Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #1

Switch on 2018 Forester MBS2401W in the step well

I have pretty much figured out almost all the gizmos and switches on our (new to us) 2018 Forester MBS2401W.

I've looked at all the manuals in the impressive stack of manuals left by the previous owner but can't for the life of me figure out the switch shown in the attached picture?

I've fiddled with it and I *thought* it made sense as a "lock" for the powered steps, but I've flipped it every which way and haven't seen it make one whit of difference in anything I've looked at?

Thought it might be footwell lights ... nope. Leveling Jack lock? Nope. Entry light? Nope Step lock? Nope ...

Somebody knows, I'm sure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	457.4 KB
ID:	211352  
kenmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #2

How about a compartment light (rear?) Maybe front cap light if you have one?

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #3

Good guesses! No cigar unfortunately... looked all over the coach and no lights (that I could see anywhere) go on/off based on the switch.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Found it! Looked underneath the outside steps thinking maybe a light... although there is a yellow light (like a clearance marker) I found the culprit. There was a loose wire. Plugged it back into the bottom of the step motor and now if you switch the switch, the steps will extend but not retract (which makes sense ... kind of a "lock").
Old 08-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
oreddie

Auto Steps COntrol

On my 2017 2401WS, that switch activates or disables the automatic step extend/retract.

In the ON position, the steps extend when the door is open and retract when the door is closed.

In the off position, the stairs extend when the door is opened and remain extended when the door is closed.

In either position the step retracts when the engine is started.

There are circuit breakers behind the small panel, left side of well closer to the door. Not certain there's anything related to the step in there tho. I've had to open it a few times when the rear stabilizers wouldn't retract/extend. One of the switches seems to stick sometimes so when I operate the other stabilizer, the breaker pops.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #5

Might have missed my "Update" above. It functions fine now. I found a loose wire under the step.

Now it works fine.. thanks!

Tags
forester, switch