Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2022, 12:27 AM   #1

Is it OK to drive W/O Coach batteries?

So the coach batteries in my MBS Sunseeker are toast.
Previous owner marked on there 2018 so they're just 4 years old not sure if they were maintained but I've always heard good things about Interstate Batteries.

There's an Interstate battery dealer and I plan to purchase 2 more but I have to exchange mine.

The next day I'm gonna head out to my friend's house to do my 1st oil change so I will not have batteries in the coach..

Oh and on the way out I wanna go by the quarter car wash and carefully spray my engine Bay as it has a layer of DUST/DIRT on it.

Anything I should know about?

Thanks
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:41 AM   #2

You can drive without the coach batteries. You can drive with the battery master switch off.
Washing the engine should not be a problem as long as the engine is cool and you avoid air intakes and high pressure.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:06 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

1. Do yourself a favour……with your cell phone….take as many photos as you need showing how everything is connected BEFORE you disconnect anything. That’s the way to reconnect when you get new ones.

2. Just to be absolutely sure……I’d tape up any loose ends of battery cables while there’s no batteries. Battery switch ON or OFF, it’s still a good idea.

3. You might consider upgrading to maintenance free batteries or even better…..maybe AGM batteries. It’s not always easy to add water to batteries that are difficult to access, and that contributes to poor maintenance.

4. Engine washing isn’t a problem…..just don’t point any where too long at full force. My engine still looks like new after my rinse from using this……
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76D30D56-C1DE-41E4-A684-012B5D364728.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	277979  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #4

Since it’s possible that your MBS chassis alternator is capable of charging the house batteries through the BIM while you drive, I would be concerned about a hot 12 volt cable left unconnected in the empty house battery box. To be extra safe, as already mentioned in post #3, I would recommend taping up any positive cable lugs that are loose in the battery box, so as to avoid a potential short to ground.

As also mentioned already, I would look for batteries that don’t require periodic addition of water. Although the batteries in your photo are easy to access, the cables routed above the caps make it a pain to check and add water.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:39 AM   #5

Maintenance free batteries are not intended for rv’s. Their performance is typically not as good as Golf Cart batteries. However, gc2 batteries are taller and can be an issue.

Cost more as well. Costco sells the gc2 for $100 each. If you watch water levels they last a long time.

I would lean towards a 200 amp lithium as their prices have come down.

Would require other electrical mods. Measure!

AGM/maintenance free may be the best choice if the batteries are hard to get to.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:12 AM   #6

Some good info guys--THANKS!
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:49 AM   #7
Always Learning

Be aware that you have 12v batteries wired in parallel. Make sure your replacements are 12v batteries and you continue to wire them in parallel.

You can switch to 6v batteries wired in series, but your wiring will change from how it is now.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Since it’s possible that your MBS chassis alternator is capable of charging the house batteries through the BIM while you drive, I would be concerned about a hot 12 volt cable left unconnected in the empty house battery box. To be extra safe, as already mentioned in post #3, I would recommend taping up any positive cable lugs that are loose in the battery box, so as to avoid a potential short to ground.
X2... Our REV is a smaller version of a C on a RAM chassis and the chassis batteries charge the house batteries when driving. Even with everything off, the batteries are connected through the battery management system.

When you're washing the engine, you might want to disconnect the negative cable on the chassis and house batteries.

It looks like the cables are nicely labeled, but I'd still get out my label machine and label everything connected to the battery.

Tags
batteries