Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

Question Storage bay latches

Just got back from 1st substantial trip in our RV: 1,900 miles in 14 days at 4 diff RV parks (AZ, TX & NM). Things went better than I expected given my rookie status, but something that plagued & irritated me was the balky ops of the storage bay latches. They didn't operate smoothly at all, the lock mechanism is incredibly cheap, and both the locks & latches worked intermittently at best.

So I'm thinking I'd like to replace them with a higher quality latch/lock, but I'm not seeing anything 2401-specific in my searches. Any suggestions?
the1murphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #2

I have the same problems on my 2016 Sunseeker MBS. I've been to the dealer twice to have them cleaned and adjusted but the problem still nags me. Once they had to drill one of the locks out because it would not open. So far I have not found an exact replacement that fits the existing holes in the doors. They really are junk and I'm surprised more folks aren't complaining.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #3

Solution; you will notice that some latches work better than others. Upon close disassembled examination, the stamped internal metal piece varies in the problematic latches. You need to explain that to your dealer and convince them to order several replacement latches for swap out. Do it under warranty. As a convincing step, dare them to "temporarily " swap a smooth working latch off one on their lot as proof. It's all about the convincing to a dealer. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #4

They are poorly made

This was one of my gripes to the dealer when under warranty. They could not duplicate the issue so nothing got fixed. I called the tech rep for the door and latch manufacturer but they wouldn't call me back.

I know this doesn't help but I'm another MBS owner with this issue.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:18 PM   #5

I just picked up a small Clipper 17FQ a couple of weeks ago and I thought I'd never be able to get the key into either of the locking latches. Bugged the heck out of me. I've ordered some dry lock lube spray and will see if that works but if not I'm also going to be in the market for some replacements.

In my case, they are very similar to cabinet drawer locks like these:

Keyed Camlock
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #6

Major issue with mine too - very cheap hardware. About 1/3 of them do not work.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

Everyone says they are having problems but no one says what the problems are. We had some problem with not closing easily and sticking when trying to open. It was solved with a squirt of WD-40. Other problems?

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-22-2016, 04:26 AM   #8

My problem was sticking when trying to open. They close fine and stay closed. Locks seem to work fine for now although they don't seem to be built to last.

2014 Honda CRV
Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #9

- Sticking - spray silicone did not help
- some installed out of line catch doesn't catch
- long term do not see cheap plastic holding up.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

Hardware, Locks, Handles, Props, Storage - PPL Motor Homes

not sure if this is what your looking for, don't know about their quality
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

ebay has some for sale

rv storage locks | eBay
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #12

Storage bay latches

I'm the guy who started the thread; posting update.

As always, thanx for all the replies. I can see it's a problem I share with others. My specific problems are 1) locks don't engage/disengage smoothly & out-right fail to unlock occasionally; 2) the paddle oftentimes doesn't move the interior latch far enough for the door to open; and 3) twice now (in two weeks) the door outright wouldn't open because the latch wouldn't travel far enough to clear the holding mechanism.

Yes, I get it that I can remove & clean the mechanism and then lube with silicon. Yes, that works temporarily. But my specific question was about replacing, not repairing. So that's what I'm focused on. Not spraying more lube every couple of weeks.

Here's what I've found so far. I found a couple of latch/lock manufacturers (RVdesigner.com & trimark). Of course I would rather tell them "I have a 2016 2401S & want locks." But those manufacturers don't tag latches/locks by what RV models they work with. They can provide detailed schematics with measurements, but it's the buyers responsibility to do the measurements & figure out which model to order. I'll take that on as I have more time over the next few weeks & will post an update when I find a suitable replacement. If anyone else has run this trail already, jump in.
the1murphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1murphman View Post
I'm the guy who started the thread; posting update.

As always, thanx for all the replies. I can see it's a problem I share with others. My specific problems are 1) locks don't engage/disengage smoothly & out-right fail to unlock occasionally; 2) the paddle oftentimes doesn't move the interior latch far enough for the door to open; and 3) twice now (in two weeks) the door outright wouldn't open because the latch wouldn't travel far enough to clear the holding mechanism.

Yes, I get it that I can remove & clean the mechanism and then lube with silicon. Yes, that works temporarily. But my specific question was about replacing, not repairing. So that's what I'm focused on. Not spraying more lube every couple of weeks.

Here's what I've found so far. I found a couple of latch/lock manufacturers (RVdesigner.com & trimark). Of course I would rather tell them "I have a 2016 2401S & want locks." But those manufacturers don't tag latches/locks by what RV models they work with. They can provide detailed schematics with measurements, but it's the buyers responsibility to do the measurements & figure out which model to order. I'll take that on as I have more time over the next few weeks & will post an update when I find a suitable replacement. If anyone else has run this trail already, jump in.
Sometimes the conversation wanders a bit, but this is all good discussion. I've been looking for 6 months and have not yet found a direct replacement, mostly because the hole that is cut in the door to accept the current latch isn't the same shape as latches from other manufacturers. I have moved one particularly tricky latch to a location where I can reach in from another cargo door to manually push the latch up from within if needed, just to avoid being locked out of a cargo area again. All of our shoes were locked in the cargo bin near the entry door for 2 weeks at the end of the summer until the dealer drilled a hole in the front of the latch to push the latch open with a screwdriver. Worst case, if I get locked out on the road again I'll do the same.

2014 Honda CRV
Old 03-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #14

Still looking as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlakin View Post
Sometimes the conversation wanders a bit, but this is all good discussion. I've been looking for 6 months and have not yet found a direct replacement, mostly because the hole that is cut in the door to accept the current latch isn't the same shape as latches from other manufacturers. I have moved one particularly tricky latch to a location where I can reach in from another cargo door to manually push the latch up from within if needed, just to avoid being locked out of a cargo area again. All of our shoes were locked in the cargo bin near the entry door for 2 weeks at the end of the summer until the dealer drilled a hole in the front of the latch to push the latch open with a screwdriver. Worst case, if I get locked out on the road again I'll do the same.
Same issue here and same "solution" - reach in from one compartment you can open and unlock the latch from the inside. Doesn't work on single compartments, obviously.

These are the kinds of issues that are beyond frustrating. A reliable retrofit should be available from the manufacturer. I'm not asking them to pay for it, simply source a more durable solution, make it available to previous customers and then use this solution on new models.

Mr. Cavitt, do you not agree that these slam latches are problematic?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage