wrong here ....... a dealer issue ???????

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #4

I do not understand the commentary about the dealer - dealer problem - service bay time... They could not perform warranty work because the codes were deleted... Everything in that engine is computerized, and MB and every other manufacturer rely on the codes to diagnose and perform repairs. My reading is that the dealer could not perform the repair without the codes, updated the software, and, presumably, will do the warranty work if/when the codes reappear. The OP is letting us know not to delete the codes so we do not have the same experience, which is good to know. Thanks for the info!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-31-2016, 04:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
I do not understand the commentary about the dealer - dealer problem - service bay time... They could not perform warranty work because the codes were deleted... Everything in that engine is computerized, and MB and every other manufacturer rely on the codes to diagnose and perform repairs. My reading is that the dealer could not perform the repair without the codes, updated the software, and, presumably, will do the warranty work if/when the codes reappear. The OP is letting us know not to delete the codes so we do not have the same experience, which is good to know. Thanks for the info!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
The issue is that their software includes an additional feature which, when the consumer tries to repair and or take care of things himself, FORCES the consumer to use Mercedes and only Mercedes service (and resultant extreme costs).

Owners should be able to diagnose and repair their own vehicles if they want to, and have the freedom to take their vehicles to whatever shop they want to.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
The issue is that their software includes an additional feature which, when the consumer tries to repair and or take care of things himself, FORCES the consumer to use Mercedes and only Mercedes service (and resultant extreme costs).

Owners should be able to diagnose and repair their own vehicles if they want to, and have the freedom to take their vehicles to whatever shop they want to.
Exactly.

Also, to the commenter who didn't understand what might be going on here, some MB models, not the Sprinter, no longer have an oil drain plug, which then precludes the owner from doing his own oil changes. How did they accomplish this you ask. Well, MB has their own proprietary tool that extracts the oil from the top of certain engines. Now why do you think they did that. Average cost of an oil change in those gas motors, around $250. Hope this helps puts the OP's post, a little more in focus.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #7

When a codes sets, the on board computer takes a snapshop of all data (Mode 6) and stores it. This information is extremely valuable to anyone who is working to troubleshot a problem.

When the codes are cleared, the freeze frame data is also cleared. Without the freeze frame data, most attempts to repair a problem are at best, a guess.

If you are under warranty or generally take your vehicle to a shop for repair, I would not clear any codes.

If you're a DIYer with a scan tool, study up on Mode 6, make sure your scanner is capable of reading it. There is a lot of valuable information in Mode 6 that can save you time and money.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Exactly.

Also, to the commenter who didn't understand what might be going on here, some MB models, not the Sprinter, no longer have an oil drain plug, which then precludes the owner from doing his own oil changes. How did they accomplish this you ask. Well, MB has their own proprietary tool that extracts the oil from the top of certain engines. Now why do you think they did that. Average cost of an oil change in those gas motors, around $250. Hope this helps puts the OP's post, a little more in focus.
Yeah this is another reason I returned to a Ford chassis. Simpler and less expensive service, fewer controls.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #9

Question - if you make a repair yourself based on info from the OBE, without clearing the codes, will the system show the now repaired problem with the next engine start.

Comment - if you believe that other auto manufacturers are not designing systems and writing software to gain more control over their products and product maintenance, dream on. Aside from doing everything they can to enhance their bottom line, the complexity of the systems and the proprietary nature of the software demands these measures, if for no other reason, to protect themselves from lawsuits.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #10

Seems to me if you clear a code with out fixing the problem the code will come back on the next start up cycle.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #11

Some codes (most) will auto clear the Check engine light but remain in memory for some time. Then given enough start cycles, they will clear out of memory.

i.e. the famous Evap slow leak P0422 will clear itself if the OBC successfully completes the entire Evap canister purge cycle and doesn't detect a leak. This code is usually set when you forget to put the gas cap on.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #12

[QUOTE=ilmor;1276049]The issue is that their software includes an additional feature which, when the consumer tries to repair and or take care of things himself, FORCES the consumer to use Mercedes and only Mercedes service (and resultant extreme costs).

We've had work done on our Mercedes Sprinter at two different Mercedes dealerships - one in Scottsdale, AZ, and one in Sioux Falls, SD, and both did so with reasonable cost to us. The fees for the work done didn't seem any different than having work done locally at our Jeep and Chevrolet dealerships (for our other vehicles.)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
RailwayRog

What year sprinter is the OP referencing?
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayRog View Post
What year sprinter is the OP referencing?
It's a 2015 Solera on a 2014 MB 3500.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #15
RailwayRog

I've got the older version, doesn't seem to have that problem since I've clear codes a lot.
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Some codes (most) will auto clear the Check engine light but remain in memory for some time. Then given enough start cycles, they will clear out of memory.

i.e. the famous Evap slow leak P0422 will clear itself if the OBC successfully completes the entire Evap canister purge cycle and doesn't detect a leak. This code is usually set when you forget to put the gas cap on.
The OP posted in the MB forum to discuss MB Sprinter issue. It is best to stay vehicle specific in posting, based on your MB knowledge in the area of the OP topic. Otherwise, the thread becomes poluted with mine (ford chassis) does this. Not constructive to the OP's original intent. In learning, your post on the "mode 6" was very informative. I assume all OBD II computers have a mode six retention, although I do not know for sure. The problem occurs when certain manufacturers, try to make some facets of the diagnostics proprietary, just not sure in this case however. Just sayin'