Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #1

Really Forest River - Really ?

I still occasionally discover things that FR did to my 2015 Solera 24R that makes me wonder what they are thinking when they build these things. There is NO EXCUSE FOR POOR WORKMANSHIP.

Over the weekend I was on the roof changing-out two hand-crank vents that come loose when traveling with (1) MaxxAir remote-control vent and a EZ-Breeze ventonly vent in the bathroom. While up there I decided to add a Fantastic Fan Ultrabreeze vent cover to the factory installed Fantastic Fan.

To install the vent cover, you have to remove two screws from both sides of the Fantastic fan. To my surprise, the factory didn't install any screws !! Really Forest River ? Really ???? The Fantastic fan is only held down by Putty Tape and Dicor. RTFM Forest River - Fantastic Fans have to be screwed to the roof !

Now I have to remove all the DICOR, and install all the screws, then re-do the DICOR. This was absolutely a failure by FR - the screws are free with the kit, so they didn't shave $1.00 off the unit, so why not do it right for an $86k rig ?

You better check your Fantastic Fans if they came factory installed !
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
I still occasionally discover things that FR did to my 2015 Solera 24R that makes me wonder what they are thinking when they build these things. There is NO EXCUSE FOR POOR WORKMANSHIP.

Over the weekend I was on the roof changing-out two hand-crank vents that come loose when traveling with (1) MaxxAir remote-control vent and a EZ-Breeze ventonly vent in the bathroom. While up there I decided to add a Fantastic Fan Ultrabreeze vent cover to the factory installed Fantastic Fan.

To install the vent cover, you have to remove two screws from both sides of the Fantastic fan. To my surprise, the factory didn't install any screws !! Really Forest River ? Really ???? The Fantastic fan is only held down by Putty Tape and Dicor. RTFM Forest River - Fantastic Fans have to be screwed to the roof !

Now I have to remove all the DICOR, and install all the screws, then re-do the DICOR. This was absolutely a failure by FR - the screws are free with the kit, so they didn't shave $1.00 off the unit, so why not do it right for an $86k rig ?

You better check your Fantastic Fans if they came factory installed !

Are you sure the Fantastic Fan was installed by the factory? My SunSeeker came with a "no name" fan in the front, and a very small fan in the bathroom. We upgraded the bath fan and the bedroom small sky light opening to MaxAir fans, and added MaxAir covers to all 3 openings. This work was all done at the dealer prior to delivery. I am not an apologist for FR, and don't know if the Solera's came stock with Fantastic Fans.

How hard was it to remove the DiCor? My understanding is that that stuff is aggressively "stuck". Do you think that the fans would come out without the screws?

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 09-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #3

[IMG]Over the weekend I was on the roof changing-out two hand-crank vents that come loose when traveling with (1) MaxxAir remote-control vent and a EZ-Breeze ventonly vent in the bathroom. While up there I decided to add a Fantastic Fan Ultrabreeze vent cover to the factory installed Fantastic Fan.[/IMG]

As long as we are buying their products. They knew about all that, but couldn't care less. As soon as no one buying them, they will change other than that why would they?
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #4

That's a thought - did the dealer install it ?

That's a great question. I assumed FR installed the Fantastic fan because it was on the invoice. The workmanship certainly looks like something I'd expect from a Dealer.

As far as removing the Dicor - it's not hard on a 2.5 year old unit. Work a piece up with a putty knife, then slowly start pulling toward the next screw head and it comes up fairly easily. Slow down around screw heads so you don't pull your dicor 'strip' off, otherwise you have to start pulling a new strip of dicor. In all, it can't take 5-10 minutes for a trailer that is 2.5 years old and sat outside for one year. I would suspect older Dicor might be harder to pull off.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

We have a Fantastic fan in our unit. We put on a Fanmate cover it comes with L shaped brackets that allow you to install the bracket to the side of the fan frame and then you use a clip to install the cover to the clip. No screwing into the roof. We did have to remove a small amount of the dicor so the cover would sit level. It was an easy install. The Fanmate cover is made by Maxxair. Look at videos on you tube.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #6

It hasn’t came off in almost 3 years... seems to be well secured.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Some days I just have to shake my head at the lack of proper attention to detail and the things that some people find acceptable. Just because it hasn't fallen off yet doesn't mean that is was done properly.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:32 PM   #8

To me it's really been an eye opener that a company produces such a high ticket item with such shoddy workmanship. I love my MH but when I look and see staples in a wall and trim coming loose it makes the purchase bittersweet. Too bad the quality control is non existent. I read all the posts...yes I'm retired...and I really appreciate the fact that Brian Clemons is on here so much and is very responsive to the questions from the Isata owners. I know he does this on his own. It just means he has integrity. I don't see that much. If this was a brick and mortar home or a new car we wouldn't stand for the lack of concern to detail. Its too bad we have no recourse when it comes to a MH.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #9

I have similar issues regarding build quality, but I think it is luck of the draw as far as any particular rig. For example, my A/C unit looks like it was installed by a 5 year-old, but another member showed me a picture of a perfect install on a similar rig.

The take home lesson for me is that I need to check each and every system no matter what it looks like on the surface.

I read a post which indicated that the installers run from rig to rig during the install, trying to get the build done as fast as possible. I tend to believe that post because what I experience in my 8288SS indicates sloppy workmanship.

I like to think of my fiver as a work in progress - replace all the shoddy installs with quality replacements. Making lemonade from lemons, it is kind of fun tailoring the rig to my exact specifications, and quite satisfying.
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
owgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #10

I agree with you. Can you just imagine how much better it would be if they had q.c. supervising the build and cared about producing a product in keeping with its price tag. Right now I need to email Kyle Davis for the third time in regards to my promised reimbursement for the labor on replacing my Curt Controller. Third time....
Old 09-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #11

Indeed; if I were to find a company like that I'd never purchase from another - talk about brand loyalty. Unfortunately the corporations have done their homework and there is always a new sucker to come along to purchase their less than perfect unit. I'm afraid that we are at the mercy of the manufacturers. However, in my ideal world, there would be a single manufacturer that would emerge above all others in build quality.
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
owgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #12

"However, in my ideal world, there would be a single manufacturer that would emerge above all others in build quality"

A monopoly can only be created and maintained with force

The Soviets tried for perfection in Mfg,

Ever hear of the Yugo?
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
We have a Fantastic fan in our unit. We put on a Fanmate cover it comes with L shaped brackets that allow you to install the bracket to the side of the fan frame and then you use a clip to install the cover to the clip. No screwing into the roof. We did have to remove a small amount of the dicor so the cover would sit level. It was an easy install. The Fanmate cover is made by Maxxair. Look at videos on you tube.

I believe he meant the fan itself was bat screwed in [emoji15].
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #14
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"However, in my ideal world, there would be a single manufacturer that would emerge above all others in build quality"

A monopoly can only be created and maintained with force

The Soviets tried for perfection in Mfg,

Ever hear of the Yugo?

I'm old enough to remember when AT&T had a government-enforced monopoly. Decades went by without much improvement in phone technology, but prices sure went up.

Monopoly went away, prices plummeted, technology surged, quality improved.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #15

Just reattached 3 pieces of trim on my 2018 last night and have to take down my bathroom door and re-square the hinge side wall as the door has a 1/16" overlap at the top and a 1/4" gap at the bottom. Top edge of door frame is coming lose. Before fall arrives, I need to wire brush the entire frame down and hit it with a coat or two of Rustoleum. Every single weld under there is already heavily coated with rust.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #16

Rebuilding my dinette seat is a monthly thing. Most of the welds are broken and I have several pounds of screws and nuts added to it right now. It's such a shame.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river