Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #1

house battery disconnect.

2016 mbs2401R... there is a round switch next to the door, on and off. I've searched all my documentation and scanned thru forums but can't locate answer. What are the appropriate usage, should it be off when you are in a storage area. If you run genny should it be on or off. I know these are kinda dumb but i just want to make sure we are doing the right thing. Thanks
funky40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #2

That is the battery disconnect switch. However, it does not kill power to everything - things like the CO/Propane detector stay powered and do drain the batteries.

When I store mine, i disconnect the negative lead on the batteries - the one that goes back to the chassis ground. This truly kills all power to the coach.

When you want battery power to the coach. the switch needs to be on. The same for charging running the generator.

Hope that helps.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #3

I thought mine turned off everything accept the electric steps. but I could test that some day to be sure.

and the solar is wired so it still charges batteries when this switch is off.
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I thought mine turned off everything accept the electric steps. but I could test that some day to be sure.

and the solar is wired so it still charges batteries when this switch is off.

Radio memory and display are typically still on as well as the CO/Propane detector. The easy way to tell is to connect an ammeter and see what the draw is.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky40 View Post
2016 mbs2401R... there is a round switch next to the door, on and off. I've searched all my documentation and scanned thru forums but can't locate answer. What are the appropriate usage, should it be off when you are in a storage area. If you run genny should it be on or off. I know these are kinda dumb but i just want to make sure we are doing the right thing. Thanks
The disconnect switch in the coach on our rig shuts off the power to the generator. We cannot start the generator if the house battery is off. It also shuts off MOST of the electric to the coach, but there is still a parasitic drain that will drain the house battery in storage.

To make certain that the house battery is disconnected, remove the negative cable on the battery itself. HOWEVER, completely disconnecting the battery might result in retractable steps not working if you have them so be careful.

Read the instructions in your users manual for the Mercedes. The storage instructions for our RAM says if storing for over 2 weeks then remove the negative battery cable or put it on a battery maintainer. Apparently there is a parasitic drain on the chassis battery also.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #6

This is what I installed and it's really been great:

Battery Doctor 20138 Battery Disconnect Knife Switch for Top Post Terminal 12v Battery Kill Switch for Negative Post Perfect for Saving Car Battery - Made In USA
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000CQBN...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully everyone knows that the MBS chassis has a built-in battery disconnect too?? It's in the owner's manual and is located near the gas pedal. It's a little tricky to get off at first but once you get the hang of it, it's quick and easy. Must wait 10 minutes after shutting down engine to disconnect. It's been really grate for preventing battery drain while in storage.

Instructions and diagram: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...page=90#manual
Old 03-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #7

Label it for clarity

Old 04-21-2021, 08:30 AM   #8

We had ours in "storage" mode (battery disconnected) for about a week. When I switched it back to ON, the radio and fan only flickered for a second and didn't stay on. Does this mean the batteries are drained? When I started the engine it did come on again, I assume because the chassi alternator also charge the in-house batteries. I there an easy way to tell how much charge the batteries have? The OneControl panel only tells us voltage, but I guess we want to know the amperage right? We only had this Rv (MBS 2401W) for a few weeks and haven't really used it yet. Thanks!
Tornstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornstrom View Post
We had ours in "storage" mode (battery disconnected) for about a week. When I switched it back to ON, the radio and fan only flickered for a second and didn't stay on. Does this mean the batteries are drained? When I started the engine it did come on again, I assume because the chassi alternator also charge the in-house batteries. I there an easy way to tell how much charge the batteries have? The OneControl panel only tells us voltage, but I guess we want to know the amperage right? We only had this Rv (MBS 2401W) for a few weeks and haven't really used it yet. Thanks!
Apparently, disconnect switches installed from the factory, don't stop all battery usage. CO2 alarm devices, and a few other small drain devices stay on. After a few days, this can have a negative effect on your battery state of charge. (Caveat: I have never had a trailer that came with a disconnect switch)

My installed disconnect switch is at the battery, so therefore, there is no parasitic drain from the above mentioned devices and my battery remains in a high state of charge almost indefinitely.

You don't need to know the amperage of the battery, only the voltage. Voltage is the state of charge. Amperage is a reading of current moving through a wire. Every RV owner should have a multimeter. The best all around is a multimeter that has clamps that will also measure amperage running through a wire..
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:08 AM   #10

Thanks PhilFromMaine. I ordered an amp/voltage meter with clamps, it could come in handy. I guess I just find it hard to see clearly when the batteries need charging. We were told that they need charging when the voltage drops to below 12. But if my batteries were drained, how come they showed a bit more than 12v as soon as it came on again (by running the engine/alternator for just a minute)? I'm searching all posts here for relevant information, there's a lot information to take in!
Tornstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
Wanderluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
Apparently, disconnect switches installed from the factory, don't stop all battery usage. CO2 alarm devices, and a few other small drain devices stay on. After a few days, this can have a negative effect on your battery state of charge. (Caveat: I have never had a trailer that came with a disconnect switch)

My installed disconnect switch is at the battery, so therefore, there is no parasitic drain from the above mentioned devices and my battery remains in a high state of charge almost indefinitely.

You don't need to know the amperage of the battery, only the voltage. Voltage is the state of charge. Amperage is a reading of current moving through a wire. Every RV owner should have a multimeter. The best all around is a multimeter that has clamps that will also measure amperage running through a wire..
Agreed! Every RVer needs to own, and know how to use, a multi-meter. I just resolved an electrical problem a few days ago. I had a bad 15amp fuse - it looked good, with the fuse element intact - but it was bad. The only way to tell was with a multi-meter.
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect