Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

NOX sensors replaced...again

You gotta love check engine lights! Warm glow emanating from the dreary dash. A friendly colour, almost like the embers of a fire! Well I've seen that light a few times in the 16 month and 40000 kms travelled.

The first time in conjunction with CHK DEF and a countdown threat. Then cleared with addition of DEF. But it returned unremittingly. A thousand km later. And was dealt with the first time in Clearwater Fla last January.

Most recently the light came on just after we crossed the border into NY. (Border patrol caused it, nah). So we stopped in Syracuse at Romano MB and the wonderful folks took us on a 4:30 Friday afternoon and made the diagnosis. NOX sensors... Sorry but we can't do it now. So they reset everything and we travelled on toward Washington DC, our destination.

An hour later the CHK DEF and CEL come on. I filled with DEF, although it wasn't really low. But nothing changed and the countdown started. But we're hundreds of km from Washington. I am not stopping for this, I will just not turn off the rig if I need fuel.

We made Greenbelt park and stayed parked over the weekend. Monday am over to MB of Silver Springs and the wonderful folks there take me in right away, change the up and downstream sensors and road test. 6 hrs later we roll out with the friendly amber glow banished from the dashboard. How long till it's return. No idea. But we've got 5 years to figure this out guys.

By the way, the service techs are all frustrated with Germany's response. Apparently they don't have this problem over there, and are having trouble solving this, or aren't throwing many resources at it. The common response I've had from three techs is that MB says "we're working on it"!

Anyone else having emissions (SCR) problems? It is well know in Sprinter circles.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Eric,

Since our MBS was delivered to the dealer it has had the following M-B issues with the emissions system:

1. It was delivered to the dealer with a CEL on... It took three weeks for the local M-B dealer to locate and install the parts required to "rebuild" the DEF system. I was told there was a running change on the Sprinter production line and the new parts we have were not in open stock yet. Since this is a 2015 chassis that an interesting issue in itself!

2. The first time I fueled up our MBS the diesel pump did not turn off automatically and overfilled it. My error for not paying closer attention... Anyway that turned on the CEL. I called M-B support, and they said the CEL should clear after 5-8 restarts...it took eleven. After this I bought a ScanGauge to at least see the Error Codes when the CEL comes on...

3. Heading in to Charleston for the F.R.O.G. Rally last December the CEL came on. I had just refilled a few minutes prior so I thought that might be the issue even though there weren't any issues when refueling. I pulled the Error Codes with my ScanGauge and called M-B support. It wasn't due to the refueling...M-B support said to just keep driving it until I could visit my local dealer.

4. Leaving the Charleston Rally a few days later the dEF Chk and StArts RExx both came on and I went in to "count down" mode. The DEF tank needed less than a gallon to "top off". I drove home only stopping to refuel. After a week in the M-B shop a bad DEF injector was replaced.

So our MBS has been in the M-B shop for about a month for emission system issues since it arrived at my FR dealership.

Along with the emission system issues we have also had:

The Power Door locks replaced. This was performed during the three week visit.

The windshield replaced due to very deep horizontal scratches. Right at eye level for me... This was another week in the M-B shop while waiting for a new windshield. I insisted on a M-B brand replacement windshield, not some generic brand.

The interior plastic around the seat belts, behind the seats, needed repainted. The seat belt connectors had worn the plastic's color from light grey to white. The dash also needed some "touch up". My local FR dealer took care of this one.

The sad part is when it runs right the MBS is a pleasure to drive. And the "W" floor plan is very comfortable for the two of us. Anyway I finally resolved any other possible M-B issues a couple of weeks ago...see my Signature.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:09 AM   #3

I feel your pain. I love the way ours drives too. And the R floorplan with its great storage capacity works for me. But owning a MBS and sorting out the Forest River build is not for the faint of heart. My dad owned a holiday rambler 32' A class back in the nineties, so I am accustomed to watching for, and fixing lots of little things. Many factory deficiencies got fixed in the first month I owned it, while we were travelling. I would just rather fix it right myself and not have to leave it at the shop. But my service experience with both FR and MB has been exemplary!
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

We have the 24R on a Sprinter 3500 chassis with the Mercedes 300 engine. On our last trip we saw the check engine light come on. Checked all of the standard things, oil, coolant, blu def, everything appeared to be ok. There was nowhere to go for help, and it was running fine, so we continued on. 1200 miles later I plugged in my OBD, and saw a P2201 code, which turns out to be a NOx sensor issue. I cleared the code, but I understand that it takes 100 miles to repeat the error if it is still there. I hope to find that out this week. I would appreciate very much anything new on this issue, and I will do likewise.

Thanks
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway View Post
We have the 24R on a Sprinter 3500 chassis with the Mercedes 300 engine. On our last trip we saw the check engine light come on. Checked all of the standard things, oil, coolant, blu def, everything appeared to be ok. There was nowhere to go for help, and it was running fine, so we continued on. 1200 miles later I plugged in my OBD, and saw a P2201 code, which turns out to be a NOx sensor issue. I cleared the code, but I understand that it takes 100 miles to repeat the error if it is still there. I hope to find that out this week. I would appreciate very much anything new on this issue, and I will do likewise.

Thanks
NOX sensor covered under federal emissions warranty. See that booklet provided in your Benz paperwork.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote