Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #1
Bilmet01

Replacing Original Inner Dually Wheel Valve Stem Extensionrs

Hello. I recently lost my left rear simulator on the way home from a trip in late September ( had no zip ties on ) and soon after realized I could not check/add air in my inner dually at end of my factory supplied extensions.

So brought RV to my local tire shop to see what they thought and tech ( after removing outer dually ) confirmed that the OEM extensions in place was not working he removed it for me. This extension had metal tube inside which I have read would be "airless" and explains why no loss of air in my inside dually tire. It also includes a 2 in 45 degree metal extension attached after rubber stabilizer to allow access thru simulator ( see pics ). I do not even understand how it can work with the metal extension attached to end of the airless extension?

Tire place recommended going to nearby RV dealer for replacement ( Camping World ) but they were no help. ☹

I intend to eventually install Borg dually steel valve stem kit ( as recommended in these forums ) once I buy new tires but hoping for a temp solution in mean time to get back to what I have for other inner dually for now. Also, not worrying about getting new simulator for now as would make getting to inner valve stem even tougher.

I searched online for similar "airless" extensions but only seeing Air-Flex extensions at myerstiresupply.com with similar length but not sure if that that is the way to go?

Wondering if any Forrester / Sunseeker MBS owners have replaced the OEM set up by Forest River ( without going the Borg metal stems route ) and, if so, what and where you got the replacements from.

Also wondering if newer model MBS owners are actually getting a different OEM set up on your duallys? I have not seen any in stock at my local Camping World to check for myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve extender.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	266535   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve extender 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	266536   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve extender 3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	266537  
Old 12-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #2

Go with Borg steel valves. I purchased from https://yourtireshopsupply.com/page/...ve-information and had a local tire shop do the installation.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Bilmet01

Thanks CharSolera. As I mentioned, that is my intent to install the Borg Duallyvalves once I get new tires but was looking for the best alternative until then.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:59 AM   #4

Also wondering if newer model MBS owners are actually getting a different OEM set up on your duallys? I have not seen any in stock at my local Camping World to check for myself.[/QUOTE]

From your photos, it looks like the simulator is touching the stem. The vibration of the simulator can cause wear-through of the stem and air loss.

I had to reposition the simulators and I also covered the stem with 3/8 clear plastic tubing.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #5

Just had these valves installed on my Ford Transit chassis. Cost me $175.00 but worth every penny when trying to pu in air or checking tires.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #6

bilmet01, why wait? The valves can easily be moved to the new tires.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #7

Tire valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmet01 View Post
Hello. I recently lost my left rear simulator on the way home from a trip in late September ( had no zip ties on ) and soon after realized I could not check/add air in my inner dually at end of my factory supplied extensions.

So brought RV to my local tire shop to see what they thought and tech ( after removing outer dually ) confirmed that the OEM extensions in place was not working he removed it for me. This extension had metal tube inside which I have read would be "airless" and explains why no loss of air in my inside dually tire. It also includes a 2 in 45 degree metal extension attached after rubber stabilizer to allow access thru simulator ( see pics ). I do not even understand how it can work with the metal extension attached to end of the airless extension?

Tire place recommended going to nearby RV dealer for replacement ( Camping World ) but they were no help. ☹

I intend to eventually install Borg dually steel valve stem kit ( as recommended in these forums ) once I buy new tires but hoping for a temp solution in mean time to get back to what I have for other inner dually for now. Also, not worrying about getting new simulator for now as would make getting to inner valve stem even tougher.

I searched online for similar "airless" extensions but only seeing Air-Flex extensions at myerstiresupply.com with similar length but not sure if that that is the way to go?

Wondering if any Forrester / Sunseeker MBS owners have replaced the OEM set up by Forest River ( without going the Borg metal stems route ) and, if so, what and where you got the replacements from.

Also wondering if newer model MBS owners are actually getting a different OEM set up on your duallys? I have not seen any in stock at my local Camping World to check for myself.
Can someone explain WHY there hasn't been a class action lawsuit over these Lippert wheel covers ? I lost a left front (with 2 wire ties) on the interstate in Madison Wisconsin. Could have killed someone. I have herd many people with similar situations. Very bad product !!!
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
Bilmet01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
From your photos, it looks like the simulator is touching the stem. The vibration of the simulator can cause wear-through of the stem and air loss.

I had to reposition the simulators and I also covered the stem with 3/8 clear plastic tubing.[/QUOTE]

I am trying to find out what the latest MBS models have installed for extenders. Contacted Forest River rep but he could only supply email contacts of all my local dealers and said would need to talk to them. I had already talked to nearest dealer ( Camping World ) but they were no help and did not have any MBSs in stock to check out myself. Hoping another dealer can help. 🤞
Old 12-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #9

I have had soooo many problems over the years with my 2014 Solera dually’s. Adding air is ridiculous! I had the stainless extensions added, tire techs have put them on but are still very hard to reach(wheel simulators not in alignment.) Newbies at tire shops have let my air out, damaged valve stems, lost a cover before……. Just this week after getting air at Les Schwab, I went home then noticed the front wheel simulator was 1/2 off!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve, wheel