Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
oreddie

LED failures

I don't know if these LED lights are unique to the Mercedes versions by Forest River, or not. Advanced apologies if I should be posting on a more-specific forum.

My 2017 2401WS has digital controls for most lighting; bathroom and over the dinette being the exception and controlled by switches.

The bank of lights over the "kitchen" (sink and stove) turn on but go out immediately. A short time later one of the two switch-controlled lights in the bathroom started to flicker - strobe-like.

I haven't messed with the kitchen lamps but thought I might disconnect the flickering bulb for a short-term solution. When I removed the cover and dropped the bulb panel, the other lamp went out. There's only a small hole in the ceiling where the wiring comes in so I can't see beyond that.

Any thoughts? Should I try to replace them all? Could it be the OneControl?
Old 07-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #2

I have the same unit and have replaced 6 lights so far. They were flickering just like yours.
WYOpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #3

Yup - I have a 2017 Forester 2401 MBS with all switchable lights, and have had several of the LED ceiling lights do the flicker strobe thing. My service center inspected, and seems to be the lamp itself going bad rather than the electrical wiring or switch. All good after replacing lamps - could not find exact OEM lamps so replaced with pretty close match.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
oreddie

LED Failures

Thanks for the replies. I'll post an update after the new ones are installed.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #5
oreddie

Oh Boy

I replaced the flickering lights and those that did not work outright (over the kitchen and one in the bathroom). None will light so I'm suspecting the OneControl. Looks like I'm going to have to take it in for service. My last thought is to use a meter and see if oper is going to the connections but my daughter has my meter so I'll check later.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Most of the LED fixtures in RVs are hybrid lights consisting of the LED itself and an RF circuit to power it. In many cases the RF components are low quality designed for 12V. DC power in RV can exceed this by 2 volts occasionally and eventually destroy the transformer. When replacing them be sure to find higher quality modules that can tolerate the voltage swings.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #7

My 2017 2401ws has the same command electronics leds inside and out they don't like damp air. And have replaced two so far
par sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #8
oreddie

LED Failures Repaired

It seems that the control board failed and had to be replaced. Tech said the original had a short somewhere ("can press on back of board and make lights come on and go off - could be a bad solder or bad connection of broken line on the print board") and was acting really wonky. Replacing the board got the kitchen lights working and stopped the flickering in the dinette lights.

Tags
led