Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 404
refrigerator

I s there any way to get a new MBS MH with a 2 or 3 way fridge? I really like the LP option for National and Forest park Boondocking!
__________________
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,739
Most come with 2 way. They run on shore power or RV batteries and LP. The control board is DC. If you have a residential frig, it would be AC.
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 404
I do not find one online.. not the new model year. only 12v.....
__________________
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,739
https://www.rvpartscountry.com/DometicRefrigerators

This site has different brands just for reference. Will give you an idea of what's out there. Dometic has 2 ways.
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Team
 
RedLdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
I s there any way to get a new MBS MH with a 2 or 3 way fridge? I really like the LP option for National and Forest park Boondocking!

Ask the question in the Sunseeker / Forester or the Dynamax forum depending on what you're considering. Then either Kary Katz or Brian Clemens should see it and respond. To my knowledge only the 12VDC refrigerator is offered in the Sunseeker / Forester MBS units.
__________________
Wayne and Christine
2022 Sunseeker TS2380AFT On Order


RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #6
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 26,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Ask the question in the Sunseeker / Forester or the Dynamax forum depending on what you're considering. Then either Kary Katz or Brian Clemens should see it and respond. To my knowledge only the 12VDC refrigerator is offered in the Sunseeker / Forester MBS units.
Or send a PM to either of them.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:23 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 334
Jayco still uses the 2 way fridge.
__________________
Les & Heidi Kramer
2021 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Olmsted Township, OH
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 404
well I did try to contact the reps... but I have no hope.
I am kind of speechless why they made that change - that is an absolute deal breaker for me. Imagine you are 2 weeks in a National park with your coach sitting in the shade, you are sitting in a no generator zone..... and even if you could run the generator 4hrs a day how long is your Lp going to last?
Think about all those beautiful National Parks, those National Forest parks without hookup - no more possible.
What is the reason for changing to 12v only? Is there a shortage of 2way fridges, blame covid again? Or is it to save money?

I really hope Forest River is changing that design!
Hans
__________________
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 890
"and even if you could run the generator 4hrs a day how long is your Lp going to last?"

A newer gas fridge is quire efficient , in modest weather the std BBQ bottle will go 20 to 30 days.

The modern fridges do require some DC to light the propane flame, but its not much a solar panel will easily make it up.

The older simpler RV fridges had to be lit with a push button , and would keep a pilot light lit while in operation,

Simpler , but less safe as you had to remember to turn off the fridge entering a gas station. More modern units shut off the fridge for 20 min when you turn off the engine.

Propane is a delight , unlimited camping sans electric , except for radios , lights , and fans., water pump,etc.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 404
FFred,
I agree with you 100%. But I am not talking about the battery drainage from a LP fridge -that is negligible. If the new units still would have the Lp / 110v option I would jump on it immediately.
I think you are not aware that a new Forester / Sunseeker comes with a 12v ONLY refrigerator and a 100W solar panel - which in the best circumstance will not keep you from running down you battery within 2 days without Generator!
__________________
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 404
Is there anybody around with a Forester / Sunseeker and a 12 v fridge who can share his experience ? How long does the coach battery hold up without external power?
__________________
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
Is there anybody around with a Forester / Sunseeker and a 12 v fridge who can share his experience ? How long does the coach battery hold up without external power?


I have a 2020 Forester MBS with 180ah Lithium battery and in my driveway the fridge will run for approximately 36hrs and battery will show about 25% SOC on victron meter… with standard group 27 which came with the rig it barely made overnight before battery hit 50% SOC.
papagyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:04 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 404
thanks for the reply!
And did the battery recharge during the day then, and to what level?
Do you think it would be possible to go to a National park - no electric hookup for 7+ days????
__________________
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:44 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
I s there any way to get a new MBS MH with a 2 or 3 way fridge? I really like the LP option for National and Forest park Boondocking!
Back to the original question, the current Forest River, Inc web site for Coachmen Prism MBS motorhomes shows an exterior view with roof and wall venting for an AC/propane type refrigerator. This may an option for you. FR brochures are well known to contain errors and misleading past model year photographs, so proceed with skepticism. However it looks like Coachmen may offer what you want. https://coachmenrv.com/class-c-motorhomes/prism

The 2022 Jayco Melbourne specs a Gas/AC refrigerator. https://www.jayco.com/rvs/class-c-mo...022-melbourne/

Dynamx ISATA 3 web page currently shows a gas/AC refrigerator, but I avoided them in the past due to lacking and unusable interior cabinetry designs.

Tiffin’s Wayfarer has an optional gas/electric refrigerator, but it’s small at only 5 cubic feet.

Thor build quality is typically poor, from my observations, so I don’t consider their products as viable options.

FR’s Forester/Sunseeker/Solera, and Winnebago’s View/Navion have apparently gone to 12 volt only refrigerators. There is no way I would go with the 12 volt only ‘fridge for the type of camping we do, which is typically forest camping in dense shade, where solar power would be nearly useless.
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS on 2019 Ford E-450, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 404
BehindBars, thank you for the advice and links. The local dealer swears with a 100W solar panel and the 12V fridge you can go indefinitely; on a cloudy day you might have to run the engine or generator for 30Min to 1 hr. !!!! No way in my opinion...
The other options are not promising either. The Melbourne 24l is missing a lot of features, like side view cameras, very little and small outside storage, missing the 2 drawers in the dinette... Melbourne Prestige not available and yhey increased the price to 180K!
The prism looked very promising, nice design, but: Cabover bed is small - I can live with that. But the one I was looking at had a ccc of 790 lbs - thats a deal killer.
It looks like my options boil down to airbnb and tenting. It would be so great if Forest river had an option to upgrade to LP fridge, and if not they lost me as a customer!
Hans
__________________
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:56 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
BehindBars, thank you for the advice and links. The local dealer swears with a 100W solar panel and the 12V fridge you can go indefinitely; on a cloudy day you might have to run the engine or generator for 30Min to 1 hr. !!!! No way in my opinion...
The other options are not promising either. The Melbourne 24l is missing a lot of features, like side view cameras, very little and small outside storage, missing the 2 drawers in the dinette... Melbourne Prestige not available and yhey increased the price to 180K!
The prism looked very promising, nice design, but: Cabover bed is small - I can live with that. But the one I was looking at had a ccc of 790 lbs - thats a deal killer.
It looks like my options boil down to airbnb and tenting. It would be so great if Forest river had an option to upgrade to LP fridge, and if not they lost me as a customer!
Hans
Your signature shows a Forester 2401. Maybe the one you already own is the best one to have/keep. The latest Forest River class C motorhome models have undergone cost cutting and cheapening in many areas. Motorhome models from the past decade may be well worth hanging on to.
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS on 2019 Ford E-450, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
well I did try to contact the reps... but I have no hope.
I am kind of speechless why they made that change - that is an absolute deal breaker for me. Imagine you are 2 weeks in a National park with your coach sitting in the shade, you are sitting in a no generator zone..... and even if you could run the generator 4hrs a day how long is your Lp going to last?
Think about all those beautiful National Parks, those National Forest parks without hookup - no more possible.
What is the reason for changing to 12v only? Is there a shortage of 2way fridges, blame covid again? Or is it to save money?

I really hope Forest River is changing that design!
Hans
Forest River class C changed to 12 volt only refrigerators in the Forester/Sunseeker Classic line on build dates happening around September, 2019. Based on that timing, the change is obviously not related to Covid-19. Saving money (for the company, not the buyer) on the refrigerator and it’s installation cost would seem to be the motivation. No exterior roof and wall vent, no LP piping, no AC outlet, cheaper refrigerator.

Newcomers to the RV world would probably not realize the limitations of 12 volt only refrigerators until they have already bought the RV.
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS on 2019 Ford E-450, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 404
yes, I agree
__________________
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:32 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 890
The big hassle with solar is you have to park in direct sunshine or the output is very low. A UGH summer option.


I would NOT purchase a RV unless it had propane for the reefer.

12V just doesn't cut it for extended living off grid.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Loefflerh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naples Fl
Posts: 404
Found that, posted by Jayco: https://www.jayco.com/uploads/articl...ar-image-1.png

according to this you need a minimum of 300Watts of Solar and 4- 6 Batteries for our small class c..
Yep, that makes sense - but not 100W and 2 batteries! And I would not know where to install 6 batteries, nor 300 Watt Solar!
Hans
__________________
Retired military
Solera 24R Mar 2013 -Jun 2016
Forester 2401 Aug 2016 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refrigerator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.