Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #1

LP vs Diesel Generator

Hello everyone!
I'm looking into purchasing a Forester MBS 2401B and noticed it comes with an LP generator but there is also a diesel option. Does anyone have any thoughts about the pros/cons of each?
umuc1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #2

We used to tailgate at all Texas A&M football games. One of our friends had a 5th wheel with a LP generator. Two big tanks would run dry before the end of a long weekend. Now your sitting in Texas heat surrounded by 100 other campers, impossible to hookup go find LP and return. He started carrying around a 3000 watt gas generator. Gas is readily available everywhere.

So if your rig has a diesel motor I would stay with diesel.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #3

The diesel would be the best choice IMO. If nothing else you will have 75% of a 26 gal fuel tank available for it. An LPG gen runs through the gas very quickly.
Our last MH had a diesel generator and an 80 gal tank. That was a much better way to go than the Lance truck camper we had before that which had an LPG genset and two 30 lb (7 gal each I think) tanks. I hardly ever used the LPG gen and had a hard time starting it on mornings below 30 deg.
It is expensive but I think you will be very glad while using it and at trade-in time.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #4

Similar, "had a friend"
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
We used to tailgate at all Texas A&M football games. One of our friends had a 5th wheel with a LP generator. Two big tanks would run dry before the end of a long weekend. Now your sitting in Texas heat surrounded by 100 other campers, impossible to hookup go find LP and return. He started carrying around a 3000 watt gas generator. Gas is readily available everywhere.

So if your rig has a diesel motor I would stay with diesel.

He hated that LP generator. We went for two week trip and he had to refill his propane, we didn't even use one bottle and about 5 gallons of gas in our gas generator. I'd chose the upgrade in a heartbeat
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Contrarian view - for me, I like the LP generator.

Not sure of the current choices, but when I bought the offered LP generator was 3600 watts; the diesel generator 3200. Several people reported issues running the air conditioner on the diesel; no such reports on the LP unit. I believe the diesel did work, but was more sensitive to what else was running.

The LP generator doesn’t have fuel remaining in it after use (during storage) - the propane just evaporates cleanly. Diesel in the carb?? For occasional use, LP is easier maintenance.

The diesel, as stated above, draws from the vehicle chassis tank - so significantly more fuel (and run time) available. I only occasionally use the generator, usually for less than an hour - believe at half power the generator uses about half a gallon of LP per hour - so not an issue for me. If I did ever want to use it for long periods, I would add an”extend-a-stay” and use an external tank. Never needed to yet.

The LP exhaust seems quite clean and low (no) odor. Don’t believe the diesel generator has any of the sophisticated exhaust controls of the vehicle engine - so likely not so clean.

Long run times -advantage diesel. Occasional use - advantage LP.

FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #6

LP vs Diesel

For what its worth, you should get a lot more running time out of a gallon of diesel vs a gallon of propanes (about 14000 BTUs vs 90,000).
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #7

Propane never goes bad. Spark plug will last forever. Oil also stays clean. I have the propane and would never have anything else.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #8

I agree with above, clean running and very little maintenance. Depends on how much you will use it. Also, I heard the Diesel gen is much heavier and we already have a problem with CCC, Just my 2 cents.
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:16 PM   #9

We also have propane and prefer it over diesel exhaust which frankly stinks. As noted, it's clean and never causes issues with maintenance and you don't have to worry about using too much of your vehicle fuel, good if you're boondocking way out there.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #10

LP VS Diesel

It really comes down to how often you use it and style of camping, and price difference. The diesel has more energy, but LP is cleaner and requires less maintenance. It takes a lot more LP to produce the same amount of energy. The diesel you need to fire up at least once a month and let it run for 10 minutes to keep everything working.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #11

I have the diesel 3200 generator and it has been great. 6 years old 330 hours on and it starts with the first push of the button every time. Maintenance is the same or less than the propane generator and it has a much longer service life. No problem running our Brisk ac and microwave at the same time but it will trip if we forget to put the hot water to propane. I did need to add an optional start capacitor on the Brisk unit but no problem since . Fuel use is very low, about .25 gal per hour so we never worry about using the generator or for how long. It is harder to find propane refueling than a diesel station when traveling remote. We have been very happy with our choice. It has allowed us to travel for 3-4 weeks on 1 tank of propane for refrigerator, hot water, cooking, barbecue while using then generator whenever needed and not worry about using too much fuel. We also have solar. If you only plan to use park electric and shorter trips then propane may be the choice for you. Just wanted to provide you with info from someone who owns that Genny and isn’t complaining. Good luck , hope that helps
Old 05-07-2021, 11:25 PM   #12

I’ve been very happy with my propane generator. I’ve used it a lot for the past seven years. It always starts right up and I’ve never had any issues with it. I also have solar on the roof and do frequent boondocking running the a/c for extended periods.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:45 PM   #13

Another vote for the propane generator for all the reasons stated in the posts above. Also, I Really don’t like the smell of diesel exhaust around the campsite that I have encountered when I have been around MHs with diesel generators. My 2 cents only.
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #14

Another vote for propane. It also depends on how frequently you use the genny. Mine is infrequent (I have solar and lithium batteries). I would have ruined the diesel genny long ago. Propane is clean. I try to exercise the genny at least once a month and get the oil changed once a year..
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrx View Post
I agree with above, clean running and very little maintenance. Depends on how much you will use it. Also, I heard the Diesel gen is much heavier and we already have a problem with CCC, Just my 2 cents.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #15

I would go diesel. No carb, no plugs. Long run time on tank. Not having to go buy propane while staying at state parks us hugh to me.
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #16

I dont like messing around with getting bottles filled so I put a 50 gallon fuel tank on the truck for the generator.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #17

I added a Soft Start on to my air conditioner. Instead of drawing 27 amps on startup it now only draws 13-14 amp on startup. The Soft Start lets the compressor ramp up slowly instead of instantly reducing the demand for current. I can run a 13K BTU with a 2 kw generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Contrarian view - for me, I like the LP generator.

Not sure of the current choices, but when I bought the offered LP generator was 3600 watts; the diesel generator 3200. Several people reported issues running the air conditioner on the diesel; no such reports on the LP unit. I believe the diesel did work, but was more sensitive to what else was running.

The LP generator doesn’t have fuel remaining in it after use (during storage) - the propane just evaporates cleanly. Diesel in the carb?? For occasional use, LP is easier maintenance.

The diesel, as stated above, draws from the vehicle chassis tank - so significantly more fuel (and run time) available. I only occasionally use the generator, usually for less than an hour - believe at half power the generator uses about half a gallon of LP per hour - so not an issue for me. If I did ever want to use it for long periods, I would add an”extend-a-stay” and use an external tank. Never needed to yet.

The LP exhaust seems quite clean and low (no) odor. Don’t believe the diesel generator has any of the sophisticated exhaust controls of the vehicle engine - so likely not so clean.

Long run times -advantage diesel. Occasional use - advantage LP.

FYI, Jim
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #18

Diesel generator, IMO is the way to go in Motorhome. You can’t exchange the propane tank on that Forster. Finding a fuel station to fill up with Diesel is a lot easier then find places that will refill your propane tank.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #19
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
?...You can’t exchange the propane tank on that Forster...
Actually, by adding an “extend-a-stay” or similar, can use an exchangeable (e.g, barbecue type) tank:
https://www.dyersonline.com/extend-a...opane-kit.html
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #20

We also love our propane generator. Although the article linked below says it uses “more” fuel (by liquid volume) than a diesel, ours just sips propane. We only use it twice a day for 45-60 minutes and it doesn’t use much fuel at all. I had not known before that the diesel is 30# heavier which may be why they use the LP model on the MBS UN s which are tight in cargo capacity.

https://www.lichtsinn.com/blog/shoul...-lp-generator/

Tags
diesel, generator