Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
Senior

Rear blind spot

I recently bought a 2017 Forester 2401W. We are enjoying it especially the room with the slide extended. However, I am astonished that I can not see what is directly behind me when I am driving. The side view mirrors do not extend far enough from the vehicle in my opinion. I have owned numerous vans in the past 50 plus years as well as a 80's Coachman class C on a Chevy chassis. I can not see what is directly behind me no matter how I adjust the side mirrors or rear monitor. The right mirror is worse due to the awning arm blocking the view.
Is there any way to extend the factory mirrors?
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:32 AM   #2

Maybe define "directly behind you"??

If your saying like where your trailer hitch is ? Only a rear camera will help in that area.

If your saying cars behind you ? You should be able to adjust you're factory mirrors to see those ??

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
I recently bought a 2017 Forester 2401W. We are enjoying it especially the room with the slide extended. However, I am astonished that I can not see what is directly behind me when I am driving. The side view mirrors do not extend far enough from the vehicle in my opinion. I have owned numerous vans in the past 50 plus years as well as a 80's Coachman class C on a Chevy chassis. I can not see what is directly behind me no matter how I adjust the side mirrors or rear monitor. The right mirror is worse due to the awning arm blocking the view.
I know exactly what you're talking about. This was an issue with my 2010 Solera. Forest River does not change the side mirrors from those which come standard on the MB chassis. I'm a bit surprised that this is still true. So, I added 3" round convex mirrors (stick-on) to each side mirror, which helped a lot...then just became used to it from there.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
If you have a backup camera, turn it on. Works great while driving not just for backing up.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior

I use the backup camera while I am driving but with the camera adjusted as far up as possible to provide a view behind I can only see one car behind my toad when stopped at a traffic light.
The mirrors only give a good view (with the large part) of vehicles traveling in the lane next to me and nothing of the lane that I am driving in. I have millions of miles of experience driving similar vehicles and have never experienced this before. As Mikegjax said Forester River does not change the side mirrors from those which come with the chassis from Mercedes Benz. These mirrors are inadequate for the widened body installed IMHO.
I would like to find a mirror that extends out more or a way to extend the factory mirrors.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

I have a 2017 MBS 2400WS and the only time I am unable to see a vehicle behind the trailer I am pulling is if they are so close that they don't belong there in the first place. Here in Michigan we run across quite a few econoboxes who will try and draft you to save on even more fuel. The solution, SLOW DOWN, they will pass.

The main drivers mirror is fine for seeing anything more than three car lengths back, if adjusted properly. The convex mirrors below it will pretty much cover anything alongside you.
The main passenger mirror is another story all together though, but only due to the roll up canopy arm. I suppose if you wanted to live without a canopy, you could get a better view from it.. the solution to the lack of view on the passanger side, stay in the right lane unless passing.

What really amazes me is how so many say FR should do this, or MB should do that... How much extra are YOU willing to pay for THIS or THAT. If you want motorized extendable mirrors like the ones that are available AS AN OPTION on pickup trucks, go to a truck accessory store and have them installed.

Problem solved.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior

As I see it the drivers mirror does not allow me to see anything 3 car lengths behind unless perhaps I adjust the mirror so I half of the view is of the side of my motor home. After 4500 miles of driving I have been surprised on several occasions when suddenly someone blows by that I have seen before even though I have been regularly watching the mirrors and camera monitor (about every 15 seconds)
Old 07-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
Senior

Also I have reservations that a mirror designed for for a Ford, Chevy or Dodge could simply be used on a Sprinter.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #9

I really like this forum … I am getting ready to purchase a Sprinter motorhome. I am learning so much here. This forum is great and folks are so helpful. Perhaps an additional rear-view camera (wireless?) aimed such that it provide the desired view. That might be cheaper and easier than changing or modifying the mirrors.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #10

Here's a thread on the curb side mirror:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ror-69916.html
(Which should, of course, be "rear view" rather than "review"!)

Dave