Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
New Forester MBS Owner

After a lot of procrastinating, we finally order a new Forester MBS 20401S and should be able to pick it up late March or early April. I'd like to thank everyone for all the great posts. This forum has been very helpful in making our final decision. We knew we wanted an RV built on the MBS platform but had trouble deciding which of the three models to choose from. I really liked the "W" floor plan but didn't like the reduced storage space inside and out and also didn't like the extra weight of the unit. In the end, we felt the corner bed would be a better choice for us. Time will tell.

One of the first upgrades we're plan on is installing some type of solar panels. I'm still trying to choose between roof mounted panels or portable panels. I wish Forest River offered solar as an option.

I do have one question? Do all the new Forester MBS come with a Zamp sidewall solar plug? If so, I may start with portable panels then at some point move to more permanent roof mounted panels.
Keithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #2

May want to start puting your money and time into roof mounted panels. Renogy has resonable panels. Portable panels are known to grow legs and walk away. Consider running 6 ga wire from the roof down the fridge vent. This will give you plenty of capacity for adding panels. I am now at 400 watts, 6 ga is best to minimize dc current loss. A good reference is Jack Mayers website. Read it several times to help with your design considerations. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #3

We too are new owners of MBS2400W and love the inside space. So far problems are few and very minor.
Several things just not covered in documentation including just what is the coax connector to the left of the coach door.
Anybody know the answer.
Thanks, Michael
gbmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmick View Post
Several things just not covered in documentation including just what is the coax connector to the left of the coach door.
Anybody know the answer.
I believe that is not a coax connector but the Zamp connector for hooking up a solar power system. Open the door to the propane tank and you should see the wiring, with an inline 10Amp fuse, running to it...
Old 02-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

Thanks but the solar connector is much lower and labeled. The connector that I am thinking of is coax and is one of a row of four connectors/outlets. There are two regular 110v outlets, a 12v outlet and the mysterious coax (I have tried connecting a regular coax terminated cable and it mates)
Old 02-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmick View Post
Thanks but the solar connector is much lower and labeled. The connector that I am thinking of is coax and is one of a row of four connectors/outlets.
Now you have me wondering... The cable TV outlet is the drivers side in the rear corner. I'll take a look at ours tomorrow...
Old 02-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #7

I also have a 2016 2401WS. I have not tried that connection but believe it is the TV antenna..
Old 02-21-2016, 11:40 PM   #8

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! Everything is fine here but for future reference this particular forum (MBS Sprinter) is for matters specifically unique to the MBS chassis - the engine, frame, axels, wheels, transmission and such. For more general issues you can post in the Forester forum, and for more technical matters you can post in the Electrical, Appliances, Propane, etc. tech forums. Any way you do it, you will find the greatest help here!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Now you have me wondering... The cable TV outlet is the drivers side in the rear corner. I'll take a look at ours tomorrow...
The connector on the drivers side is the camp cable input. The one on the passenger side should be for output to an outside TV.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #10
Class C Representative

That Coax is there if you want to run a portable satellite or cant get a cable connection to the other side of the coach.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
That Coax is there if you want to run a portable satellite or cant get a cable connection to the other side of the coach.
I thought there was a satellite connection was on the roof?

Warning! Thread Hijack! Josh, please see Here on a un-related question...regarding motor homes.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I thought there was a satellite connection was on the roof?

Warning! Thread Hijack! Josh, please see Here on a un-related question...regarding motor homes.

Thanks everybody. I would like to use for portable satellite dish, where is the inside connection for that exterior port? There is no double or triple coax set inside that I see.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #13
Site Team

I've attached the coax wiring diagram I have and I don't see a second cable listed for the passenger side. Josh, is the diagram out of date?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV and Satellite Connections-2.pdf (206.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #14
Class C Representative

I messed up, that particular one by the door is for a TV, the other side is for cable and satellite.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
I messed up, that particular one by the door is for a TV, the other side is for cable and satellite.
See post #9
Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #16

Joshua, thanks that makes sense, both power and signal for an outside tv. Although not for me it's a great feature.
The next problem is that there is only one input at the rear, drivers side for both satellite and cable. On the circuit schematics that I have seen reference is made to a jumper which allows you to switch between satellite and cable/antenna - that requires a double coax connector which I don't have. Is this an easy fix?
Old 02-24-2016, 12:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithe View Post
I do have one question? Do all the new Forester MBS come with a Zamp sidewall solar plug? If so, I may start with portable panels then at some point move to more permanent roof mounted panels.
Congratulations! I am very pleased with mine and even purchased it having not ever seen the inside; nevertheless I'm very happy I chose the floorplan that I did.

Mine did arrive with the Zamp connector on the sidewall however I chose to go with a roof installation myself so the connector will not likely ever be used. The solar controller that supports the roof system would require some settings changes to use additional panels with the built-in connector and those panels would need to not have a controller themselves that would interfere with the other controller.

Anyway after a lot of research I ended up with the following which was professionally installed by bendmobilesolar.com. You can find mine under the "recent work" link, the 2016 Forest River Forester.

Details:
  • BlueSky 2512ix MPPT Controller
  • BlueSky ProRemote
  • 2x 160w mono crystalline panels
  • Solar shutoff
  • Battery temp lead (for the remote)
  • Shunt (for the remote)

I also installed the Progressive Industries ems-hw30c surge protector under the rear bed.

Finally, I suggest reading up on the LED taillight converter issue that some have had (including myself) in which the Curt LED converter is commonly installed under the coach near the rear bumper in a weather exposed location that can apparently lead to failure. After a lot of mystery, with the help of this forum and some perseverance I concluded that swapping out the original (failed) Curt controller fixed all my taillight issues. Here's a thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...off-93736.html

Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-23 20.52.36.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	100261  
Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at your solar installation and the link on the LED tail lite issue.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #19

I contacted Joshua Cavitt and he says that the LED converter is no longer a problem for units coming off this late in the model year.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithe View Post
I contacted Joshua Cavitt and he says that the LED converter is no longer a problem for units coming off this late in the model year.
That's great news, I wonder what they did...

Tags
forester