Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2022, 02:03 PM   #21

I used to have black foam pipe insulation I cut to fit my wipers. it comes pre split down one side. cut the correct length and stick it on the wiper blades/arm while in storage. the correct size will actualy fit over both when they are in parked position.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #22

The first thing I would address concerning this Sprinter.

I have a 2012 Forest River Solera 24MS and I am the original owner. The first thing I would check out is if this Sprinter has all the current emissions upgrades Mercedes Benz was mandated to do by the courts to meet federal emissions requirements. In the case of my Sprinter they replaced the engine control computer, the diesel particulate filter and the catalytic converter. No cost to me, plus I received a check for over $3,000.00 for my trouble and a free Uber ride 40 miles back to my house from the dealer.

After all the emissions updates Mercedes Benz upped the oil change interval alert from 10,000 miles to 20,000 miles. I have always had the recommended service done with Mercedes blend of Mobil One and their recommended oil filter. Considering what these chassis cost and the cost of replacement parts it just makes sense to me to let them do the work so that they can look everything else over at the same time. If it were a less sophisticated gasoline GM or Ford engine I would probably handle the work in some other fashion but it isn't.

In the years that I have had my Sprinter based motorhome the only issues I have had while traveling was to get the EGR valve reprogrammed at a Mercedes dealer in Shreveport, Louisiana in 2013 and a drain and fuel filter replacement in 2015 in Iowa after I made the mistake of grabbing the wrong fuel nozzle at a BP station, my fault. This year 2022 on a short trip for the Fourth of July I had to limp into a Mercedes dealer at The Woodlands, Texas about two hours into our trip to have an intercooler hose replaced on the hot side of the turbocharger. They dropped everything to get me back on the way and replaced the the hose while I waited. It was worth it to me to pay the extra cost so I could get on my way. I could have easily replaced the $150.00 hose if I could have found one right away but I had people waiting on me and a pet in the motorhome. In an hour and a half they had me on my way.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:46 PM   #23

If you like t6 stick with it. Use the 5W 40. I have since about 8000 miles on my 2014 Solara. 30k on it now. No problems. I recommend changing your oil about every 5 to 6000 miles or once a year. Also use the Mann filter Which is what Mercedes uses on their OE filters. You may want to change the oil filter every 3000 miles. I also live in Arizona and maybe the 5W 40 oil will hold up better in the higher temperatures and heavy loads carried in a motor home.
BatteryBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #24

Does remember if there is washer on the oil plug. Just changed oil on my 2015 chassis and don't see one.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
Does remember if there is washer on the oil plug. Just changed oil on my 2015 chassis and don't see one.

As I recall, there is a copper crush washer on the drain plug. Did the washer stay in place around the drain hole?

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #26

Found the copper washer in the funnel to my recycle can.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
Found the copper washer in the funnel to my recycle can.

Nice find!!

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
The clip to my windshield washer broke also I had it taped on with electricians tape. When I took my rig in for the Emissions recall I had a new clip put on it was cheap. The service tech suggested that I put the tape on it to protect it from the sun, He called it a cheap part. Was the emissions recall performed by the previous owner? Did they place all the new paperwork it the owners manual? There are warranty extensions on all emission components. The recall has to be done by October. That long overdo on an oil change makes me wonder if the had the recall done. In the MBS section under motorhomes you can read about the recall if you aren't familiar with it. You got a nice low mileage rig Enjoy!
Thanks

Yes the Emissions recall was done.
I'm pretty sure it's had an oil change before I did it.
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryBill View Post
If you like t6 stick with it. Use the 5W 40. I have since about 8000 miles on my 2014 Solara. 30k on it now. No problems. I recommend changing your oil about every 5 to 6000 miles or once a year. Also use the Mann filter Which is what Mercedes uses on their OE filters. You may want to change the oil filter every 3000 miles. I also live in Arizona and maybe the 5W 40 oil will hold up better in the higher temperatures and heavy loads carried in a motor home.
Yes big fan of the T6, and my buddy who is pretty knowledgeable on oils and mechanical stuff said it would be fine.

I just didn't want to mess around with my luck and went with the spec oil the manual called for.
I used Penzoil Euro Synthetic I posted it on the first page.

Thanks 👍
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote