Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #1

Sunseeker "solar on the side"

I am considering a 2019 FR Sunseeker MBS. The brochure talks about "solar on the side" (an option). Does anyone have experience with the option and if so, what do you think?
JimHs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #2

That is a feature similar to the "Zamp" option, which is on other models such as mine.
Most newer RV's are prewired for solar panels with an access port located somewhere on the side of the unit, often by the entry door.
You can purchase solar panels and the associated equipment and plug them into that port to help charge batteries. If you boondock or plan to, solar is a good idea.
Although I am not familiar with "solar on the side", the Zamp port "requires" Zamp solar panels. I write that in quotations, because from my research you can use any brand panel you want, the caveat being that the Zamp port is REVERSE POLARITY. That is the only difference. The other product you mentioned may or may not be the same. Do your homework.
Many people permanently install solar panels on the roof. The plug on the side is for panels that you must set up when camping, which also means you need room to store them when traveling. Decisions, decisions.....
Good luck!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
That is a feature similar to the "Zamp" option, which is on other models such as mine.
Most newer RV's are prewired for solar panels with an access port located somewhere on the side of the unit, often by the entry door.
You can purchase solar panels and the associated equipment and plug them into that port to help charge batteries. If you boondock or plan to, solar is a good idea.
Although I am not familiar with "solar on the side", the Zamp port "requires" Zamp solar panels. I write that in quotations, because from my research you can use any brand panel you want, the caveat being that the Zamp port is REVERSE POLARITY. That is the only difference. The other product you mentioned may or may not be the same. Do your homework.
Many people permanently install solar panels on the roof. The plug on the side is for panels that you must set up when camping, which also means you need room to store them when traveling. Decisions, decisions.....
Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. FR Sunseeker has another option called "solar on board". That is the roof mounted panels. A bit too pricey for me.

The "solar on the side" is the plug in on the side without any panels (or controller) included. Thanks for the polarity "issue" with the Zamp system. I don't like it when a product is wired backward from industry standard so folks are forced to buy their product. Will be doing some research to see what alternatives may be out their.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHs1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. FR Sunseeker has another option called "solar on board". That is the roof mounted panels. A bit too pricey for me.

The "solar on the side" is the plug in on the side without any panels (or controller) included. Thanks for the polarity "issue" with the Zamp system. I don't like it when a product is wired backward from industry standard so folks are forced to buy their product. Will be doing some research to see what alternatives may be out their.

If you plan on boondocking West of the Mississippi, having the ability to use a portable solar panel could come in handy. This should be a low or no cost option (my 2017 SunSeeker came with the Zamp plug, and was not noted as an option). It is just a plug wired into the battery with a fuse... not rocket science. The portable panels come with the charge controller built in, so you pay for that part when you decide to do the upgrade. We added solar to the roof, but also have a portable panel... it comes in handy early and late in the day when the sun angles do not favor the roof.

I mention boondocking in the West, because most campgrounds In the East feature shade, not good for solar. Actually, the ability to move a portable panel out of the shade might make more sense in the East!

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #5

I ended up buying the 2019 Sunseeker 2400WSD. Turns out it comes with a solar panel and controller installed (panel on the roof). I don't believe it was an option. Haven't found the watt rating yet, but the panel is around 3 foot by 2 foot. It is not a ZAMP panel or controller. I am happy.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:04 AM   #6

Quote:
I ended up buying the 2019 Sunseeker 2400WSD. Turns out it comes with a solar panel and controller installed (panel on the roof). I don't believe it was an option. Haven't found the watt rating yet, but the panel is around 3 foot by 2 foot. It is not a ZAMP panel or controller. I am happy.
Enjoy your new rig and hope to see you out there. You will love it!
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #7

As most campsites have trees , the rooftop solar production may be very limited.

Getting into direct sun will help when boondocking
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Junior/Senior Member

In our 2018 MBS Sunseeker, the Zamp connection is also next to the Coach entrance door.

I am also doing research on the most cost effective panels to purchase for boondocking in our MBS. Regarding the reverse polarity statement, I am not saying 'barnbnb' is incorrect, just that it 'May Not' be as simple as purchasing another brand's reverse polarity panels.

Just as an FYI, the below is copied directly from Zamp's website - https://www.zampsolar.com/help

4. Is the solar port reverse polarity?
No, but they are different from other brands of solar ports because all of our SAE plugs are polarity-protected for safety reasons. That means the positive pin on all of our SAE plugs is set back and covered to prevent accidental contact that could damage your panel, short your battery, or give you a pretty nasty shock. So, because of the polarity protection on our plugs, Zamp Solar ports are only compatible with Zamp Solar SAE plugs.

Happy Camping!
Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #9

The installed panel is 100 watt. it and the controller are made by Go Power.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #10

MBS 2401W Solar panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
If you plan on boondocking West of the Mississippi, having the ability to use a portable solar panel could come in handy. This should be a low or no cost option (my 2017 SunSeeker came with the Zamp plug, and was not noted as an option). It is just a plug wired into the battery with a fuse... not rocket science. The portable panels come with the charge controller built in, so you pay for that part when you decide to do the upgrade. We added solar to the roof, but also have a portable panel... it comes in handy early and late in the day when the sun angles do not favor the roof.

Good luck!
I am also thinking of adding roof solar panels to the roof of my MBS 2401, how much wattage do you recommend? and the type of panels.
Any advice will be appreciated.
jguerracc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #11

The portable panels come with a very basic charge controller, which will need to be upgraded for roof panels. It’s a good idea to evaluate what your power use is in a typical day, and whether your existing batteries are up to supplying your needs. The stock batteries in my 2017 SunSeeker 2400W were brandless group 27’s, and as a newbie I did not take good care of them. They were pretty much
shot after our first year, and by then I had a plan for the upgrade that included 6 volt golf car batteries and a TriMetric battery monitoring system. Once that was in place, we could see what loads we were drawing. The big killer in the Western desert is the propane furnace... it gets cold at night out there, and that baby draws about 8 ah’s. The TriMetric has a charge controller that can be added to their BMS, which is what we did. The panels were on sale at Home Depot, 2-180 watt Grapes. The size of these was ideal for the way my roof is laid out. All the mounting hardware (tilt panels), wire, junction box, breakers and switches came from AM Solar... look them up on the web. They have a lot of info and some nice products for RV solar systems, and a great reputation for the systems they design and install. The last thing we added was a 2000w inverter, which we did last year... with the 2 battery systems most of us have, using it to run the microwave, coffee maker, or toaster is an adventure, and not something we end up doing much. 80 -100 ah draws are not necessarily fun to watch.

Good luck and have fun with your upgrades!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:

I have a FR sunseeker 2400MBS 2016. I had a 2’ x 3’ solar panel installed on the roof. I do a lot of boondocking and it keeps my batteries well charged. I love my sunseeker. Enjoy yours.
diane1433r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, sunseeker