Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 05:41 PM   #1

how to remove the water filter in Solera 24R

Hi! I've been looking for any online instructions for how to remove/replace the water filter in a MBS Solera 24R. It's stuffed in this little tiny opening under the bed and I'd like to sanitize my fresh water tank and read I should remove the filter first. But I can't see how to do that. Not only that, I've seen members state that the filter can leak and longer term I'd like to remove /bypass it.
thanks
Rachel
Rachel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #2

Any chance of posting a picture ?
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #3

I think your system is similar to (if not the same) as this:
https://www.forestriverelectronics.c...c-s-system.htm
So you should have a plastic tool, like the one shown, that fits around the filter body and allows you to unscrew the body from the fitting at the top. Once the body is loosened you can remove it, and the filter element, replace the element, and reinstall the element and body on the fitting.

A couple of notes before you do this - first, make sure your pump and fresh water connections are off. Then open a faucet to relieve any pressure in the system. Then go ahead and remove the filter body - but have some towels around as it will still spill some water.

I don't know where you'd get one of those handles if you didn't get one with your RV...
Old 09-02-2020, 05:39 AM   #4

I cut my filter out. All you need is 2 sharkbite coup and a short piece of 1/2 pex. Seem like a dumb place for a filter, plus we never drink the water from the Motorhome.
lwalkplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #5

Mine came with the plastic tool. I think some strong hands and a rubber jar opener might be used to unscrew the canister. I replace my filter yearly and have never had a problem with leaks. I agree it's in a very awkward location!
Old 09-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #6

I just replaced my water filter cartridge (located under sink in my Isata 3) and it was a bitch to unscrew - I was cursing the factory for tightening it so much. After I installed the new cartridge and only hand-tightened it I rechecked everything and discovered that the water pump apparently creates a suction that sucks the seal down tight; it was just as hard to unscrew as before. I think maintaining the fresh water filter is important because there is no way to know the quality of the water you load while across country.
P.S. My apologies to to the factory for my cursing. It hasn't leaked since.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #7

A simple strap wrench will do the trick if you don't have the handle. I think I got mine at Lowes They come in a 2 pack and the smaller one may work the best.
FishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #8

If you release the water pressure the filter comes off easily. I've never had to use the plastic wrench. Though I don't drink from tank I have found sand and grit in the bottom of the filter casing. I'd rather have it there than in my system. Many rural RV parks use well water.

Tags
solera, water, water filter