Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Outside lights won't go off / Curt Taillight Controller

I have a 2016 Coachmen Prism and the outside lights (marker and taillights) won't go off. I've read the two related threads but don't know what I'm looking for or where to look for it. I limped home and have call(s) into the local service center but can't get a human to call me back. Meanwhile the lights are still on.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

Til you find the issue can you pull the marker light / tail light fuse???

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I've tried to locate the correct fuse using the MBS supplement but haven't found the right one yet. So frustrating!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersMom View Post
Thank you for your reply. I've tried to locate the correct fuse using the MBS supplement but haven't found the right one yet. So frustrating!
Fuse location won't be detailed in the MBS documents since the controller was installed by the coach builder. I don't know the location of the tail light fuse panel on your make, but hopefully someone else will. In the meantime, You can have a look around. There should be a fuse block about 4" x 6" x 2", likely located somewhere near the rear of the coach, that will have the fuses plainly labeled. Mine is in a basement area behind the water pump access door and I need a flashlight to see it since it's barely visible when the door is open. I imagine yours is hidden away as well, but it will be accessible.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #5

Thank you for your help. Between your info and that provided by Ron Ross at Coachmen I was able to locate the fuse - next to the water pump, accessible by extending the slide and removing the drawer on the right side of the back wall.

At least it is a short-term fix.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #6

We had this exact problem in July after driving thru a rainstorm. We ended up disconnecting our battery to temporarily get the lights off. Ours is a 2016 FR Sunseeker. With great advice from forum members we contacted FR warranty division they sent us a replacement controller and we took it to a RV service center and they installed the new controller. We were about 3k miles from home when we had this problem. The Curt controller was located on the drivers side in the wheel well behind the rear tires. Its not big about 4 inches by 5 inches. FR has a complete list of Vin numbers on their effected units mine was on page 43( it's a long list). The recall is from NHTSA I would go to their website and put in my VIN and see what comes up. I'm sure Coachman has a warranty division also. This is a safety recall so repairs and parts are paid for by the manufacturer.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #7

I am surprised with the posting i see on here that to me should be solved by the dealer. I have had a variety of units since 1973 and any problems (which have been few) where quickly solved by the dealer. And we travel a lot with our current unit a 2015 Puma travel trailer that has been coast to coast in Canada many times. This year it was a 10000km trip (6000miles) and still no problems. Are the dealers here in Canada that much more helpfull or have i missed somethimg.
ramsaytwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #8

We purchased our unit used. It was a repossession. It had only 4800 miles on it and much of that was the drive from the factory to the west coast. I'm sure the original owner had received notification of the Curt recall...probably after they no longer owned it.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, light