Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
We got a letter from Mercedes a couple of weeks ago saying that the passenger side airbags were available for installation. On Monday we got a call from the Mercedes place we took our Sprinter in for service wanting to set up an appointment for the replacement. So we took it in on Thursday. The did the airbag but it was suggested that we have our fuel injectors cleaned ($255). We have 21k on our MH. I talked to the service rep and he said its just a suggestion and that it wasn't indicative that there was anything wrong. Rig runs great and we have none of the symptoms that they need cleaning so we passed on this service. I couldn't find injector service in the maintenance booklet. Has anyone else had this done and if so at what mileage?
"Just a suggestion" . . . .

No, never had this done.

We got our passenger-side airbag recall letter too. I need to get that set up.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #42

53,000 miles and have never had injectors cleaned. I do change the fuel filter every 20,000 miles and I try not to idle the engine for extended periods of time. I don't use bio above 5 % knowingly. BTW my dealer makes lots of suggestions.

Air bag recall completed 5 months ago.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
53,000 miles and have never had injectors cleaned. I do change the fuel filter every 20,000 miles and I try not to idle the engine for extended periods of time. I don't use bio above 5 % knowingly. BTW my dealer makes lots of suggestions.

Air bag recall completed 5 months ago.
Off topic, but what is the max time to allow the engine to idle? I seem to recall reading that it can be extended by adding a device to increase RPMs, but have no clear idea on idle time either way.

Still waiting on passenger side airbag on my 2015 chassis.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
Off topic, but what is the max time to allow the engine to idle?
Maybe further off topic...but why would you want to idle the engine for extended periods of time? Perhaps in some unusual circumstance? Generally speaking, it seems as though it just wastes fuel and adds nasty stuff to the air.

Dave
Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Maybe further off topic...but why would you want to idle the engine for extended periods of time? Perhaps in some unusual circumstance? Generally speaking, it seems as though it just wastes fuel and adds nasty stuff to the air.

Dave
Many times we stop for a while, maybe just to have lunch in the RV, and want to keep the AC or heat on without running a noisy generator.
We have also stayed where electric was not available and generators were not allowed, but we could idle to run the dash AC, which we did for a little while.
I'd wager that idling uses less fuel than the generator does with the roof AC pulling a load and it's way quieter than the generator, too.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #46

"We have also stayed where electric was not available and generators were not allowed, but we could idle to run the dash AC, which we did for a little while."

In many states an idle over 2-3 min is illegal. Hard to get caught but....

If after an extended idle a good speed ride for a while will help clear the EGR system.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #47

Wow, we have really drifted from Takata Air Bag recall.

From the Sprinter Owner's Manual -

If the vehicle is predominantly used for short-distance driving or is stationary for long periods, this could lead to a malfunction in the automatic cleaning function for the diesel particle filter. This can lead to blockage of the diesel particle filter. This can also result in fuel collecting in the engine oil and cause engine failure
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Wow, we have really drifted from Takata Air Bag recall.

From the Sprinter Owner's Manual -

If the vehicle is predominantly used for short-distance driving or is stationary for long periods, this could lead to a malfunction in the automatic cleaning function for the diesel particle filter. This can lead to blockage of the diesel particle filter. This can also result in fuel collecting in the engine oil and cause engine failure
So evidently no one knows how long a "long period" of idling really is. Let's start a new thread!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post

In many states an idle over 2-3 min is illegal. Hard to get caught but....
Which states?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
Which states?
I think there are federal idling limits, but those may only apply to commercial vehicles. According to this link (must be true, right?) 30+ states have limits:
https://www.rd.com/advice/travel/car-idling-illegal/
Dave

Tags
cat, recall