Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
oreddie

K and N filter

This might be a post for another, more general forum but I'm looking for info from Sprinter owners.

An aquaintance suggested I replace the OEM engine (not cabin) air filter with a K and M filter. It's about $80 on Amazon but he swears it will give me another 5-15 horse power (HP) and better mileage than OEM and the filter has a "good forever" warranty - never has to be replaced. He's also suggested modifying the exhaust for a further HP gain.

Anyone had any experience with this filter? Has anyone modified their exhaust system and seen an HP or mileage gain?

My relatively new rig (7500 miles) - Forest River Forester 2401WS MBS - is barely making 13 MPG and that is unusually low in my 13 years of owning Sprinter based RVs.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

It's K&N and I doubt you would notice a difference in anything. As for modifying the exhaust system, it would probably void any warranty you have.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Site Team

A K&N air filter will give you more air flow, and probably a little increase in HP, but not enough to make a difference. They do last much longer than other filters, but they need to be cleaned and re-oiled on a regular basis so you have the cost of cleaner and oil. K&N products are good products, but do not work miracles.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 07-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #4

K&N filters allow much more dirt into the engine for little to no upside. Waste of money, IMO.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #5

This is my opinion based on experience.
Your acquaintance is suggesting you improve the air flow into and out off the engine, this was an easy mod years ago when engines didn't have computers and a gazillion sensors. A K&N filter (probably in conjunction with a new air box) can help you with that as long as the filter is new and has big enough holes ...., you see where I'm going with this? If you don't have a shop with a sink or a parts washer and have to clean and dry the filter in the master bath you may be doomed for the dog house. Bigger pipes on the exhaust side would help on that end but would very likely cause a bunch of sensors through all kinds of codes. Let's say you could get it to work somehow, the best you would see is an improvement in HP, not in fuel economy - most likely the opposite. Worse, if you ever need anything done on the powertrain under warranty - good luck.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
Broken Toe

K&N filters flow better because they filter less. You get more airborne particles into your engine (and into the oil) running one. For the exceedingly minimal gains you get, and the potential for harm, I personally stay far away from them. Maybe 3% better flow, up to 3 times more dirt passed through without being filtered out.

A good quality (OEM) pleated paper filter is the best.

Tim

P.S. Link to a very dense and technical article where they did a subjective test to a variety of filters. The first 3 graphs is all you really need to know.

Link Here

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 07-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Never ever try to outsmart the huge team of engineers that not only designed your vehicle, but spent millions of dollars and countless man-hours doing research and development.
Or, you could just blow off what they developed and do your own thing. Your choice.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #8

I have used a K&N filter replacement on my Duramax for 150k miles. I like them as I can just clean every so often and reuse it. Much cheaper than continually buying new filters.

As far as increasing your mpg, not likely enough to notice.

You can find all kinds of studies of air filter effectiveness. Most of them are BS, and if you don't like one graph, just look for another one. I always think the graphs that show one filter is bad or good can be explained by who sponsored the study.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
K&N filters flow better because they filter less.
Yep...seen quite a few studies where they do flow measurements and put an additional screen behind the filter that shows what can get by. I would never put a K&N filter on any vehicle I own. Plus, if it's a gas engine, very easy to destroy the MAF.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
Never ever try to outsmart the huge team of engineers that not only designed your vehicle, but spent millions of dollars and countless man-hours doing research and development.

Or, you could just blow off what they developed and do your own thing. Your choice.

Do keep in mind those engineers are designing our vehicles being strapped by government regulations!

Russell
Old 07-31-2018, 07:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Installing a K&N is a mistake.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
K&N filters allow much more dirt into the engine for little to no upside. Waste of money, IMO.
Used them for years on many vehicles with no problems.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Used them for years on many vehicles with no problems.

Happy for you, still doesn’t change the facts.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Happy for you, still doesn’t change the facts.
Facts? Now that's funny
Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Facts? Now that's funny

I ran a K&N drop in panel filter on a Jeep with the 4.0 about 20 years ago. Most places it went off road were pretty dusty and after 10k miles there was a fine layer of just inside the intake tube between the filter and throttle body. The K&N went into the trash.

So you’re saying my personal experience that jives with the multiple different tests showing the filters have poor filter efficiency are lies? [emoji848]

Your vehicle and your money, but let’s not try and defend our choices by calling people or tests liars or staged tests. ✌️
Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
I ran a K&N drop in panel filter on a Jeep with the 4.0 about 20 years ago. Most places it went off road were pretty dusty and after 10k miles there was a fine layer of just inside the intake tube between the filter and throttle body. The K&N went into the trash.

So you’re saying my personal experience that jives with the multiple different tests showing the filters have poor filter efficiency are lies? [emoji848]

Your vehicle and your money, but let’s not try and defend our choices by calling people or tests liars or staged tests. [emoji111]️
Hey, I didn't call anybody a liar, you just chose to take it that way. But facts are dependent on ones experience and source. And mine are completely different than yours with regards to K&N filters. And for every test that shows one type of filter is bad, there is another that "proves" it isn't.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Hey, I didn't call anybody a liar, you just chose to take it that way. But facts are dependent on ones experience and source. And mine are completely different than yours with regards to K&N filters. And for every test that shows one type of filter is bad, there is another that "proves" it isn't.

I haven’t seen a single test other than what K&N themselves provided the results for that show them as being good filters and I’ve seen a number of independent tests paid for and performed by people that had no affiliation with a competing filter. They had no reason to skew the tests or results.

We’re not going to see eye to eye here, so enjoy your filter. [emoji112]
Old 07-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #18

Quote:
I had the exact same thing happen. I had a Suburban and saw the exact same thing with dust after the filter and was confirmed when I read some of the tests. It went into the trash too.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I had the exact same thing happen. I had a Suburban and saw the exact same thing with dust after the filter and was confirmed when I read some of the tests. It went into the trash too.
Gee, and I've had ONE for 11 years and 150k and my intake tubes are pristine. Wonder what the difference is?
Old 07-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Gee, and I've had ONE for 11 years and 150k and my intake tubes are pristine. Wonder what the difference is?
Your eyes are bad?
Closed Thread