Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #21

I’ve had my 2014 MBZ Solera now for 6 yrs. and 35,000 miles. I live in the Eastern Sierra Mtns., lived at 7,100 ft elev. until recently. It has driven great thru the Rockies and other mtns. Just make sure to downshift accordingly. I chose the diesel because of my frequent mtn. driving and like the significant gas savings. Also, I trusted Mercedes quality, having owned four previous ones; driving them for twenty yrs. Then and now, I have found them to be reliable and rarely break down. I saw that our other vehicles required more maintenance. As another solo female traveler here, reliability and it’s good handling is important to me.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #22
Senior

CONTINURD. Although they replaced the fuel filter. $325 chaching!!!

The next year we visited Texas. In Big Bend SP I put my motor home in 1st gear when I pulled out of a scenic overlook and down a 15% grade. To my surprise when the revs got in the red zone on the tach the trans did not shift to 2nd. Instead it went into neutral and would not go into gear. Luckily there was a picnic area we could coast into but no cell service. I unhitched the CR-V, drove to town and called MB for a tow. By the time they arrived it fixed itself. I didn't know that would happen.

On our way from Fort Worth back home to Colorado a check engine light came on and our motor home would only go 40 MPH. Thinking it might be bad gas I filled up in the next town. Now we could only do 25!!! I pulled into a rest area and called MB for another tow. Days later the problem was diagnosed as the EGR valve and a sensor, parts were ordered and installed and we were on our way courtesy of Mercedes. Thank you Mercedes, your electric hookup in the parking lot was great. We never would have gone to Midland, TX otherwise.

I have had our CR-V nearly 6 years and 85,000 miles plus 32,000 towed but i have never had the check engine light go on except when I start the engine. In that time I have gone back to a dealer 4 times. Twice for an oil change when new. Once to fix the radio and once to change the transmission fluid that the oil change place could not do. With the Mercedes I have been reluctant to not go to the dealer because although their labor rates are high I believe there will not be any finger pointing if I use the wrong oil or something like that.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester 2401WS
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr911 View Post
Dodge trucks are now called Ram and they are not part of Mercedes any more, but a part of Fiat. Freightliner and some Mercedes dealers are where you need to go for service. Not all Mercedes dealers are equipped to work on motorhomes so call ahead.
Guarantee you, you pull into a Dodge dealer with a MBS for service, and they will laugh you off the lot. ONLY an AUTHORIZED MB dealer, or approved service center can provide work on a Sprinter. I owned a 2400R model for a couple of years and my biggest frustration was finding a service provider. From home, Id have to drive over the mountains to Eugene, Or, or that area for an approved MB service dealer. If you are traveling, and not in a larger metropolis area and something happens - you're pretty much toast. You'd best have a real good Roadside Assistance plan that will cover towing miles as you may be 500 miles from a dealer if you get out in the MT, WY, ID, Co, NM. Nv areas. Due to high maintenance cost and some other factors, we traded the Sprinter in on a class A rig.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mercedes