Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #21

Interesting - there are 13 locations around where I live selling Mobil 1. None of them stock the ESP 0W-30W oil. Bummer!
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #22

I got mine at Napa and they were short a few quarts. They brought some in from another store and I had it the next day.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Interesting - there are 13 locations around where I live selling Mobil 1. None of them stock the ESP 0W-30W oil. Bummer!
I've run into the same problem in San Diego, two years ago I did get it on sale at NAPA for 5.99 per quart but haven't found it in quite a while. I only need it once a year so I just find it online. I am going to change the Fuel Filter every two years I have decided. I will post what the Trans Fluid looks like after I get it changed on Thursday at 25K miles.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #24

Quote:

Will they order it for you?

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #25

I run the 0W30, but the Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 does meet the MB approved 229.52 spec.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #26

Quote:
In my area NAPA does not stock Mobil 1 ESP, but will order it for next day pickup. I call my local NAPA and order, they call me when it arrives. Usually $5.79 to $5.99 gt. during their sales. I don't mind waiting a couple days if necessary. I wait for the sales and keep enough on hand for my next change. Mann HU821x filters I order from Advance Auto. NAPA has a substitute made by WIX, but I prefer the Mann.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Usually NAPA will order the oil for next day pick up.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
In my area NAPA does not stock Mobil 1 ESP, but will order it for next day pickup. I call my local NAPA and order, they call me when it arrives. Usually $5.79 to $5.99 gt. during their sales. I don't mind waiting a couple days if necessary. I wait for the sales and keep enough on hand for my next change. Mann HU821x filters I order from Advance Auto. NAPA has a substitute made by WIX, but I prefer the Mann.
X2 on the Mann HU821X filters.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 04-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #29

I'm pretty sure NAPA can get you the Mann filter. My NAPA has them in stock.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
I'm pretty sure NAPA can get you the Mann filter. My NAPA has them in stock.

Mine too in Montana

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Let us know how the transmission fluid looks at your mileage. I am near 30,000 and considering changing the transmission fluid.
As promised, got the Airbag Recall done today and did the Brake Fluid Renewal ($201) and the Transmission Service ($529). Got a 10% Veterans Discount so the total came to $673. I provided them with an 8 oz bottle and they filled it with the drained fluid for me no problem.

After 25K miles it definitely wasn't red anymore but it smelled pretty fresh and didn't look too bad. I think I will probably stick to a 30K mile schedule on the Transmission because of the size and weight of these RV's as well as what I have observed of the Trans Temperature getting as high as 232 degrees at times when towing on hills. I think the Sprinters get an AT-Hot Light and go into Limp Mode with it somewhere in the upper 230's but could be wrong.

They questioned me about my Fuel Filter and I told them I changed it in July 2018 when I changed my Oil and Filter. They seemed indignant because I think the Fuel Filter Change is one of their Cash Cows : ) I also told them I changed the Turbine Seal, Fuel Filter Purge Hose and clamps with it and it wasn't that hard plus only cost $140 for parts where they charged $376. They didn't comment other than to say it must be changed every year regardless of mileage (Jury is still out on that one).

I feel better about the Transmission now : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans Fluid at 25K.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	200768  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 04-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Will they order it for you?
Actually AudiDudi, I am not going to worry about it as I have enough or another oil change sitting on the shelf right now. Just interesting that no one carries the 0W - 30W ESPin my area. End up ordering it online.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:41 AM   #33

OW or 5W is fine for your MB , the oil numbers change to finesse the air police and mileage reported.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #34

Angry Cash Cow for the M-B dealershiop here in Central NJ

2016 MBS Sunseeker 2401WS

It was $800 for the oil change and oil filter and with a two year old fuel filter being changed out. Air filters were untouched at 12K miles. I did this visit at the end of the last season. I was told that the fuel filter change out was "difficult" and hence costly! Great (price/cash flow) engineering, no?

I saw a YouTube on the diesel fuel filter change for a Sprinter where the guy did it essentially one handed (holding the camera) in about 25 minutes all the while yakking away. Next oil change will be by me when miles indicate so, and ditto next the fuel filter in early 2021. YouTube has maintenance indicator reset procedure on another Sprinter video. I was warned next scheduled maintenance on the engine was going to be $1600! So... no thanks!

I am going to the dealer early next week to get the airbag recall taken care of to start the season on the best possible foot. And after that, being mechanically inclined, I'll deal with most maintenance by myself. Cabin and engine air filters through Amazon (using M-B parts), oil and filters, then we'll see about the tranny at 30,000. I have a decent local garage as an option for that and I may buy/bring the appropriate transmission fluid to that party. The mechanic allows me to observe while doing the work. Last visit for SumoSpring bumper/anti-sway blocks was what convinced me to use that shop whenever practicable.

Last dealer visit in the fall also replaced an exhaust sensor under emissions warranty and flaky ABS sensor (emissions warranty item!) that caused me to abort a long vacation while at Custer State Park in Wyoming. So much for reliability!

So... Service in South Dakota? Other end of the state in Sioux Falls, but then it was Sunday by then! Rapid City, SD. Freightliner shop didn't want to handle this, especially as warranty work would not be covered by Mercedes. Fortunately, the emissions and stability lockouts cleared next day (and about 300 miles later) while driving on I-90. That also allowed me to use cruise control again. Love the built in crippling features! <not!>

Nice in some important ways (fuel economy, despite small tank, and very adequate power/torque for 10,000 ft high mountain passes in Montana, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons), but not overly impressed with M-B chassis for other reasons (reliability, costs). So much so, in fact, that we dumped a beautiful leased 2017 C300L sedan after just one year. Car was excellent, but the specter of a looming oil change <grin> , and other future maintenance said we needed to move on. Luxury dealership pricing, BAH!

For a work van chassis? Even worse!

BUT... being a kinda love/hate thing, I'm still glad we opted for the MBS. Kinda...

YMMV
BluStreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #35

Service

I had my first fuel filter changed by the dealer. I changed the second which was very easy. I will be changing the third fuel filter shortly. I buy the exact filter online that MB uses for less than 1/2 the price. I also replace the compensator ring each filter change. Replacing the ring following the correct procedure is most important.

I had purchased the MB maintenance procedures on DVD shortly after acquiring my 2013 Sprinter RV, which has come in handy on multiple occasions.
This gives me the information needed to perform my on maintenance and servicing.

I also do my own oil changes. Simplest oil and filter change I have ever performed. No way will I pay MB what they want for that service.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I had my first fuel filter changed by the dealer. I changed the second which was very easy. I will be changing the third fuel filter shortly. I buy the exact filter online that MB uses for less than 1/2 the price. I also replace the compensator ring each filter change. Replacing the ring following the correct procedure is most important.

I had purchased the MB maintenance procedures on DVD shortly after acquiring my 2013 Sprinter RV, which has come in handy on multiple occasions.
This gives me the information needed to perform my on maintenance and servicing.

I also do my own oil changes. Simplest oil and filter change I have ever performed. No way will I pay MB what they want for that service.
Is the compensator ring the turbine seal? I also changed the fuel filter purge hose because thats what the dealer did when I had them do it. They called it a collector and it was the hardest part because it runs under the valve covers plastic cover. Did you reinstall the same type hose clamps? I bought the tool to take them off but just used screw hose clamps to reinstall. Wasn't too hard except for the purge hose.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 04-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStreek View Post
2016 MBS Sunseeker 2401WS

For a work van chassis? Even worse!

BUT... being a kinda love/hate thing, I'm still glad we opted for the MBS. Kinda...

YMMV
I agree 100%, I'm a pretty good mechanic also so I will do most things myself unless its like the Tranny without a way to lift vehicle. I would rather pay than spend that much time trying to work under there with a messy job. Your right, the oil change is probably the easiest vehicle I have. Check on my earlier post for the rebate info on Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. I bought 24 quarts at $5.00 each after rebate.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 04-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Is the compensator ring the turbine seal? I also changed the fuel filter purge hose because thats what the dealer did when I had them do it. They called it a collector and it was the hardest part because it runs under the valve covers plastic cover. Did you reinstall the same type hose clamps? I bought the tool to take them off but just used screw hose clamps to reinstall. Wasn't too hard except for the purge hose.
Yes, the compensater ring is the turbine seal. I also have and use the clamp tool. I replaced the clamps with the original type. The maintenance manual does not say to replace the filter drain hose "collector" when replacing the filter. I don't know why you would need to. It's purpose is too drain water from the filter if necessary. Overall simple and problem free if you install the compensater ring in the turbine inlet tube before reattaching to the tubine.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
I agree 100%, I'm a pretty good mechanic also so I will do most things myself unless its like the Tranny without a way to lift vehicle. I would rather pay than spend that much time trying to work under there with a messy job. Your right, the oil change is probably the easiest vehicle I have. Check on my earlier post for the rebate info on Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. I bought 24 quarts at $5.00 each after rebate.
That is a good price on the oil. I normally pay $5.99 qt which is not bad.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Same here - do my own changes and run the 0w30. MBS 229.52 spec. I'm not sure the 5w30 meets that spec.

Yes, it does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	200950

Tags
service