Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #1

Question one brake light stays on,

I have a 2014 diesel sprinter and one brake light stays on with all the power turned off and key out of the ignition. I know one other person had this problem but never found an answer on how to fix the problem
msgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:45 PM   #2

Noticed my right rear tail light stayed very dimly lit even though all light switches were off. It stayed dimly lit even with coach and chassis power disconnected.

At first I thought I had discovered a new source of electricity. Had my Curt controller replaced with a Hopkins controller last year under the factory recall. Never had any lighting problems before. Dealer could not look at the problem right away because their service dept. was fully booked.

So, I got under the 2016 2401W and checked all the controller connections to see if I could find a bad connection. All seemed to look OK. Lifted the cover flap for the 7 point trailer connector and it had all this light bluish/green damp gelatinous goo inside that looked like corrosion stuff.

Cleaned the goo out of the connector with Q tips and wiped everything clean. Checked the tail light again and it was off! Problem fixed.

This might be something other posters may want to check. At least it worked for me.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
This might be something other posters may want to check. At least it worked for me.
Good idea!

That 7 pin connector includes both always on +12 volt and ground connections, so anything that might lead to a short or partial short could easily feed back into the taillight wiring...
Old 02-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #4

Thanks everyone for the answer to my question. I found that I had a water leak by my pump and water got into my light control box next to the pump
Old 02-16-2021, 10:35 PM   #5

Glad I came across this post. Our recently purchased 2016 forester mbs 2401w started doing this last night. Where do I locate this controller? @namusmc said under so it doesn't look like it is inside. Thank you in advance.
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:42 AM   #6

brake light

If I recall right, its been years since I sold my RV, Next to the water pump in the back rear storage door there is a silver box and thats where I found my lighting problem
Old 02-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #7

May depend on your year/model, but most of the taillight control modules were mounted just in front of the rear bumper. You should be able to find it by tracing the wires back from the 7 way plug at the rear of the motorhome. You might find more details and pictures if you search around on this forum and the Solera forum.

Dave
Old 02-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #8

Dave, thanks! I came across a few threads like this one talking about this issue, pretty common it seems. Hope to take a look at it before my battery is dead :|
Old 02-23-2021, 09:17 PM   #9

This is a 3 year old post that already has HUNDREDS of thread answers about a known issue with the Curt brake light controller, if only one took the time to look at all the answers.
Why keep it open, Site Team?
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #10

Mark & Susan: this happened to be among the first search results, but true, I came across many other very well detailed threads so no need for this one. I left a link in a previous post to hopefully save someone from re-opening this thread again.

Tags
light