Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 05:06 PM   #1

No Tire Pressure Reading?

OK, this is probably a stupid one, but....I'm installing a TPMS and am not getting any pressure reading at all from my rear dually tires. With or without the sensor. Using a pressure gauge or pushing a screwdriver into the valve stem does not release any air.

I have factory installed metal extensions on the rears and I am getting nothing out of them. They appear to be connected to the tires, but very hard to reach in and get a hand on the tire valves to really check them.

What am I not seeing?
Old 01-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #2

Your tires are flat! Sorry, couldn't help myself
I would think the extensions are bad or not installed correctly.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Your tires are flat! Sorry, couldn't help myself
I would think the extensions are bad or not installed correctly.
I would have thought that myself if I didn't just drive it home from the dealer yesterday!
Old 01-30-2021, 09:34 PM   #4

I just had extensions replaced on the inner rear duallies. They were both bad. Installer said they were cheap junk.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiver View Post
OK, this is probably a stupid one, but....I'm installing a TPMS and am not getting any pressure reading at all from my rear dually tires. With or without the sensor. Using a pressure gauge or pushing a screwdriver into the valve stem does not release any air.

I have factory-installed
metal extensions on the rears and I am getting nothing out of them. They appear to be connected to the tires, but very hard to reach in and get a hand on the tire valves to really check them.

What am I not seeing?
FR extensions that come with the RV are probably airless extensions. If they are the flexible type I'm sure they are. You will need to replace those with different stems. I use metal stems and they work great.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
FR extensions that come with the RV are probably airless extensions. If they are the flexible type I'm sure they are. You will need to replace those with different stems. I use metal stems and they work great.
So these are FR add ons? I would have thought the tires, etc. fall under the Mercedes chassis side of the coach. And what does “airless” mean? (Sorry I’m new to all of this &#128512
MooseRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
And what does “airless” mean?
"Airless" means that the extension itself isn't pressurized except when you're adding air to the tire. The extension has a long poker-thing inside it that (theoretically) pushes on the real valve at the tire when you put an air chuck on it. These are notorious for not working very well...or not working at all.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:

I have factory installed metal extensions on the rears and I am getting nothing out of them. They appear to be connected to the tires, but very hard to reach in and get a hand on the tire valves to really check them.

What am I not seeing?
These are the stems that many of us have installed. This set includes all six wheels.
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...tems-dl1sp13fr

DL1SP13FR is the kit number and can be found from other sources such as Amazon. Here is a link to the Sprinter store.
https://www.sprinterstore.com/product-tag/dl1sp13fr/
Old 01-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
These are the stems that many of us have installed. This set includes all six wheels.
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...tems-dl1sp13fr

DL1SP13FR is the kit number and can be found from other sources such as Amazon. Here is a link to the Sprinter store.
https://www.sprinterstore.com/product-tag/dl1sp13fr/
Thanks Mikegjax, all that I've read out here is starting to make sense now that it's happening to me. So I order these, get my local truck tire store to install, and then my TPMS just goes on the ends.

There is one comment in one of the reviews about these only being rated up to 35 PSI. Any truth to that?

Also, I've been chasing parts through Forum links all day and yourtireshopsupply.com hasn't worked all day. I found these on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/DL1SP13-Dua...ustomerReviews
Old 01-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #10

https://smile.amazon.com/DL1SP13-Dua...ustomerReviews[/QUOTE]

I don't know where that 35 PSI number came from, but the stems are specifically for the Sprinters. I run mine a little higher than the 61 Ibs. recommended by FR.

The link I posted to the Sprinter store is the link that works. That set is for the front and back. If you are going to run senors on 6 wheels that is what I use.

If you are only doing the 4 rear, then the link you posted will do the job.

I also slide a piece of clear 3/8ths plastic tubing over my rear stems. A little extra protection if the wheel simulators get loose.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:57 PM   #11

Mikegjax I have a question regarding the TPMS from the Sprinter Store. The info says the monitor plugs into the 12v outlet. I already have a Garmin plugged into the lighter socket. How do I wire this monitor into the 12v system? TIA.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
Mikegjax I have a question regarding the TPMS from the Sprinter Store. The info says the monitor plugs into the 12v outlet. I already have a Garmin plugged into the lighter socket. How do I wire this monitor into the 12v system? TIA.
Click here .......
Old 01-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #13

I wondered if those would carry sufficient current for both the monitor and GPS. Thanks!
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:21 PM   #14

Yes. They will pride enough current for both. The splitter is the perfect solution. I have one that I use on the tv and a wifi booster.
Quote:
I wondered if those would carry sufficient current for both the monitor and GPS. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2021, 08:25 PM   #15

BTW. You should have two 12 v plugs in the cab. One for the cig. lighter and another under the ash tray.
Quote:
Old 02-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #16

No tire pressure reading???

When my 2020 Sprinter was delivered it had the TPMS still in the factory box and placed under the sink. My dealer found it during the pre-delivery inspection when I asked where the TPMS system was installed. When the dealer installed the TPMS system we discovered the inner dual tires were flat! Never found out if the factory delivered it to our west coast dealer driving on flat inner rear tires but I did have a MASSIVE side wall separation on one of the inside tires at 5,000 odometer miles. Just saying you too should suspect the tires are flat although they may look OK being supported by the outside tire. Getting the right valve stems installed so that you can check and add air to the inside is money well spent - valve stem kits cost about $140 plus installation. CAUTION: There are different valve stem kit numbers depending upon the model of your RV and the type of rims (Steel, ALCOA, other aluminum, etc) that you have.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...lly-valve-kits
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
Just saying you too should suspect the tires are flat although they may look OK being supported by the outside tire.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...lly-valve-kits
That's pretty scary. I will certainly double check that the inners aren't flat. But I wasn't getting a reading from the inner or outer tires. I have a kit on order and will contact a local truck shop that works on Sprinters tomorrow to arrange installation.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Tags
pressure, tire