Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #1

Sumo's for 2017 Forester 2401W

Hello,

We are considering purchasing sumo's for our above coach. SDtruck springs was a suggested seller. We emailed them and they wrote back that they did not have any that fit our model/year. I'm assuming they'd be the same as 2016's?

Does anyone have the part number and or a known seller for these?

Thanks!

Bogey
Old 03-15-2017, 12:58 AM   #2

Call suspension connection
2010-2015 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 - SumoSprings (Rear)
SuperSprings #SSR-338-47
See if these will work
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:01 AM   #3

I got my fronts there too
And they were marked "ford"
But when I called, they said will fit and they were right.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

Check that the 2017 Forester is likely built on a 2016 MBS chassis. Usually they lag behind due to delivery, holding and assembly times at the RV plant.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Here's a link to the "Super Springs" web site "application tool". Super Springs is the manufacturer of Sumo Springs and the tool should show you what's available:

https://www.supersprings.com/application-guide/

If they don't list your chassis, I'd get in touch with them directly. You can look for a seller once you've figured out exactly what you need.

Dave
Old 03-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Thanks Folks!!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #7

you need to call the vehicle Mercedes Sprinter 3500.
If you don't know the model year of the Sprinter frame, write down the VIN and then google "how to read a VIN" there are a number of sites that will break it down for you.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #8

CALL ME, I HAVE GONE THRU THIS BEFORE. MY COACH IS A 2107, SPRINGS ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH. HAVE PUT ON SUMO SPRINGS [ NOT THE BUMP STOPS] FRT AND REAR HELPED BUT NOT A COMPLETE CURE. I AM HAVING A MEETING TODAY AT HELLWIG ABOUT A CURE FOR THE PROBLEM [ THEIR OVERLOADS] THESE coaches are built to the limit, maybe above the limit. will be weighting mine when i get home. scared to know
oldwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #9

There are several threads dealing with handling issues on this (MBS) forum as well as on the Solera forum. I think people have upgraded their coaches in three different ways - the Helwig anti-sway bar, the Sumo Springs (either bump stops or the higher end upgrades, on either the rear or both front and rear), and upgraded shocks. As a guess, if you went full in on all possible upgrades, and did the installations yourself, you'd probably spend somewhere in the $1000 - $1500 - $2000 range.

All of these things will improve your handling to a greater or lesser degree, but there are two fundamental problems which will limit how much improvement you see. First, you're driving a big sail down the road. It does pretty well until it's hit by cross winds or passing vehicles - then the sail part comes into play. And second, the Sprinter chassis is narrow such the "house" portion of the vehicle is quite a bit wider than the wheel track. And much of the weight of the coach is along those outside walls. Not a great design when stability is the goal.

Personally, I've upgraded to the Helwig sway bar and the lower end Sumo Springs on the rear axle. And I avoid driving in high winds if at all possible!

Dave
Old 03-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #10

These listings are for 2017 MB Sprinter 3500 (Sumo's)
Also other options... on the website, for upgrades.

https://sprinterupgrades.com/collect...-helper-spring

https://sprinterupgrades.com/collect...nt-sumosprings
Automatic_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #11

Thanks to all for your replies. I probably didn't make myself real clear, but what little we've used our coach (driving from Michigan where we bought it to home on the west coast) and 3 fairly short trips before the snow came, we have been really happy with the handling overall.

Of course, we came from a Toyota Tundra with a in bed camper, so we feel REALLY stable compared to that, but it doesn't mean that we wouldn't opt for a tad better ride if there was a inexpensive option out there, and according to so many threads that have touted the Sumo bump as just that little bit of extra help - well, we were interested.

The above post/links look like just that ticket!

Thanks!

Tags
forester