Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Question leveling a 2401R MBS

just traded for a Forester 2401R which has the stab. jacks. My question what is the best way to level when the back is lower than the front. I was told at one time not to have one end off ground ( now forgot which end) I presume its safe to use lego type blocks. Just a little confused. We got into a situation last year on our other model that we couldn't get the back end up high enough to make sure the bubbles were level. I want to make sure we don't damage the refrig when off level. Any one want to educate me properly??? Thanks
Betty
funky40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure you have stabilizer jacks, NOT 'lifting/leveling' jacks. Stablizer jacks help to keep the RV from rocking when you are camped and walking around inside.
I use the 'lego blocks' to build up a ramp for whatever wheel(s) need some height adjustment. Then you can use the stabilizer jacks, but they might need a block or two under them.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #3

We have a 2400R and also use the yellow “LEGO” blocks. Stabilizer jacks are not really for leveling although once in a while you can raise the rear just a couple of inches with them.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #4

stabilizers

We have owned a 2400W for a couple of years now. Ours came with the rear "stabilizers". Ours seems to have a front down rake angle. It was a rare campsite when we didn't need to raise the front of the coach. I found 1x8 and 2x8 (w/ 45 degree end cut) boards worked best for the front lift. The rear stabilizers help, but.... the independent front still allows rocking motion when walking around. They are not designed to lift, just "stabilize". So far, never found I couldn't find "close enough" level to risk fridge issue though. We did have the Bigfoot leveling system installed. Just sorry I didn't have it from day one. WOW, Park, power up, hit auto level, and done. Rock solid, no movement. Truly love our little coach, blessed to have experienced it. Best wishes...
63timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63timbo View Post
We did have the Bigfoot leveling system installed.
This is a great option - makes life much easier - but it really cuts into the limited cargo capacity of the MBS chassis. Do you know how much weight it adds to the coach?

Dave
Old 01-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #6

leveling 2400W

I like a pair of glued 2x12,2x10,2x8 blocks carried behind the driver to level the back of the BRT. 3yrs and 20K miles and they've never let me down. The jacks just take out some of the rocking. We love the 2400W.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

You We own a 2015 2401R and drove to Elkhart, Indiana, over the Thanksgiving holiday and had Equalizer Systems install four-way levelers with pads , remove the rear stabilizers, install Sumo Shocks, and reroute the muffler for $4500. They did a terrific job. It took them seven hours. Now the yellow blocks are no longer needed, and the refrigerator is not subject to an uneven campsite. They’re perfect and well worth the expense. In addition, due to the levelers, our two slides are not subject to being tweaked. The last time we camped was in Mammoth Lakes. It took my husband four tries to get our MBS level, and it still wasn’t level. We are in our mid sixties now and do not want to waste time. Just push the button and wella —our rig is level. We could not be happier and we Love them!!!!!!!! Just wish that we hadn’t waited so long.
travelininmymbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
This is a great option - makes life much easier - but it really cuts into the limited cargo capacity of the MBS chassis. Do you know how much weight it adds to the coach?

Dave
If I remember correctly from other thread discussions, they add about 130 lbs. We added this option and the aluminum wheels to help offset the additional weight.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #9

Nope. We replaced the stabilizers with levelers. A few xtra pounds. Not much. Well worth the weight.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #10

100lbs more. The weight of a petite woman.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #11

I saw a fellow put too much weight on his FR rear stabilizer. Not pretty. And it could not be retracted fully for travel so had to be unbolted and removed. I'm much more careful with mine since seeing that.

When possible I increase the effectiveness of my rear stabilizer by scratching a V groove fore-aft where each foot will land. I then place an 8-12" 2x4 along the outward slope of that V groove. The stabilizer pivoting foot lands on that 2x4 and pushes outward as much as downward. The forces that can crumple the stabilizer are much lower for the same foot pressure. The result is a huge improvement in stability without putting extra load on the stabilizer.

Sorry, I know this does not help with your leveling problem ..... just thought it might be helpful.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #12

I kinda do the same as hclarkx except I put a 2 x 12 x 12 block under the stabilizers if we're not on paved ground. Nice big flat spot for the stabilizer to ground on.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #13

Weighing out the benefits....

Dave, thanks for the question and to the other replies. The feedback from this community has been priceless for us. I can honestly say the levelers have been truly amazing. Any weight penalty is overcome by the benefit. These chassis are heavy but our experience has shown them to be solid and reliable. When we first started camping, we brought “everything” with us. With experience we now bring only what’s needed. Some weight savings include: I never used the overhead bunk or table between driver/passenger seats, so they stay home. Removed rear stabilizers. And personal BMI <25, LOL.... Suspension upgrades to assist with this heavy chassis are as follows: Sumosprings (blue front, black rear), custom (Agile off road) Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Koni FSD front shocks, Hellwig rear sway bar, and SuperSteer rear trac bar. With time and monitoring, I now run the tire pressures 65/68 (f/r). Have ordered Alcoa wheels, can’t wait for them to arrive. Updated chassis step by step. With each providing an improvement. Road isolation and chassis response is greatly improved from where it started. A big thank you to Roy T. with Bigfoot in Lakeland, FL for a first class installation of our leveling system. It’s been the biggest single ($) upgrade to date, but zero regrets so far. Sorry for rambling, but I really have enjoyed tinkering with and using this RV...
63timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #14

Leveling

When leveling with our Forrester using the Lippert leveling auto, many times the front wheels will be off the ground. Book says not to do this and it could make it unstable. I put down three Lynx pads for each front wheel, and if not enough, I use extra patio rubber pavers that I cut up in smaller sizes. This works great to drive front wheels up on. Wheels also do not slip or push forward driving up on the Lynx pads.

It is different using stabblizers on a TT. They are not for lifting, if for not other reason on a TT it twists the frame and you can't open doors, etc.
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky40 View Post
just traded for a Forester 2401R which has the stab. jacks. My question what is the best way to level when the back is lower than the front. I was told at one time not to have one end off ground ( now forgot which end) I presume its safe to use lego type blocks. Just a little confused. We got into a situation last year on our other model that we couldn't get the back end up high enough to make sure the bubbles were level. I want to make sure we don't damage the refrig when off level. Any one want to educate me properly??? Thanks
Betty
Not a good idea to have any end off the ground but especially the rear. The rear wheels are what keeps you from rolling away, park brakes and transmission in park keep the rear wheels from rolling, lift the rear off the ground and you may move. If you are in a situation as you mentioned you need to first drive over some blocks to lift the rear end and then put blocks under the jacks. Keep in mind the further you extend the jacks the less stable your unit will be, keep the stroke of the cylinder as short as possible.

Another good idea is to always use wheel chocks, if for nothing else but for safety.

Also you have to be off level by quit a bit to damage your fridge.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #16

And as an after thought it is much easier to manually level than auto level.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63timbo View Post
Suspension upgrades to assist with this heavy chassis are as follows:

Sumosprings (blue front, black rear), custom (Agile off road) Fox 2.0 rear shocks,
Koni FSD front shocks,
Hellwig rear sway bar,
SuperSteer rear trac bar.

Updated chassis step by step. With each providing an improvement. Road isolation and chassis response is greatly improved from where it started.

A big thank you to Roy T. with Bigfoot in Lakeland, FL for a first class installation of our leveling system. It’s been the biggest single ($) upgrade to date, but zero regrets so far. Sorry for rambling, but I really have enjoyed tinkering with and using this RV...
Quite the list of upgrades here.
what did the SuperSteer rear trac bar do for you?
I have the 2018 chassis which got the builsten socks and bigwig sway bar, and I put on those same sumo parts (which made a big difference) but there has to be a way to get ride of a little more sway. Coming out of a gas station it sways if you cross uneven road, or sitting at a traffic light even a car going past makes it sway a little.

and thanks everyone here for introducing these 2 leveler names Bigfoot and Equalizer Systems. I see LCI is in here, and that would interface with my OneControl system but in past I find they don't care to sell to general public and the prices I saw on line....

any option if one is better than the other? and I am thinking about the manual system, not only is it $1K less money but I like to have control over stuff.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #18

I'm sure the different brands of levelers do pretty much the same thing. We have the Equalizer System and love it. I have read that one of the brands has a support bar that has to be removed in the event you have to use your spare tire.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #19

The power jacks r for stabilization not leveling. So use leveling pads but it’s doesn’t have to be perfect. Don’t run refrig. On a 45 angle, found that out the hard way’Lol
Jdhudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #20

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
I'm sure the different brands of levelers do pretty much the same thing. We have the Equalizer System and love it. I have read that one of the brands has a support bar that has to be removed in the event you have to use your spare tire.
That would be the BigFoot levelers. We had them installed on our 2015 2401R. I've come up with a workaround, but it's marginal at best.

To me, the most annoying part was the attitude of the company - which was basically "it is what it is". They knew it was a problem but didn't have a solution, nor did they seem to care.

You can check out my post about it here
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling