Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
You go to Autel web site for one free download. The free down load will cover all vehicles under a specific manufacture. Additional manufacturer downloads are $10.00. Instructions come with the unit.
Thanks!
Old 07-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #22

Don't order Autel Diaglink scanner at this time. I am having trouble getting it to link up to the Sprinter. I am currently working with Autel Support to find solution. Will post when I get this issue resolved.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachsailor View Post
Make sure you fill the def to the top. A MB tech explained to me that the def system only resets when you fill the def tank to full.
Not true. Just added 2.5 gals to mine and it reset after one start.
Instead of "Not True" maybe I should say....it reset on mine after adding only 2.5 gals.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Instead of "Not True" maybe I should say....it reset on mine after adding only 2.5 gals.
Well...the one time I tried to add 2.5 gallons...it overflowed. Not sure if they've changed the size of tank, but for my 2015 I buy by the gallon and put in two when the light goes on.

Dave
Old 07-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #25

Sprinter died while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Not true. Just added 2.5 gals to mine and it reset after one start.

The tech (who said when the warning light comes on, you must fill the tank to full) was wrong or maybe giving a shortcut. When the light comes on, you have to add at least 2 gals. for the warning to reset. But then, why not fill it up? The point is, if you add only 1 gal. it will not reset.

From the MBS manual:

If the DEF level has dropped below the reserve range, add at least 2.0 US gal (7.6l) of DEF at the latest after receiving the second warning message.

The DEF capacity of the 3500 model is 4.7 gals.

The approximate mileage for a gallon of DEF per the manual is 1720 mpg, which may vary depending on driving styles and conditions.

For 13K miles over 1-1/2 yrs., I added 2 gals. once on the road from a jug using a funnel (messy), the dealer added a couple of gallons at oil change, and I added 2-3 gals. at a truck stop DEF pump (those are nice!). It could probably use a gallon now. So that's roughly 8 gals. In 13K miles or about 1600 mpg.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #26
2012 Solera

Not sure about the total capacity, but our 2012, as someone stated earlier, won't take a "standard" 2 1/2 gallon def jug when the warning light first comes on. Takes over two gallons, but less than 2 1/2 - overflows with maybe a quart left in the jug.
I carry two single gallon jugs with me - add both if the warning light comes on. The hose from a 2 1/2 gallon jug fits a gallon jug.
As even with two gallons added the warning light is "cranky" about resetting (usually two re-starts, waiting for the dash lights to go out before starting) I try to add based on mileage - the 1700 to 1900 miles per gallon agrees with my experience.
I think the consumption went up after a service some time ago - used to be more like 2000 miles per gallon. Suspect a Mercedes software update. Volkswagen diesel lawsuit reaction?
Now at 88K miles.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Not sure about the total capacity, but our 2012, as someone stated earlier, won't take a "standard" 2 1/2 gallon def jug when the warning light first comes on. Takes over two gallons, but less than 2 1/2 - overflows with maybe a quart left in the jug.

I carry two single gallon jugs with me - add both if the warning light comes on. The hose from a 2 1/2 gallon jug fits a gallon jug.

As even with two gallons added the warning light is "cranky" about resetting (usually two re-starts, waiting for the dash lights to go out before starting) I try to add based on mileage - the 1700 to 1900 miles per gallon agrees with my experience.

I think the consumption went up after a service some time ago - used to be more like 2000 miles per gallon. Suspect a Mercedes software update. Volkswagen diesel lawsuit reaction?

Now at 88K miles.

Interesting. The 2012 DEF capacity may be 3.2, 4.9 or 5.8 gals. depending on model. See page 287 in the manual.

The instructions say to add at least 2 gallons if the SECOND warning signal has occurred. See page 143. It may not take that much if only the first warning has occurred.

There are different instructions for filling the DEF tank depending on whether it is the engine compartment or mounted on the right side of the vehicle frame ("chassis cab only"). See pages 143–144.

https://assets.mbvans.com/Mercedes-B...ors-Manual.pdf