Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #1

Slightly low on oil

Hi,
Our 2017 Sunseeker MBS only has 3,000 miles and isn't a year old. It is slightly low on oil. Is this common? Also, should we have oil change since it has been sitting over winter, and what type of oil should we use for 2017 MBS?
Thanks in advance!
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker56 View Post
Hi,
Our 2017 Sunseeker MBS only has 3,000 miles and isn't a year old. It is slightly low on oil. Is this common? Also, should we have oil change since it has been sitting over winter, and what type of oil should we use for 2017 MBS?
Thanks in advance!
that information is in your owners manual. But no you don't have to drain because it was sitting during the winter.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
that information is in your owners manual. But no you don't have to drain because it was sitting during the winter.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi,
I think it's a bit uncommon that you're low on oil...how low is it?

On the oil change interval... The Sprinter dash display will let you know when it thinks you need to change the oil. It keeps track of both time and distance - many of us run out of time before we put in the distance.

They've changed the interval a couple of times. It's at least 1 year or 10,000 miles and I think it might be as much as 2 years or 20,000 miles on your unit. It might be less.

Dave
Old 04-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I think it's a bit uncommon that you're low on oil...how low is it?

On the oil change interval... The Sprinter dash display will let you know when it thinks you need to change the oil. It keeps track of both time and distance - many of us run out of time before we put in the distance.

They've changed the interval a couple of times. It's at least 1 year or 10,000 miles and I think it might be as much as 2 years or 20,000 miles on your unit. It might be less.

Dave

Thanks! It is just slightly low. I guess we will fill it to full and see if it goes down again. Wonder if there is a way to test to see if there is a problem.
Thanks
Old 04-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Be careful! Don't just add any oil -
Mercedes requires use of their spec oil - check you owner's manual, but I suspect you need to use Mercedes Spec 229.52 compliant oil.
Our MB Sprinter warns on both low and high oil level. One time immediately after an oil change, driving in desert hot conditions, I got a dash warning. Too high an oil level! Just over the mark. I suspect the service facility filled to the full line - and the oil slightly expanded when hot - triggering the dash warning light.
I find the vehicle uses about a quart every 8000 to 10000 miles. Occasionally have to add some (typically a pint) between 10,000 mile oil changes (per owner's manual and vehicle computer for our 2012 Sprinter). When I do add oil, I target the middle of the marks on the stick - to avoid the "over full " warning.
The vehicle also does a periodic exhaust particulate filter clean cycle. As I understand it, the vehicle adds diesel fuel during this cycle to heat the particulate filter to very high temperatures to burn off any deposits- sort of like a self-cleaning oven. Some of the excess diesel apparently can get into the oil - where it should evaporate out at normal engine operating temperatures. (Supposedly biodiesel doesn't evaporate out as well, hence the B5 max restriction by Mercedes). Leaving room for the temporary dilution by diesel is another reason not to fill the oil to the max line, in my opinion.
I use the dash display (can check easily while starting the engine - see you owner's manual) and don't add oil until it tells me it is low. I carry a quart or two of the proper Mercedes spec oil with me, as it can be hard to find on the road.

FYI - my experience and thoughts -
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks! It is just slightly low. I guess we will fill it to full and see if it goes down again. Wonder if there is a way to test to see if there is a problem.
Thanks
I think they were trying to get some actual reference to how low it was, so far all you've said is that it's "low." Where is the oil on the dipstick that makes you say it's low? Just saying it's low doesn't help us understand what the reading actually is.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #8

Some of the excess diesel apparently can get into the oil - where it should evaporate out at normal engine operating temperatures. (Supposedly biodiesel doesn't evaporate out as well, hence the B5 max restriction by Mercedes). Leaving room for the temporary dilution by diesel is another FYI - my experience and thoughts -
Jim[/QUOTE]

Work as a diesel tech so the aftertreatment system does inject diesel to burn off the soot, but this is down stream of the engine and does not enter the crankcase. If, however, your oil level rises then have it checked for fuel dilution.
3000 miles is not many miles, still breaking in, but being in the engine for a year, must have short trips, I would have it changed.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks in advance!
I have decided to change my oil every year at about 12K miles. I will let the dealer do it for the first couple changes as I have my Diesel Fuel Filter changed at one year intervals as per Maintenance Manual. My 2016 is supposed to go to 20K but I don't like to go that long. The MB Dealer puts in Mobil One ESP 0W-30 and that does meet the specs. I have never had to add oil yet but carry a quart just in case. After this year I will do all Maintenance myself.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
Some of the excess diesel apparently can get into the oil - where it should evaporate out at normal engine operating temperatures. (Supposedly biodiesel doesn't evaporate out as well, hence the B5 max restriction by Mercedes). Leaving room for the temporary dilution by diesel is another FYI - my experience and thoughts -
Jim
Work as a diesel tech so the aftertreatment system does inject diesel to burn off the soot, but this is down stream of the engine and does not enter the crankcase. If, however, your oil level rises then have it checked for fuel dilution.
3000 miles is not many miles, still breaking in, but being in the engine for a year, must have short trips, I would have it changed.[/QUOTE]

Sprinters do not have downstream injection, they use a late stroke injection during regeneration and can retain diesel in the crankcase, especially less volatile biodiesel.

To the op, I would be sure to use the check oil system on the dash using the procedure in the manual rather than the dipstick. These sprinters will tell you if you need oil, how much and probably allow for retained diesel after regeneration. Plus once you know the button sequence you will be able to check from in the vehicle. That said, my sprinter runs about a quart low after 10000 miles if I avoid biodiesel.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #11

Thanks! Yes we were checking it on dipstick. I will figure out how to use check oil system. Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post

Mercedes requires use of their spec oil - check you owner's manual, but I suspect you need to use Mercedes Spec 229.52 compliant oil.

Our MB Sprinter warns on both low and high oil level. One time immediately after an oil change, driving in desert hot conditions, I got a dash warning. Too high an oil level! Just over the mark. I suspect the service facility filled to the full line - and the oil slightly expanded when hot - triggering the dash warning light.

I find the vehicle uses about a quart every 8000 to 10000 miles. Occasionally have to add some (typically a pint) between 10,000 mile oil changes (per owner's manual and vehicle computer for our 2012 Sprinter). When I do add oil, I target the middle of the marks on the stick - to avoid the "over full " warning.

The vehicle also does a periodic exhaust particulate filter clean cycle. As I understand it, the vehicle adds diesel fuel during this cycle to heat the particulate filter to very high temperatures to burn off any deposits- sort of like a self-cleaning oven. Some of the excess diesel apparently can get into the oil - where it should evaporate out at normal engine operating temperatures. (Supposedly biodiesel doesn't evaporate out as well, hence the B5 max restriction by Mercedes). Leaving room for the temporary dilution by diesel is another reason not to fill the oil to the max line, in my opinion.

I use the dash display (can check easily while starting the engine - see you owner's manual) and don't add oil until it tells me it is low. I carry a quart or two of the proper Mercedes spec oil with me, as it can be hard to find on the road.

Jim

Thanks! Good information. Going to pick up oil at Mercedes dealer tomorrow and extra for the road. We did not get any low oil warning, so maybe it is ok. Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
I have decided to change my oil every year at about 12K miles. I will let the dealer do it for the first couple changes as I have my Diesel Fuel Filter changed at one year intervals as per Maintenance Manual. My 2016 is supposed to go to 20K but I don't like to go that long. The MB Dealer puts in Mobil One ESP 0W-30 and that does meet the specs. I have never had to add oil yet but carry a quart just in case. After this year I will do all Maintenance myself.

Thanks for the info. A year interval sounds like a good plan. Yes, probably a good plan to let them do maintenance until warranty is out!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks

After reading replies, probably need to check the dash readings before we do anything. Thanks for all the responses! Love this site and all the great help!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I think they were trying to get some actual reference to how low it was, so far all you've said is that it's "low." Where is the oil on the dipstick that makes you say it's low? Just saying it's low doesn't help us understand what the reading actually is.

Oil level is closer to full mark, in the acceptable marked area. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #16

Slightly low on oil

Quote:
Oil level is closer to full mark, in the acceptable marked area. Thanks!

As long as it is within the crosshatched section it is fine and is not low. There is no need to top it off until it is below the safe/crosshatched section which represents one quart.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks! Yes we were checking it on dipstick. I will figure out how to use check oil system. Thanks again!
Procedure is in Manual, be sure vehicle is very level when checking.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post

Jim
Jim,
The diesel that leaks past the piston rings during an active regeneration unfortunately does not evaporate. Fuel dilution is is a common problem with vehicles that regenerate by injecting fuel into the exhaust during the exhaust stroke. Interesting fact with direct injection gasoline engines is that they also have problems with gasoline dilution of the oil. I have a DI gasoline engine 2.0T Hyundai that has about 3% fuel dilution at a 5k oil change interval.

The biodiesel limitation is two fold. It can cause engine oil to polymerize if kept at extended oil change intervals and it does not burn as hot during a regeneration which can increase soot loading of the DPF.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
As long as it is within the crosshatched section it is fine and is not low. There is no need to top it off until it is below the safe/crosshatched section which represents one quart.

Thanks, this is all new to us. We were thinking it was low because it always was at the full mark when we checked in the past. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #20

Thanks, it was! Good reminders!

Tags
light