Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #1

side view camera to monitor

as some of you know, when FR put the awning on the side of the MBS it blocks 1/2 of what you can see in Right side rear view mirror. Makes the mirror useless.

I think I read about someone here added a small 12v monitor to the RS dash and hooked the RS side-view camera to this monitor.
I know how to get the camera feed, but not sure if I can "split" this feed with 1 going to dash stereo and 1 going to this additional dash mounted monitor but the idea here is to have this monitor come on when I start the RV and have it show the Passenger side side-view camera all the time to supplement the blocked rear view mirror.

And does anybody else have the problem with these mirrors that it seems impossible to clean off this white film on the glass from water running off the roof. (and is it even glass as mine is scratched up real bad).
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
oreddie

No Side Camera?

Can you clarify a bit? My 2017 FR MBS came with side cameras that activate to the display in the dash whenever I use the left or right turn signal.

Sadly I can't offer advice if your rig doesn't have that feature.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #3

Yes I have that feature but it only workes on radio when RS turn signal is on. Put it in reverse and rear view camera over rides what you see in radio.

My problem is the view in my real rear view mirror on passenger side is almost useless because the awning arm blocks half the view.

I want to mount a monitor on rs of dash and display RS camera on that monitor full time as a driving aid.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

Not sure exactly what you're trying to do. If you just want the right side camera to go to it's own monitor, that shouldn't be difficult - disconnect the cable from the combiner box (probably under far left (driver's) side of dash or in the panel to the left of that), hook it to an extension cable, and run it to your new monitor.

It's likely more difficult if you want to hook it up so it's full time on the second monitor, but shows up on the main screen when the right turn signal is on. You could perhaps splice a splitter of some kind between the camera and the combiner box. I don't know enough about video signals to know if a simple Y cable is sufficient, but it might be.

In either case you're likely to need some sort of adapter to go between the camera's cable and the new monitor's cable. If FR is still using Rear View Safety cameras, RVS has a bunch of adapters here:
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet.../adapters.html
All in all, you should be able to make something work, but it will take some extra bits and pieces.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 01-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
oreddie

Low Tech Solution

Have you considered something like https://www.amazon.com/Motorup-Ameri...pe=automotive?

The seller reports it fits Sprinter 3500 mirror. I have no experience with it; it looks like it sticks out too far. But it might be a low tech and less expensive solution.

Cheers!
Old 01-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #6

Name:   20200125_105115.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  28.3 KB
I agree with the awning bar limiting view. What I did is to replace the stock Sony radio and added a camera monitor to the overhead. The monitor is on a swivel and is like a rear view mirror and more visible that the monitor in the radio. When preparing to turn right or left I monitor the camera before signaling. The view can also be switched to the right or left without using the turn signal. The right side camera is located below the awning bar and gives a good view.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
Senior

I agree the right mirror is nearly useless being blocked at the awning arms. I like your idea of using the camera with an additional monitor to view the curb side of the motorhome. I also like that the Dynamax version has an armless awning but don't want to spend the money to make that mod.

I have thought about having a spacer for the mirror made with a 3D printer to provide a unobstructed view of that side of the vehicle but never followed through.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:29 PM   #8

myclmac: looks great.
I know my 3 cameras already go into a box that switches them to 1 output
and this switch is triggered by L and R turn signal switch feed as well as reverse light input I think. with a monitor in center like this I could give up radio screen and use only monitor and pivot it to lessen glare on screen.

This would leave radio for stuff like Android audio, waze, google maps and Sirius emblem art work

Do you switch the outside cameras up to this screen one at a time? or do you have all 3 on screen at once? I am thinking I would do one at a time, center on normal, maybe even leave it so turn signals still control which camera feed is active. But I would disconnect the reverse light input which forces center camera to be active camera always when backing up (I want to be able to switch cameras backing up also)

is it easy to dim the monitor for night time driving?
what size is your monitor? got any online links to what you used?
Old 02-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #9

sure wish I could find myclmac
I sent PM.

Is there anything special about this monitor your using? what size? I am thinking 10". Is the camera display correct or is it flipped left to right?

Tags
camera