Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #1

Isata 3 Hellwig Rear Sway Bar

We have ordered a 2021 Isata 3 RW at the end of February, the 2019 - 2020.5 brochures showed a "Upgraded Hellwig Rear Sway Bar" as part of the chassis section. Now looking at the 2021 brochure that is no longer stated, the whole line is missing. Has Mercedes Benz changed the chassis so this is no longer needed? I am under the impression that the 2021 model year uses the 2019 chassis with just upgrades to the coach.

If it is no longer a standard option should I start looking at Hellwig for a DIY project or is it no longer a necessary item? When it arrives I will be installing the Sumo springs front (black) and rear (yellow) to help decrease the sway.

FYI our rig was supposed to come the first week of May but with the shut down and dealer closures we have no idea when it will arrive now. So all can do is line up fun ideas of what is needed and look for places we have not been to yet.

Thanks,
Tom
Moose356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #2

Have you considered waiting until you actually drive the rig and see how it handles. Keep in mind the complaints you read here about handling are a very small percentage of the overall rigs out there that performs just fine.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum. The new chassis, 2019+, has a revised rear sway bar that was close enough to the Hellwig that FR no longer installs the Hellwig. The were a lot of changes to the new 2019+ chassis, this wasn't just a quickie "touch up" by M-B.

I don't feel the need to add the Hellwig sway bar to our 2400Q. It handles much better than our "Hellwig Equipped" 2016 2400W did.

While you are looking at chassis accessories make sure you specify a 2019+ chassis. The door windows and windshield changed requiring larger covers. I ordered a exterior windshield cover and it had to go back for modifications to get it to fit correctly. A lot of things may look about the same but they aren't...

The new chassis is well worth the wait. It is light years ahead of the 2018 and earlier chassis.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:04 PM   #4

Thank you!

Maybe I am putting the wagon in front of the horse. But I am a little bored so I started thinking of upgrades I can make once it arrives. After your suggestion I will just create a list of things to do after I have driven it for awhile.

Tom
Moose356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway