RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #1

Parking Brake won't disengage - cable broken??

Hi All,

I've seen a few threads concerning Sprinter parking brake challenges. Here's our situation. The RV has only been moved around in the driveway the last couple of weeks to make room for a new parking pad being put in. As my wife now goes to move the RV to the new pad, the brake won't disengage. I am away from home taking care of a family member and that makes this even more challenging.

Despite all the tips and tricks mentioned on the internet, no luck. So I called Mercedes roadside assistance. They sent someone right out, but he didn't seem too familiar with the brake system, and concluded quickly the brake cable was broken. I find it hard to believe that my wife (or I) would have the strength to break a brand new cable by pulling up too hard.

I have now called the closest (1 1/2 hours) Mercedes Sprinter Service Dealer and I am waiting on a call back to see if they can send a tech as a courtesy to see if anything can be done before towing.

I also called Forest River Roadside Assistance and they offered to either tow (they would have to figure out how to disengage the brake to do that?) or send a Mobile RV mechanic. Holding off for now, until I hear back from the Mercedes dealer.

With the RV being under warranty and as a new RV owner, I'm looking for any advice on how to navigate the situation between Forest River and Mercedes, especially being away from home. I'd prefer not to have it towed to the dealer if it's possible to fix in the driveway.

Thanks for any insight!
Old 11-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #2

I had something like that happen.
I thought the parking brake didn't release so called tow truck. When he was pulling the rv onto the tow truck, I heard a big BANG. Then the brake seemed fine. I could then drive to mercedes service to check brake.
Unfortunately they couldn't find anything wrong with brake and they thought the issue was with the transmission (which I thought was MUCH worse). They did find there was a bit more transmission fluid than there should be and fixed that. For a while, every time I started driving the RV, I wondered if the issue would reappear.
It's been more than 1 year since issue so maybe it was the transmission fluid. Who knows.
NearDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiver View Post
Hi All,

I've seen a few threads concerning Sprinter parking brake challenges. Here's our situation. The RV has only been moved around in the driveway the last couple of weeks to make room for a new parking pad being put in. As my wife now goes to move the RV to the new pad, the brake won't disengage. I am away from home taking care of a family member and that makes this even more challenging.

Despite all the tips and tricks mentioned on the internet, no luck. So I called Mercedes roadside assistance. They sent someone right out, but he didn't seem too familiar with the brake system, and concluded quickly the brake cable was broken. I find it hard to believe that my wife (or I) would have the strength to break a brand new cable by pulling up too hard.

I have now called the closest (1 1/2 hours) Mercedes Sprinter Service Dealer and I am waiting on a call back to see if they can send a tech as a courtesy to see if anything can be done before towing.

I also called Forest River Roadside Assistance and they offered to either tow (they would have to figure out how to disengage the brake to do that?) or send a Mobile RV mechanic. Holding off for now, until I hear back from the Mercedes dealer.

With the RV being under warranty and as a new RV owner, I'm looking for any advice on how to navigate the situation between Forest River and Mercedes, especially being away from home. I'd prefer not to have it towed to the dealer if it's possible to fix in the driveway.

Thanks for any insight!
I trust you are aware that the parking brake handle folds down to get out of the way of the rotating seat. In order to operate it, you must raise the handle first, then operated it as a “normal“ handle. In any event , what happens when you press the button and raise the handle?

I don’t think most tow drivers would know about this feature.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I trust you are aware that the parking brake handle folds down to get out of the way of the rotating seat. In order to operate it, you must raise the handle first, then operated it as a ďnormalď handle. In any event , what happens when you press the button and raise the handle?

I donít think most tow drivers would know about this feature.
Yes, no problems with it the first two months. I had gotten used to the quirkiness. But since then - at first when it was being pulled up it was clicking, but now no click at all. We tried every combo, pull then push button and down, etc.

Given the tow driver was through Mercedes Roadside, I would have assumed he was familiar, but it didn't seem like it from what my wife told me.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearDenver View Post
When he was pulling the rv onto the tow truck, I heard a big BANG. Then the brake seemed fine.
Hoping it's just locked in place having been engaged too tight, and needs a bang or pop to get it unstuck. I've read that scenario a couple of times. Once it's freed, it seems most people then go easy on it and don't pull up real tight when engaging.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Try moving the rv just slightly in forward and reverse. After that try releasing the parking brake.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiver View Post
Hoping it's just locked in place having been engaged too tight, and needs a bang or pop to get it unstuck. I've read that scenario a couple of times. Once it's freed, it seems most people then go easy on it and don't pull up real tight when engaging.
X2. Happens on vehicles with the push to set/push to release. Push too hard and it doesn't want to release. I would put it in reverse and try to release it.
2012 Dodge Challenger
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #8

May also try starting the motor, depressing the brake pedal hard and release the hand brake at he same time. The pedal pressure may be slightly more than the hand brake set.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #9

Surely the ratchet that engages/disengages it is at the driver's pedal/handle. It pulls the cable. If the cable broke, the brake would fail to engage at all.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #10

Following
Old 11-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #11

On our 2015 you had to push the button on the brake handle and pull up hard then release while still holding in the button. Sometimes you really had to pull it hard. Good luck
lwalkplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:41 PM   #12

X2 on hold in on button and pull up more while continuing to hold button in until it releases. Have had to do this numerous times on 2017 forester MBS.
bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #13

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Mercedes Service Manager had taken my info but then never called me back. I did call FR RA and they were more than happy to send a tow or RV mechanic, but I decided to wait until I can get back home in a couple of weeks to try it myself. I'll let you all know how I make out.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #14

Update...and all is well

So.... after thinking about this for the past few weeks while I was away, I finally got home last night and couldn't wait to give it a try. I started 'er up, pressed hard on the brake pedal, and the parking brake disengaged without any finesse at all. Couldn't have been easier.

So three possibilities I guess:

1) While it sat for 4 weeks, it loosened up somehow? Cable stretched a bit?
2) Pressing the brake pedal was the answer, but it was REALLY easy to disengage
3) My wife, neighbor, and the Mercedes RA guy all didn't know what they were doing .

I can't hold it against my wife and neighbor for trying ( I do think something was wrong that fixed itself somehow), but having a Mercedes guy come and try once and then say "the cable is broken" is pretty bad.

Anyway, I'm back in business, won't be applying the brake very hard in the future, and looking forward to whatever the next RV challenge is!!!

Thanks all!

Tags
cable, parking