Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2022, 11:55 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 76
Maiden voyage!

OK guys after a few months of preparation finally was ready to head out for our 1st real camping trip In our 2016 forest river MBS.

Note
I talk into my phone so ignore any grammar errors or typos I don't feel like correcting them right now as I'm at the camp here is what I learned on our journey up here.

I parked it the day before in the driveway and it has a slight incline I have light incline I hooked it up to 110 as that all's all I have and my garage I learned that the refrigerator will not work at this angle fortunately I went out there about 11 PM and turn it off

So the next day we headed out it's still triple digits in Arizona about 20 miles in a warning light came on I did not know what it was so I pulled over as I as I came on a turnout in the deserturned out it was oil indicator light and I was slightly overfilled on the dipstick the 2 plastic pieces Oil was slightly over the full one.

The manual says it could burn out my catalytic converter but it was such a small extra smaller extra amount I put in I called my mechanic buddy and he said not to worry that it won't harm the catalyte converter but I could drain it up here at the campground

He says the computer monitors are very sensitive on theseSprinter engines.

I also learned I did not have the refrigerator buttons press correctly cause it was not working finally got that figured out.

So other than the warning light coming on periodically periodically during the drive it was a good ride up here anyway now on to my next discovery

I did not drain the fresh water tank that had been in there since the end of July When I initially purchased the RV and went for a 2 day trip.

So that water sat in the tank in triple digit 112 plus weather for that amount of time.

So before this trip I topped it off at my house from the garden hose from the garden hose when we arrived at camp and went to do our dishes for the 1st time it smelled like sewer water.

So I guess I screwed up big time! Someone Suggest a drain in this water out putting some more water in about half tank I'll have tank with some bleach and drive it around then I've been around then drain it I probably would have to repeat this correct

Or do you guys have any other suggestions thanks

Fortunately I brought 3 gallons of of tap water that we can use plus 4 gallons of drinking water to get us by but but definitely need to drain this out

We are here for 5 nights and Definitely glad we purchased this RV just need to get familiar with it as I'm a total rookie.
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:54 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 21,536
Glad to hear of no serious issues. I usually drain the water on my hot water tank after every trip if I know it will be a couple weeks before I go out again. This prevents th buld up of smelly water. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,853
You really need to sanitize the fresh tank. I do mine before each trip if it has setting for a couple months.
Drain the tank, then add 1/2 cup of bleach through the fill port and then fill the tank all the way. Turn on each of your taps and water pump to allow the bleach water to fill the filter and lines. In your case, let it sit in your tank for a minimum of 3 hours. Drain and do the same a second time, but let it sit over night. Drain and flush with fresh wafer including the taps.
You should also drain the hot water tank. Takes a 1 1/16th socket. While you have the drain plug and anode removed you can see if the anode needs to be replaced.

Use your hose to flush the tank through the drain opening. They make a wand for this purpose .

If you are not at a place with city water, you have to wait until you get home for all this.

Others may have better/ more recommends. I use my water from the fresh water tank, so I keep it sanitize.
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:34 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
You really need to sanitize the fresh tank. I do mine before each trip if it has setting for a couple months.
Drain the tank, then add 1/2 cup of bleach through the fill port and then fill the tank all the way. Turn on each of your taps and water pump to allow the bleach water to fill the filter and lines. In your case, let it sit in your tank for a minimum of 3 hours. Drain and do the same a second time, but let it sit over night. Drain and flush with fresh wafer including the taps.
You should also drain the hot water tank. Takes a 1 1/16th socket. While you have the drain plug and anode removed you can see if the anode needs to be replaced.

Use your hose to flush the tank through the drain opening. They make a wand for this purpose .

If you are not at a place with city water, you have to wait until you get home for all this.

Others may have better/ more recommends. I use my water from the fresh water tank, so I keep it sanitize.
Thanks guys

The campground has water hook ups But I've heard that water is not safe to drink but hopefully I'll always be able to flush it a few times

I plan to get a new water filter soon.
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 76
I can't find a drain for the fresh water tank.
Looked in the obvious area where the black and Gray drains are and all I see is fill ports to flush the black and city water winterize FILL PORTS
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:24 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 76
OK I have a problem I cannot locate the fresh water drain valve.

I have bad water in my system and we are camping and I need to drain it as soon as possible!!

Been crawling around on my back been looking for over an hour.

I did find this but it has spray foam all around it with no pet cock.

Ended up using the spray nozzle feature in the back but had to run the water pump the whole time not sure if I could overheat the water pump but I know this is not the right way to do it but was able to drain a tank.

thanks.
2016 Sunseeker MBS










azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:05 PM   #7
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,719
On our 2022 the fresh water drain is accessed through a latched cover on the back wall of the (very large) passenger side rear outside storage compartment. The cover on ours is black. The valve is a quarter turn valve visible and accessible looking down in that opening after removing the latched cover.
Drains through the spare tire.
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:52 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmotoman View Post
OK I have a problem I cannot locate the fresh water drain valve.



I have bad water in my system and we are camping and I need to drain it as soon as possible!!



Been crawling around on my back been looking for over an hour.



I did find this but it has spray foam all around it with no pet cock.



Ended up using the spray nozzle feature in the back but had to run the water pump the whole time not sure if I could overheat the water pump but I know this is not the right way to do it but was able to drain a tank.



thanks.

2016 Sunseeker MBS





















The blue tube you pictured next to the tire is the drain. The valve should be located in a compartment above the tube.
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:25 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 76


Turns out it's between the step and storage
Underneath two hoses red and blue.
Spent most of my day dealing with this what a pain in the ass..

So I drained out the water that was in there put in some water from the campsite put in some bleach 2 cups and drove around not very much though and drained that.

So I'm back at camp and used the the city tap water to fill it backup and also put in 2 more cups of bleach.

It still has a foul smell coming out of the kitchen faucet I thought it might be the drain put some bleach down there but still has a smell.

Going to drain that fill it backup and put maybe a 1/2 cup of bleach in there hopefully it will be better if not not sure what else to do.
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,853
Those two drains near the step are the low point drains for the tubing. They are not the fresh water tank drain.
As was mentioned before, the valve for the tank is in the blue line that is located near the spare tire. Should be in the same compartment as the fresh water pump .
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:43 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Those two drains near the step are the low point drains for the tubing. They are not the fresh water tank drain.
As was mentioned before, the valve for the tank is in the blue line that is located near the spare tire. Should be in the same compartment as the fresh water pump .


WoW!!!!
Did you look at the picture above, the tube is covered with Spray Foam, I felt around but could feel nothing but Foam.

Guess I need to check again.

Btw I've drained twice by the step Much more convenient by the way and it drained empty also update on the smell it seems to be gone.

Thanks
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:57 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,853
The valve is above that area where the foam is. The blue tube goes through the floor in the tank compartment. The foam seals the opening where the tube passes. The valve is above the floor over the spare tire. Like I mentioned, it should be where the pump is located.
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:22 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 76
OK thanks but that leads me to another question I never was able to see or touch the water pump is that in some secret location and you have to crawl on your back to open the valve from the tank seems like a real pain in the ass. Especially in Arizona when it can be triple temps and I want to drain the tank.

Been in the aviation field for most of my life and I do not have a schematic of the water system but if the valves by the step are the low point in the water system then wouldn' it make the most sense to drain it at the lowest point?


I believe that is why those are are so easy to access you just get on one knee and open them up versus crawling around on your back trying to find the valve.

I have noticed though That since I've been opening the tube drain it does have a slight leak to it now And when I put the city water hook up there was pressure in the system and it leaked a lot more.

So I unhooked it and just using water from the tank and at least it no longer STINKS, so that is good.
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 76
Doing Some research and people are saying when I get back home to also drain the hot water tank where is that drain located man there's a lot to learn on these RVs!
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 76
Ok I think I just answered my own question there are 2 rubber tubes by the steps.
One is blue the other red, so that must be for Hot water.
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #16
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,719
As I understand, low point drains (hot and cold) are at the low point of the Plumbing (the pipes), NOT the low point of the tanks. Opening the faucets and opening the low point drains empties the pipes. The tanks (fresh and hot water) need to be drained by their respective tank drains.
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:37 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,853
To drain the hot water tank, remove the cover from the side of the RV where the tank is located. With a 1 1/16fh socket remove the plug/anode from the lower face of the tank.

It is important that you check the anode for lost metal. The anode is what keeps your hot water tank from rusting away.

Replace the anode if you have 75 % of the sacrificial metal gone.

When you reinstall the anode, put know more than 1 1/4 wraps of Teflon tape on the threads.

The fresh water pump will be inside one of the compartments near the tank. Turn on the pump and listen as you walk around the Rv. You should hear the pump running.
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:44 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,853
I see from one of your photos, you have the winterizing value. The pump and drain should be near.
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:38 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmotoman View Post
Doing Some research and people are saying when I get back home to also drain the hot water tank where is that drain located man there's a lot to learn on these RVs!
Here is a photo of the water heater drain and anode for a Suburban water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	280009  
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:40 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
To drain the hot water tank, remove the cover from the side of the RV where the tank is located. With a 1 1/16fh socket remove the plug/anode from the lower face of the tank.

It is important that you check the anode for lost metal. The anode is what keeps your hot water tank from rusting away.

Replace the anode if you have 75 % of the sacrificial metal gone.

When you reinstall the anode, put know more than 1 1/4 wraps of Teflon tape on the threads.

The fresh water pump will be inside one of the compartments near the tank. Turn on the pump and listen as you walk around the Rv. You should hear the pump running.
I drained my water heater today. The photo is of the anode. It's been installed approximately 8 months and still has about 80% remaining. This is a magnesium anode. They also make aluminum anodes. The aluminum last much longer, but I'm not so sure they provide the protection. Just me.Click image for larger version

Name:	20221003_140008.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	280032
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.