Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #1

propane hose leak

Hey all, just got back from our first trip in our new 2017 2401R. Spent 3 weeks down in Fla. Stayed at some great state parks--Jonathon Dickinson, Little Talbot & Fort Clinch and at Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park in Jacksonville. Would recommend them all. Anyway, at one stop I noticed a propane smell coming from the driver's side. I checked the tank and heard a soft hissing noise. I turned the valve off and it stopped. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the hose to the propane grill had a leak in it. The hose runs from the tank, under the coach to the quick disconnect valve. The hose is completely exposed under the chassis. Something must have bounced up from the road and nicked it. Has anyone else had this issue. Is it safe to leave that hose exposed like that? Feel lucky we caught it when we did. Could have been a disaster. Anybody else have any issues with their propane hose?

thanks

Steve & Susan
Skialberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Site Team

There are lots of units with the hose exposed as yours is. Whether it's a good idea is another issue. Apparently the mfg. thinks it is, however, I'd replace it and add some split wire loom around it. You may rip the loom off, but it would at least help protect the hose a little.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Site Team

On my last 3 TT I have had areas where the propane hose has touched some not rounded frame edges. In each case, I take a short piece (8"-10") of old heavy garden hose slit it and slip it over the effected area. You can zip tie or tape it in place. In two cases the hose had significant wear after 2-3 years.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Thanks for your suggestions. Will definitely be adding some protective wrap come spring.
Skialberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skialberts View Post
Hey all, just got back from our first trip in our new 2017 2401R. Spent 3 weeks down in Fla. Stayed at some great state parks--Jonathon Dickinson, Little Talbot & Fort Clinch and at Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park in Jacksonville. Would recommend them all. Anyway, at one stop I noticed a propane smell coming from the driver's side. I checked the tank and heard a soft hissing noise. I turned the valve off and it stopped. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the hose to the propane grill had a leak in it. The hose runs from the tank, under the coach to the quick disconnect valve. The hose is completely exposed under the chassis. Something must have bounced up from the road and nicked it. Has anyone else had this issue. Is it safe to leave that hose exposed like that? Feel lucky we caught it when we did. Could have been a disaster. Anybody else have any issues with their propane hose?

thanks

Steve & Susan
I just ordered a Sunseeker MBS last week. I have seen pictures showing a small keyed door on the passenger side, when opened exposed the quick-connect. Is this how yours came or have they changed the location of the quick connect?
Automatic_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

Propane hose leak

They have changed it. My 2016 hose is not in a door but is exposed just to the left of the drivers door. No access door for the disconnect.
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #7

Thanks
Automatic_11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, propane