Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Senior

Mice! EEEK!!!

This year we have had an invasion of mice. Since we live up high in the Colorado Rockies it is not uncommon to have this problem but this year nothing seems to solve the problem. The worst thing about it is they have found a way to the openings in the ceiling for the lights and vents.

I first noticed signs of them in the fall after putting our motorhome in storage for the winter 100 miles away. I spread all the mothballs that were unused through my coach but come late spring (thanks covid 19) I saw signs they were still in residence.

I bought sticky traps and old fashioned spring traps. They escaped from the sticky stuff but not the traps. After trapping about a dozen we decided we had not solved the problem and got poison. This killed a couple more but we discovered one by smell. UGGH!!! A neighbor recommended a electronic device but it appears they can't hear it in the ceiling.

What to do? Sell the RV? Get a cat? All advice appreciated.

Bob Fraser
MBS 2401WS
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #2

The first thing to do is get every food source out of the rig even stuff in sealed boxes. Then go around and seal all holes 1/4" or larger with foam or tape. the pic shows what I did to get the ones in the AC vents I pulled the defusers and made little platforms out of cardboard that they would step on to get the bait. That is a snap trap on the platform. good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	239174  
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Site Team

A few suggestions:
Please do not use poison. When the mice leave to find water, they can be eaten by hawks, owls, and eagles and they are then poisoned.

Try 2-3 old coffee mugs or juice glasses with 2-3 cotton balls in each. Put 4-5 drops of essential oil of peppermint on the cotton. Refresh every 4-5 weeks and keep the oil in the fridge when not using. Be sure to get essential oil of peppermint and not peppermint oil. I have used it for 14yrs and despite mice in the garage 6" from the TT no mice in the TT.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
A few suggestions:
Please do not use poison. When the mice leave to find water, they can be eaten by hawks, owls, and eagles and they are then poisoned.

Try 2-3 old coffee mugs or juice glasses with 2-3 cotton balls in each. Put 4-5 drops of essential oil of peppermint on the cotton. Refresh every 4-5 weeks and keep the oil in the fridge when not using. Be sure to get essential oil of peppermint and not peppermint oil. I have used it for 14yrs and despite mice in the garage 6" from the TT no mice in the TT.
Thanks for your suggestion. I have used essential peppermint oil in the past but forgot about it. I just ordered some from Amazon. We're living in the RV while our condo is renovated. It has worked in the past and smells much better than rotting mice.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
A few suggestions:

This👆🏻 Watch Shawn Woods the MouseTrapper YouTubes. All the mothballs and Irish spring does not work. This peppermint oil does work for us and good old fashioned mouse traps.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
We're living in the RV while our condo is renovated. It has worked in the past and smells much better than rotting mice.
Anything is better than the smell of rotting mice. Those poisons that are supposed to 'dehydrate' them or make them take the bait and die elsewhere don't work. Well, they work, but you can end up with dead and rotting mice in your rig. If you can use peanut butter in those spring traps and put them at an exit point, that's supposed to work best. Then use steel wool to block their reentry.
If you can borrow a cat, that couldn't hurt. Mice will smell a cat and move to a cat free home.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:17 AM   #7

Never used poisons, dont need them dying where i cant get them. I use multiple spring traps.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote