Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #1

Power usage

We have a 25’ Sunseeker MBS and are trying to determine where our DC power goes since we mostly boondock here in Idaho. Can someone tell me if a) the coach lighting inside is LED?; b) how much power does the CO/HC detector uses that is located near the floor at the bed?; c) the lights on the front of the worthless Jensen AM/FM/CD player above the side door? We installed a pair of new coach batteries a year ago. Before I spend money on batteries I would like to investigate usage further.
idahobaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

It would help if you told us the year and model number. With the info you gave us we don't know if you bought it new 10 years ago or used a year ago. Fill out your User CP and the info will be there whenever you post a question or reply.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #3

Hard to tell about whether the lights are LED or not without knowing more info. But you should be able to pull a lens off one of the smaller lights to see if it's LED or not.

The other battery draws you mentioned would be very small. A couple that you didn't mention include the refrigerator, which (as I recall) draws a non-trivial amount of power just in it's control functions (ie, running the computer, turning it on and off, maybe running a blower) and the water pump, depending on how much you're using it. I'd guess that the fridge is the biggest draw, but even with that, and using a modest amount of lighting, you should be able to last on batteries for a few days. What makes you think you have a problem - how much duration are you getting with your current setup?

Dave
Old 07-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #4

Power usage

BTW, it’s a Sunseeker MBS 2400W - 2016.
idahobaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahobaker View Post
BTW, it’s a Sunseeker MBS 2400W - 2016.
According to the 2016 Sunseeker brochure: "LED Lighting Throughout". The brochure is available here:
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...erbrochure.pdf
Dave
Old 07-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #6

You could install a DC power monitor in the coach that would display how much current is leaving the batteries. These units will track watt-hour power usage over time. By turning devices on and off and watching the current display you can determine exactly how much current each device uses.

These monitors run from $15 up to several hundred dollars.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahobaker View Post
We have a 25’ Sunseeker MBS and are trying to determine where our DC power goes since we mostly boondock here in Idaho. Can someone tell me if a) the coach lighting inside is LED?; b) how much power does the CO/HC detector uses that is located near the floor at the bed?; c) the lights on the front of the worthless Jensen AM/FM/CD player above the side door? We installed a pair of new coach batteries a year ago. Before I spend money on batteries I would like to investigate usage further.
I have a 2016 puma toyhauler, led lighting , 12 v pump for water and use it boondocking . original battery deepcycle , group 24 and a 100 watt renogy monocrystaline solar panel. Always have pleanty of 12 v power for lights , heater,fridge cycling, etc. Cloudy day are days to conserve power. Other than that i am good for as long as i want to camp. Go out and enjoy the outdoors , battery power is not a big concern with this set up. Need a little power till the sun returns? Run tow vehicle for a brief period and you will be happy.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
Just as confused as you

Use the attached documents for a quick and dirty estimate. LED lights are missing from the first list, you can figure the power usage using the 2nd document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Power requirements.pdf (5.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf Lumens-Watts Conversion.pdf (37.8 KB, 10 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
Run tow vehicle for a brief period and you will be happy.
He doesn't have a tow vehicle but may have a toad vehicle. He has a motorhome.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #10

Our experience has been 25 ah per day , more if you like to watch tv. That would be running the fridge on propane which uses more power than most realize due to the defrost strip. This can be modified to an off switch . Some one has posted that on the site if you search.
Your coach only has 200 ah batteries that can be drained to 50% before causing lasting damage . That will give you 3-5 days boondock depending on your use. Driving, generator or adding solar can recharge easily get you to any length of stay. You will probably run out of water before you run out of power with a few evening generator runs to charge batteries .

Tags
power