Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #1

Need some 120V help please

We have a 2016 Sunseeker 2400R. The 120 volt plug in system just stoped working. It was working this morning but not now. My Progressive EMS showed a low voltage error which I can’t seem to clear. I bypassed it and still seems like a low voltage issue. I used my multimeter and power from the pedestal shows 119-120. The power cord where it plugs into coach reads the same. If I turn off some breakers then the microwave comes to life. Nothing else.
Everything works fine if I disconnect 120 from the pedestal and run the generator. Weird. What could it be?
I’ve plenty of time to trouble shoot as we, in the Napa Valley, are in Shelter in Place. My rig is stored and always plugged in in the back yard so I can work on it.

Thanks. Stay Safe.
Dave
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:34 PM   #2

Low battery? What type of Refrigerator do you have? If Residential, does it come on only when Microwave does, or not at all, or what?

Lots of Resident Electrical guys here. Someone can help you...........I have a long time license that allows me to work electric radios and occasionally lights.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #3

Propane and electric refrigerator. Batteries are full up, replaced last year. It seems odd to me that feels like low voltage plugged in but fine with generator. Maybe the progressive power center? Transfer switch must be ok since everything is fine on generator. I’m not sure where the power runs from the side of the coach to the power distribution center that also charges the batteries.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:29 PM   #4

Start at the shore power. Measure all connections. Don't think, don't look, dont assume. TEST every connection. If plugged into a GFI circuit at the house move the cord to a non-GFI outlet. I am assuming 30 amps 120 volts here on a dog bone. Check the dog bone. Work your way all the way back to the 30 amp main breaker in the RV.. Check every connection on the way in order. Shore power to main breaker in that order. Female end of shore power cord. Back side of cord plug in. EMS if hard wired check all connections. If portable remove it from the circuit. Transfer switch. remove the cover. check all connections. Tighten all connections. tighten all screws in the breaker panel box. Check voltage at all breakers.

'Everything works fine if I disconnect 120 from the pedestal and run the generator.' Weird. What could it be?

If this is true it kinda tells me the problem is from the transfer switch back to the shore power plug don't you think? Pull the shore power plug and check the connections. Check the connections for that circuit at the house breaker box.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:36 PM   #5

When doing what cavie said wiggle the pins on the connectors as well when not plugged in and look for burn marks. There is a short somewhere.

My money is on the transfer switch or the hardwire screw terminals.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:58 AM   #6

I agree with the dbledan and cavie. If your system is working correctly on generator then your problem is probably between the shore power plug and the transfer switch. Unscrew the shore power plug from the rv pull out and check the 120v wire connections to the plug. They can loosen. A bad wire between plug and switch is pretty unlikely. If all is well then go to the transfer switch, it’s under the closet in my 2400R build. Check connections and inspect transfer contactors. My bet is the shore side are burnt and you need a new transfer switch. If that system is ok then my last thought is a house grounding problem triggering a ground fault to track down. Good luck , let us know what you find.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #7

the automatic transfer switch(ATS) handle both incoming Generator 120v lines, AND incoming Shore power 120v lines - while the generator output might be getting to your Main Panel for power, the Shore Power side is not, or is not 'fully', meaning that you probably have a loose wire at the ATS on the Shore Power incoming side.

Remove all power, then remove the ATS cover, check all tightness of wires at ALL connection points on both sides.
Also, check your SHORE CORD connection points - as prongs and their connectors can become loose, as well.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

i'll try to make it even easier. you say your ems in reporting low power. they measure this on the input side of the ems. so look at all connections between shore power and the input to the ems.

of course there is always the possibility that the ems itself has a problem. as mentioned, if it is the portable type just remove it. if it is hardwired check voltage at its input terminals.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #9

I agree the ATS could be the culprit. I had an issue a while back where the shore power would not come on line. However, when starting the generator all was okay. But, when I shut down the generator the shore power would immediately come on line and all was normal.

When I opened the ATS I discovered it had a lot of sawdust in it. I don’t have a clue how it got there but considering the work ethic of the factory I’m not surprised. Cleaned all the contacts and it has worked flawlessly ever since.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #10

Do be aware that if you have a loose connection the voltage can read out as full voltage until a load is placed on it and then it can drop drastically. You might need to apply a load when checking.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #11

Troubleshooting should begin at the ems and work toward the shore power source. Anything "downstream" from the ems is likely to be working fine. I suspect a poor connection in your pedestal, or the source to the pedestal. A poor connection will enable your multi-meter to read full voltage but the poor connection will not allow enough amperage to flow for things to operate. That is why the light panel come on your microwave when you turn all other breakers off. The poor connection is allowing only a trace amount of current to pass. As soon as it has a load, the voltage drops.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #12

Thanks for all the help. Everyone here is so helpful. I’ll be checking all this today. Everyone stay well. I’ll report back today.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #13

Ok, with your help I think I have diagnosed my problem. The 30 amp plug is on the side of a storeroom we have which is about 80 feet from our house. I found two things. I brought my portable ems into the house and attached it with a 30amp to 120 plug pig tail I have. EMS works fine. Then I went to the storeroom and even though I checked for proper voltage which was ok, there is a fluorescent light on the same circuit. That light won’t come on fully but just blinks. Bingo. Not enough amps going to the storeroom. Now I have to figure out why, since it has worked properly for the last few years. At least I’m pretty sure there is nothing wrong with Harvey the RV (that’s what we call our rig).

Thanks again for all your help on this valuable forum.

Stay safe and well.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #14

there is no such thing as 'not enough amps going to the store room', as AMPS don't 'go' anywhere, they are just a measure of the HEAT that is flowing through the wires when a device or appliance is being powered. The more power needed, the more amps, but the VOLTAGE is the same, 120volts, or a slight variable of that depending on your utility.

The florescent light, though, just may have something to do with it. You may be seeing a 'loose' wire to the light, which may be just what we have been discussing a potential problem with the power to your RV. It could be just that the light bulb is old and on it's last leg, but it's also probably symptomatic of your 'power' issue to the RV.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #15

twice you have said you have measured the voltage at the pedestal (storeroom) and it is ok (119-120 volts). yet when you plug the ems in it is showing low voltage. if you plug your rv into the pedestal without the ems what does voltage measure at a receptacle inside the rv? what does the ems display the voltage at when you plugged it into the other receptacle. did you plug the portable ems directly into the 30 amp pedestal receptacle? i find it very odd that you say the pedestal reports 119-120 volts yet when you plug the ems directly into it the ems shows low voltage. perhaps loose connection within the pedestal?
Old 04-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #16

Dbrote Need some 120V help please

When you use a multimeter with out a load on it you will get a full voltage reading. always start your testing when you have low voltage with a load. But I would bet it is your cord. You have what we in the electrical trade call a lose or high resistant connection. It will let you read normal voltages with a low current (lit load), but with a heavy load you will read a low voltage. Look at you plug, are the prongs dark in color or are they nice and clean? When they are dark that means you have a bad connection in the plug. If the plug is good then other end to see if any signs of darkness.
I have been a electrical troubleshooter for the last 63 years for big company's on all types of machines.

You can PM me here if you have questions.
[email address removed by site team since this post can be seen by any computer user around the world - member here or not.]

Hope this will help.
Ken
Light keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:27 PM   #17

mr light keeper raises an interesting point about getting low voltages with a load. you have a portable ems. how about plugging just it into the pedestal with nothing connected to the output side. what does the ems status show then. if it shows the voltage is ok then connect the rv to the output side and see if the ems then shows low voltage.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #18

So here’s the latest. I had a PG&E guy come out and he measured the voltage input from the power pole. All ok there. Then he informed me that there is probably a problem with the neutral side of the wires from the main house panel to the store room 80 feet away as the power drop is only when a load is applied. Makes sense to me. Without a load my multimeter reports 120 volts. Plug anything into the receptacle and volts drop to about 95 volts. Only problem is the power is buried under the lawn. There is a junction box under the lawn but I can’t easily find it as we planted a new raised lawn over it. Oh my!
Thanks for all your efforts to help me. After all, what else does anyone have anything else to do right now! My DW does not want me to start digging up the lawn in the wild hopes of finding the junction box. For now I just fired up the generator and charged the batteries.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:23 AM   #19
Just as confused as you

" there is a fluorescent light on the same circuit. That light won’t come on fully but just blinks."

The fluorescent lights ballast is going bad. Replace the fixture with a LED shop light or tubular LED fixture.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:15 AM   #20

do you have a friend with a metal detector? there are devices made to tracking underground wiring. basically you out a tone generator on one end of the cable and then use a receiver to follow the tone as you walk the area. if you could find the cable and mark its path on the grass you might then be able to find the junction box using a series of probes down into the ground along the path. i'm thinking that putting a junction box in the ground is not a great idea!