Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #21
Too old to be too smart

I believe the one best reason to use one of these valves (I use a Fumoto) is that once installed, there is never a need to use the threads in the pan again, thus reducing the possibility of someone over-torquing the plug and stripping those threads.

Since I use an oil lab analysis service, it also makes it simple to draw a sample to send.

Of course, that won't prevent the kid at Jiffy Lube from pulling it out to drain your oil, but if you use one of those services, you get what you got.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:37 AM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

Then... Not put oil back in... Been there done that with a work truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #23

I just changed the oil and filter on mine today. One of my concerns would be a rubber alligator or other road debris slapping the valve unconscious and puking it's guts all over the road. I think I'll just keep my stock plug. The plug is about an inch long and only changing oil once every year or so, it's highly unlikely to get stripped.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Then I believe your putting in one quart too much.
Powerstroke Diesel Ford 6.0l engines use 15 quarts of oil. Just enough to make buying it a pain since I buy it in gallon containers.
POS Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
I just changed the oil and filter on mine today. One of my concerns would be a rubber alligator or other road debris slapping the valve unconscious and puking it's guts all over the road. I think I'll just keep my stock plug. The plug is about an inch long and only changing oil once every year or so, it's highly unlikely to get stripped.
On the Fumoto, the lever is not just simply moved over. You have to engage it properly before it will open. I had the same worries you mentioned until I bought one and saw for myself how they are designed. There are other safety mechanism available to use as back up also. I have had mine since my truck was new, they are a rock solid alternative to making a big mess when changing oil on a large oil capacity diesel.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #26
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Camaro View Post
Powerstroke Diesel Ford 6.0l engines use 15 quarts of oil. Just enough to make buying it a pain since I buy it in gallon containers.
X3.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
On the Fumoto, the lever is not just simply moved over. You have to engage it properly before it will open. I had the same worries you mentioned until I bought one and saw for myself how they are designed. There are other safety mechanism available to use as back up also. I have had mine since my truck was new, they are a rock solid alternative to making a big mess when changing oil on a large oil capacity diesel.
Didn't loose a single drop when I drained it into a 5 gallon oil pan. Just don't like things hanging from oil pan farther than they need to.I don't see any advantage to have it. Just my opinion. YMMV
Old 06-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
Didn't loose a single drop when I drained it into a 5 gallon oil pan. Just don't like things hanging from oil pan farther than they need to.I don't see any advantage to have it. Just my opinion. YMMV
Ha! you must be Jiffy Lube material...Try draining into a container with a one inch hole in it...How much of that black oil are you getting all over your hands when you remove the plug? How many rags do you have on stand by? I'm just guessing it's not for you and that's fine but the advantages are there. They are great for doing what they are supposed to do, making it easier to do an oil change. As far as hanging farther from the oil pan it really doesn't hang down that much, never had a problem off roading with it. I was a doubter like you until I tried one...MMDV
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #29

The problem I have with changing the oil on a Ford Gas Class A is that the drain plug is above the crossmember and oil wants to drip all over the crossmember making a mess.
JohnMirada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #30

I used a Fumoto on my last truck. Haven't gotten one for this truck yet. Painless oil change on a Cummins. I used an old outboard fuel tank and it just fit under the valve. Never a mess. Then I used the bottom portion of a 2 liter pop bottle as a cup under the filter to catch any spillage. Hardly got my hands dirty.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
Ha! you must be Jiffy Lube material...Try draining into a container with a one inch hole in it...How much of that black oil are you getting all over your hands when you remove the plug? How many rags do you have on stand by? I'm just guessing it's not for you and that's fine but the advantages are there. They are great for doing what they are supposed to do, making it easier to do an oil change. As far as hanging farther from the oil pan it really doesn't hang down that much, never had a problem off roading with it. I was a doubter like you until I tried one...MMDV
Funny...Jiffy Lube material. Nope, just a dumb HVAC contractor...well at least I was till a couple of days ago. Just sold my company and get to retire at 58. Still wouldn't put this on my Mercedes diesel with an aluminum pan and sorta out in the open. Also, if you let gravity work for you, you don't get any oil on your hands, just sayn...Later
Old 10-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #32

Fuel filter

Im looking to change my fuel filter on my coachman diesel sprinter and would like to ask how often is a good milage , i have heard different numbers .
Thank you
SDFD911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #33

I believe the manual states every 20,000 miles on the fuel filter. That's when I had my changed.

Tags
drain