Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #1

Spilled diesel full on driver entry step

Does anyone have a good fix for reattaching the grip stuff on the driver door entry step due to spilling diesel fuel on it? I seem to over full my tank more often than not.
WYOpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #2

Never fill beyond the first click on the auto stop. I tend not to use the truck fill station as they pump very high volume. Clean the step and underside on rubber cover with dish soap and then the rubber cover with acetone to remove the old glue.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOpacker View Post
Does anyone have a good fix for reattaching the grip stuff on the driver door entry step due to spilling diesel fuel on it? I seem to over full my tank more often than not.
I used 3M double sided tape on mine (gray). has worked fine so far.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Not sure why mine loosened, but I cleaned both sides (think I used paint thinner) and glued in place with GOOP. No problems since - couple of years at least.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
Never fill beyond the first click on the auto stop. I tend not to use the truck fill station as they pump very high volume. Clean the step and underside on rubber cover with dish soap and then the rubber cover with acetone to remove the old glue.
The truck pumps work fine if you feather it and don't just pump at full volume.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the replies! I have some double sided tape laying around so will that a try first. Once again Thanks!
WYOpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #7

I did the same thing at a truck stop. I was feathering the pump, maybe too much, because it never shut off. I collected a lot of fuel on the step because mine leans back towards the rv and won't just drain onto the ground. Used a lot of paper towels that day and had to re-glue the pad, used gorilla glue.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #8

I avoid whenever possible the Truck diesel fill...large bore with high flow rate. Better to go to the automotive diesel fill ....smaller fill tube and slower flow rate. Usually less spilled diesel on the ground and cleaner handle..
Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

diesel fueling

With the rig we bought this last yr a 37+ ft lacrosse I prefer the truck diesel,

I carry a pair of rubberized gloves just for the purpose of dirty handles..and if you are paying attention you know before you start how much fuel you can take on.. and Yes if you go to slow the auto-shutoff refuses to work so pay attention..
oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #10

Listen for it to start gurgling, then shut it off. Diesel, especially when filling large volumes, foams. That extra half gallon that you miss out on isn't even noticeable
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

I try to wipe up any diesel or additive spills immediately as the fumes are soooo noxious, I can smell them for hours while driving.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOpacker View Post
The adhesive on the steps' tread will eventually come loose, many times while driving, resulting in the tread being lost.
To prevent this, I put a pan head stainless steel screw through each end of the treads into the fiberglass steps. One screw in each end of the treads, four total screws to do both sides of the cab. My treads were not loose--this was just a preventative measure.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
The adhesive on the steps' tread will eventually come loose, many times while driving, resulting in the tread being lost.

To prevent this, I put a pan head stainless steel screw through each end of the treads into the fiberglass steps. One screw in each end of the treads, four total screws to do both sides of the cab. My treads were not loose--this was just a preventative measure.

I cleaned off the old adhesive then used Crest trim cement that I purchased at an auto parts store. Seem to work fine.

Tags
diesel, led