Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2022, 10:57 PM   #1

Opinions on 2016 Sunseeker 2400S

Found a low mileage 11,600 from a friend's neighbor.

Never owned an RV but always liked Class C as I like the Van cab.

I've owned 6 vans and have camped in them for many years but now we are getting too old for that (mostly my Wife who is battling cancer) and need to step up for the comfort features.

This older couple is the 2nd owner and they have barely used it so I think it's in pretty good shape the only thing that's wrong with it is the electric step as far as I know.

Is there anything I should look for and what do you guys think is a fair price?

Thanks
Gary
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmotoman View Post
Found a low mileage 11,600 from a friend's neighbor.

Never owned an RV but always liked Class C as I like the Van cab.

I've owned 6 vans and have camped in them for many years but now we are getting too old for that (mostly my Wife who is battling cancer) and need to step up for the comfort features.

This older couple is the 2nd owner and they have barely used it so I think it's in pretty good shape the only thing that's wrong with it is the electric step as far as I know.

Is there anything I should look for and what do you guys think is a fair price?

Thanks

Gary
Moved thread to the Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis sub-forum, in the Motorhome section since the OP is asking for model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:19 PM   #3

Ok Thanks I'm new to RV's didn't know where to post.

I'm up here at my ol best friend Don's cabin visiting his widow and his neighbor has a really nice Mercedes RV for sale 2016. 11, 600 miles.
It's an older couple and they never use it.
Sunseeker Forest River 2400S

It's in pretty good shape think I'm gonna buy it Class C.
I know almost nothing about motorhomes but I've always wanted a Class C.
Is it a good buy yes or no..

Thanks

Old 07-04-2022, 04:22 AM   #4

Those electric steps not working could indicate a dead 'house' battery. That would be an easy fix. A dead battery has killed our electric steps on more than one occasion.
You're probably going to need new tires.
If everything works and the price is reasonable, why not? Lots of people buy rvs and then find that either one of the people really doesn't like traveling or camping or health reasons keep them closer to home.
Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #5

Ok Thanks

So are those house batteries the ones that are in the steps they had 2 of them.

I thought they were to power the coach accessories and the accessories seemed to work fine.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Ok Thanks

So are those house batteries the ones that are in the steps they had 2 of them.

I thought they were to power the coach accessories and the accessories seemed to work fine.
It could be the switch on the door that activates the steps when the door opens, check the step motor to see if it is getting power and if it is then the motor might need to be replaced, also lubricate all the moving parts of the steps with a dry lubricant. Another check is that some coaches require the emergency brake to be on before the steps will go out.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #7

We have a 2018 Sunseeker 2401 very similar to this one. My steps crapped out last year and I had to replace the motor. No big deal.
I would check everything to be sure it works. Water pump, shower, water heater, slides, vent fans, stove, microwave, all appliances. Look for evidence of water intrusion such as stains or soft floor. Check all the outside storage compartments for evidence of leaks. Run the generator and AC and furnace.
Ask for any maintenance logs if they kept them. MB might be able to tell you of any warranty or vehicle repair if you give them the VIN.
It looks nice. If everything cheeks out you will enjoy it. The only shortcoming we found was a lack of storage space, so we use the bunk area above the cab to store big plastic tubs with extra clothes and bedding. Good luck and have fun.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:10 PM   #8

My concern would be the small full size corner bed is easier for young people, unless your wife uses the dinette bed. Other than that a nice rig.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
We have a 2018 Sunseeker 2401 very similar to this one. My steps crapped out last year and I had to replace the motor. No big deal.
I would check everything to be sure it works. Water pump, shower, water heater, slides, vent fans, stove, microwave, all appliances. Look for evidence of water intrusion such as stains or soft floor. Check all the outside storage compartments for evidence of leaks. Run the generator and AC and furnace.
Ask for any maintenance logs if they kept them. MB might be able to tell you of any warranty or vehicle repair if you give them the VIN.
It looks nice. If everything cheeks out you will enjoy it. The only shortcoming we found was a lack of storage space, so we use the bunk area above the cab to store big plastic tubs with extra clothes and bedding. Good luck and have fun.
Good advise will follow.

So far she showed me these working
Slidout
Generator
Electric Awning

I took it for a drive, it runs GOOD!

I did notice and not sure if this is normal but when you let off the gas it really decelerates, engine breaking something I'm not used to.

Also a LOT of downward brake pedal movement before it works.
She said she asked the dealer about this and they

Said it was normal.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #10

Update

OK guys I got a letter of intent to sell to me and I went over a few things with the old guy.

She's a retired librarian and very organized. the RV is an excellent shape almost like new in certain areas and I think we're getting a pretty good deal as this Mercedes RV really is top notch, they don't cut corners!

It's crazy how life works out sometimes we came up here to get out of the heat and spend time with with Kathy and now we are going to own a Mercedes RV...
Who wulda thought! :woohoo:

Old 07-05-2022, 09:55 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

It looks and reads well from all your reports.
I hope it works well for you, and just know thereís lots of help here on your next adventure.

Best of luck and fun times.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD carried by a 2017 Ford E450
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
It looks and reads well from all your reports.
I hope it works well for you, and just know thereís lots of help here on your next adventure.

Best of luck and fun times.
Thanks EVERYONE!

We are pretty excited.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:36 AM   #13

Mercedes 2016

I have a 2016 Solera, Mercedes. Identical to yours. I bought it with 14,000 miles 2 years ago. Consistently 14.5-15 mpg. Love it. Do know this though. Mercedes will repair and make changes to the DEF ni-oxide sensors and the low DEF sensor in the DEF fluid tank. And they will extend that warranty. If you get LOW DEF warnings on your dash, the vehicle will go into limp mode and restrict your speed. I would make sure this issue has been addressed before you head out on a trip. My system failed traveling between MI and FL. Read up on the DEF system. Once this was fixed, the RV has been a dream! Also, we removed the dinette and we put in a triple fold sofa purchased from RecPro (I believe). Price about $1000 delivered. Very comfortable to sleep on.
I highly recommend the MBS dealerships in Birmingham Alabama and Toledo Ohio.
Enjoy and friend me if you like because I know this rig quite well.
TeriTheFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #14

Mercedes 2016

I bought my 2016 Solera 2400s with 14000 miles on it in June of 2020 for $50,000. Exceptionally clean. Stored inside and I did put new tires on it only because of the age of the tires, not the mileage. Enjoy!
TeriTheFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriTheFinn View Post
I have a 2016 Solera, Mercedes. Identical to yours. I bought it with 14,000 miles 2 years ago. Consistently 14.5-15 mpg. Love it. Do know this though. Mercedes will repair and make changes to the DEF ni-oxide sensors and the low DEF sensor in the DEF fluid tank. And they will extend that warranty. If you get LOW DEF warnings on your dash, the vehicle will go into limp mode and restrict your speed. I would make sure this issue has been addressed before you head out on a trip. My system failed traveling between MI and FL. Read up on the DEF system. Once this was fixed, the RV has been a dream! Also, we removed the dinette and we put in a triple fold sofa purchased from RecPro (I believe). Price about $1000 delivered. Very comfortable to sleep on.
I highly recommend the MBS dealerships in Birmingham Alabama and Toledo Ohio.
Enjoy and friend me if you like because I know this rig quite well.

Thanks for the info.
How do I Friend you?
Old 07-07-2022, 11:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriTheFinn View Post
I bought my 2016 Solera 2400s with 14000 miles on it in June of 2020 for $50,000. Exceptionally clean. Stored inside and I did put new tires on it only because of the age of the tires, not the mileage. Enjoy!
Wow now I'm thinking this might not be a good deal at $78,000 and it has been kept outside.

What is the difference with the Solera?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

How do I Friend you?
In your Welcome Letter you received, it should explain how to use our Personal Message system. There is no "Friend" system.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
In your Welcome Letter you received, it should explain how to use our Personal Message system. There is no "Friend" system.
Ok
Yes I am familiar with the PM system.

Will send a PM

Thanks
Old 07-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #19

That price seems a little high . You can check out values on NADA and RV trader to get an idea of what people are asking for that model. Good luck.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/...6558170/Values
2019 Hemisphere GLX 273RL Sold
Teamster4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #20

Quote:

Also a LOT of downward brake pedal movement before it works.

She said she asked the dealer about this and they

Said it was normal.

Thanks
I find if you just apply the brakes you get OK braking but if you really need to stop, pump the brake once. Big difference.
NearDenver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker