Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #1

Shunt Mounting

I searched but did not find something for the MBS chassis..

Looking at the Victron BMV-712. Interested in seeing what others have done for both the shunt and mounting the display.

I'm thinking that the display should mount near the awning switch, meaning we'd use the bluetooth display mostly. To hard to run wires elsewhere.

Pictures of both would be great!

Thanks, Bill
Old 06-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #2

First, I couldn't be happier with my BMV-712 (had to beat Titan Mike to the endorsement commission!!)
Second, don't worry about the display, you get everything you need and more through the Bluetooth app. A number of us have literally stuck the display in a zip lock bag and left it tied up under the chassis somewhere. I would suggest doing that for your first couple of trips and see if the app works for you (ummm, spoiler alert, it will . . . ). You can always hook up the display later if you really want to.
The shunt just gets mounted near the negative most terminal of your house battery/batteries. I just mounted it with two self-tapping screws to the side of my battery bay. You will need to purchase a short battery cable to go from the negative battery terminal to the shunt (just match the guage of your other cables and you should be fine). EVRYTHING that was previously connected to your negative battery terminal now gets connected to the load side of the shunt. Very easy install.
There are numerous other posts on the Forum about other aspects of the BMV-712, so hit the search button and see what others experiences have been.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

Shunt, and Victron monitor location

Here's the shunt mounting I made, applicable to BB LiFePO battery upgrade.
Monitor location is where I can see it easily. Victron does sell an electrical box; I probably should have just bought it. I used some wire mold purchased from HomeDepot/Lowes. Painted it black for use in the stairwell.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...cture20785.jpg
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...cture20786.jpg
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...cture20788.jpg
Old 06-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
First, I couldn't be happier with my BMV-712 (had to beat Titan Mike to the endorsement commission!!)
Second, don't worry about the display, you get everything you need and more through the Bluetooth app. A number of us have literally stuck the display in a zip lock bag and left it tied up under the chassis somewhere. I would suggest doing that for your first couple of trips and see if the app works for you (ummm, spoiler alert, it will . . . ). You can always hook up the display later if you really want to.
The shunt just gets mounted near the negative most terminal of your house battery/batteries. I just mounted it with two self-tapping screws to the side of my battery bay. You will need to purchase a short battery cable to go from the negative battery terminal to the shunt (just match the guage of your other cables and you should be fine). EVRYTHING that was previously connected to your negative battery terminal now gets connected to the load side of the shunt. Very easy install.
There are numerous other posts on the Forum about other aspects of the BMV-712, so hit the search button and see what others experiences have been.

If you want to save the cost of a battery cable consider just using a piece of refrigeration copper tubing. Hammer flat and drill holes in the ends. The copper can then actually support the shunt by one end if close to the battery.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount