Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2022, 05:08 PM   #1

Dynamax Service and Tire rotation requirements

I am a new clueless '21 Dynamax Isata 3 '19 Mercedes Sprinter Chassis RV owner. After one year and no information from Forest River, Dynamax or Mercedes on when and what service to have done I just took my RV into our local Mercedes Service Dept. after 11 months and 10,114 miles for service. Per a certified tech, a tire rotation should be done. The two rear steel rimmed inner tires were rotated and the two rear outer aluminum rimmed outer tires were rotated to the front on each respective side. The attached photos show the outcome. The now rear rims are pitted and black with what I assume to be brake dust from when they were on the front. Also one cap was broken when they took it off. I spent 3 hours trying to clean them and this was as far as I got. Is this normal or did I get taken. The service manager said I was responsible for both the cleaning and buying the new cap. Just doesn't sound right. Should I just have them put the outer tires back where they were. The rim finish looked like new when I took the RV in for service. Also, is there anywhere I can find a detailed list of what and when to do service like you would see and a car owners manual. Forest River, Dynamax and Mercedes national customer service centers all say the local tech's will tell me what is required. Just doesn't sound right. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220512_154911.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	695.9 KB
ID:	273128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220512_154954.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	273129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220512_154927.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	273130   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220512_154940.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	679.8 KB
ID:	273131  
Art Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:50 AM   #2

If your unhappy then have the wheels swapped back. Personally I have stopped rotating the tires . The fronts will wear faster, the rears will wear slower. The reality for most is that these vehicles are not your daily drive. The tires will age out and need replacement at 5 to 6 years for cracking/splits/dry rot before the faster wear on the front tires has to be addressed. Worst case you replace the fronts in 3-4 years if you full time rv. Just my opinion.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:59 AM   #3

I had both my local tire guy (have used him for over 30 years) and MB Sprinter Service manager (just got it serviced) tell me not to rotate as in previous post.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #4

I don't rotate other than fronts from side to side. Just replaced my tires that had 62,000 miles and plenty of tread. Replaced for age not wear.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I don't rotate other than fronts from side to side. Just replaced my tires that had 62,000 miles and plenty of tread. Replaced for age not wear.
This is what I would do, but also the backs side to side, as well. Is there a reason you do not do the backs?
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Peterson View Post
>snip> Also, is there anywhere I can find a detailed list of what and when to do service like you would see and a car owners manual. Forest River, Dynamax and Mercedes national customer service centers all say the local tech's will tell me what is required. Just doesn't sound right. Thanks
Search on Sprinter A and B service.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToTheForce View Post
This is what I would do, but also the backs side to side, as well. Is there a reason you do not do the backs?
Rears wear evenly so I don't see the need. Probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't rotate them.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Search on Sprinter A and B service.
The owners maintenance manual gives a fairly good list of required items. Most are checking general condition of the vehicle. Oil change, brake fluid, trans fluid, fuel filter, etc.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Rears wear evenly so I don't see the need. Probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't rotate them.
Tire rotation is recommended to prevent wear or if wear is present to even it out as much as possible to extend tire life.

With Dual Wheel applications the inner and outer tire need to be as closely matched as possible. With large truck tires this involved actually checking the circumference of each mounted and inflated tire and "pairing" those with as closely matched circumferences as possible.

With Duall Wheel/Tire applications it's really a case of "of it's not broken, don't fix it". Even wear is hard to improve on.

Put the extra effort and money into more regular front wheel alignment checks.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:08 PM   #10

X2. Having discussed with local MB Service center they don't recommend any rotation unless unusual wear is shown from mis-alignment. At most rotating the fronts might need to be made but truth be told unless your Sprinter is driven like a car normal wear and tear for a MH; tire wear is done on visual and normally from old tire age making most decisions needed.

Tags
dynamax, service, tire