Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #1

Refrigerator

Solera 24r ,. Do I keep the propane feed on while underway to maintain refrigerator or will it run off of house batteries?
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #2

If i'm not mistaken your Solera has a Dometic fridge, It will not run on the batteries alone. so if you don't have your generator running (110V) and if the fridge is in auto it will switch to propane automatically with the loss of 110V power. If you want the fridge to run you have to leave the propane on.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

X2 on the propane left on.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #4

Just to let you know, that fridge is duel fuel. 120v electric is used to heat the ammonia on shore power and propane heats it when no 120v or in flight obviously. Bats do not heat, they do however run the fridge electronics. Hope that helps.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
2012 Solera

While "Still Kickin" is absolutely correct wrt the power used to heat the ammonia for the cooling loop, the fridge also needs 12 volts for its control circuits. Won't run with the 12 volt cutoff switch turned off.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #6

That's what Still Kickin' said - batts. needed to run the electronics. I guess the clarification - just to be clear... - is that the 12V circuit must be on for DC power to the refrig control circuitry, whether running on shore power or propane. DC power is always needed for the refrig.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 AM   #7

I pretty much knew that. However, that leaves another problem. Can you legally run with the propane feeding? Is it 100% safe to run with the feed on? I'v been checked at different bridge and tunnel entrances. Nothing like reaching your camp and discovering that you forgot to turn on the propane, Only the Brits enjoy warm beer.
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
I pretty much knew that. However, that leaves another problem. Can you legally run with the propane feeding? Is it 100% safe to run with the feed on? I'v been checked at different bridge and tunnel entrances. Nothing like reaching your camp and discovering that you forgot to turn on the propane, Only the Brits enjoy warm beer.

I'm not aware of any states that prohibit it, but others can speak up if they do. As far as bridges and tunnels there are thousands of them. Some prohibit propane tanks period, requiring a bypass route, but most of those permit RV size tanks. Some may require gas off, but you will have to check specific tunnels (mainly) for their requirement. Sorry, it's just too big a question nationally.

Here are some examples:

http://www.cbbt.com/travel-informati...s-regulations/

http://www.panynj.gov/truckers-resources/

http://goldengatebridge.org/tolls_tr...strictions.php
(personally I don't think an RV would be deemed a vehicle transporting hazardous cargo...)

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #9

I got this tip off of one of the forums, but can't remember which one. We run the fridge for a day before leaving for a trip. While we're on the road we shut the fridge off and load it up with five or six freezer packs. They keep the fridge cold all day while we're traveling. When we get to a CG and hook up to shore power, we put the freezer packs up in the freezer. They freeze up over night and we just move them back to the fridge the next morning before we take off. haven't had to use the fridge off of propane yet ..... probably will when we go boon-docking.
rkreusel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #10

We traveled for 11 weeks across Canada and the US. We left refer set to auto at all times which switched it to propane when we were not on shore power.

(I did switch the refer to off when refueling to prevent the igniter from firing while at the pumps)

Propane use was quite minimal.

Took a ferry across lake Michigan and that was the only time that I actual shut the propane off at the tank.

FWIW
Old 07-22-2016, 05:38 AM   #11

x2 to cousin01
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
2010 Forest River Solera

Fridge not cold enough on LP

I have Good Sam Bumper-to-bumper extended warranty coverage.
My fridge is not cooling to a food-safe temperature when only on LP. OK on electric 110. Bought a temperature gauge for refers, and it shows lowest temp is 50 degrees F.
Anybody have any experience with this issue - and if so, please advise.

Ron, Debra & Foxy
2010 Forest River Solera - Diesel
Ron, Debra & Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #13

Sounds like a gas burner problem, doesn't it. How is your LP supply?

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 19; RV to date: 22
Old 08-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron, Debra & Foxy View Post
I have Good Sam Bumper-to-bumper extended warranty coverage.
My fridge is not cooling to a food-safe temperature when only on LP. OK on electric 110. Bought a temperature gauge for refers, and it shows lowest temp is 50 degrees F.
Anybody have any experience with this issue - and if so, please advise.
That is sort of a surprise, most times the frig will cool better on propane, If you have the warranty why not use it with the fridge.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #15

For you Good Sam members, if you use their Trip Planner on their website it will let you know what propane restrictions you may encounter along the way.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
2010 Forest River Solera

BTW - Freezer is fine on LP and 110...... just the fridge too warm on LP

Ron, Debra & Foxy
Old 08-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #17

Quote:
BTW - Freezer is fine on LP and 110...... just the fridge too warm on LP
Oh that changes everything. Do you know how to adjust the thermostat (actually a temperature sensor)?

Also what RV do you have and what brand refrig (also model # if you can get it - on label inside the door)?
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
2010 Forest River Solera

Fridge sensor

Yes. Checked to make sure the thermostat sensor is tucked into its little holder and not flopping around. Got plenty of LP gas, too.

Ron, Debra & Foxy
Old 08-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes. Checked to make sure the thermostat sensor is tucked into its little holder and not flopping around. Got plenty of LP gas, too.
Is it up at the very top of the refrig, as high as it will go? Also check and see if you can (gently) pull out a bit more wire for it from the wall to get it higher.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:39 AM   #20
2010 Forest River Solera

Yes, its high as possible - here is the repair story so far

So, I go to the (unnamed, so far) dealer of Forest River MBS products, and the first smokescreen I get is that it needs a maintenance, and that it was a 95 degree day, yesterday when I brought it in - as an excuse. The problem, I explained, became first noticed last weekend while in 60-70 degree temps - and the problem duplicated itself Wednesday after being parked since the weekend.

Then, upon further pressing - he did get it into a service tech immediately, who then discussed how it could take 6 hours on propane to get cool enough, and that it is behaving as expected..... it may be technically true, but excuse me?

This is a human health and food safety issue. We have acceptable and un-acceptable standards for this topic.

For instance, if a restaurant's refers are not maintaining a 'spoil-safe' temperature range - they get cited and can be shut down by health department, until all food is destroyed and can demonstrate adequate cooling.
( I think, not sure - but the range is below 43 degrees - but check that out)

In that industry - that is a "All Hands On Deck" emergency putting their customers and their business activity at risk. They get on it, pronto.

Point is, it ain't to bright to be making excuses for a product performance that can cause illness, and is unsafe for consumers. This fridge cannot be used for its purpose - to keep food cold enough to be safe. Period. It is useless.

They said they have to keep it for a few days, then can order the replacement cooling unit, or fridge....... And cannot get it into the shop until about 6 weeks from now. Also, when these cooling units go out, they can fail intermittently, and may not replicate the problem in the shop....

Many people who use Forest River (and Dometic) products are senior citizens, of which I am a cranky one today. Great idea - let's get sloppy with food safety issues in the servicing of those products, and our customers. (not really that funny)

Top it off with the fact that the service mgr whined about having to go through a process to get approval from Good Sam for the Extended Warranty coverage, like it was just too much effort. Luckily, I had the mfg spec sheet with parts numbers, or I don't think he would have done anything. I had to ask him to call Good Sam and get approval, which he did when pressed.

I wonder how many people get sick from food that has not been kept safe due to malfunctioning refers and cooling units.....

Any lawyers want to weigh in?

At the very least, Dometic should train authorized service center techs better about the core purpose of the product and the ramifications of food being kept at 50 degrees and higher - rather than make excuses for malfunction.

I think I'll make some egg-salad sandwiches and hamburgers and treat the service mgr and shop tech to lunch today.

I bought a bag of ice, and put it in the fridge yesterday and this morning, the outside temp is 60 degrees, and my fridge went down to 45 degrees.

Is it safe to eat my eggs, and bacon, hamburger and pork chops ? - and is my mayo good for sandwiches at lunch?

Any food service professionals want to weigh in?

Ron, Debra & Foxy

Tags
refrigerator