Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #1

Thetford Hand Sprayer Leak/Fix

Today I discovered that the hand sprayer for the toilet would leak when operating the pedal flush mechanism. We were using the on board water system, so pump pressure levels and only leaked when flushed. I removed the hand sprayer from the tubing and determined that if the lever was not pressed, there wasn't a full seal. At first I figured either the spring mechanism was bad or maybe a gasket seal. After closer inspection I figured out how to disassemble it. Since I didn't find much about this online, I'd thought I'd share it here.

On the face of the sprayer, the small center protrusion is a cap that was easily removed with my fingers. Behind is a 3/16 Allen head that will remove the aerator. Removing the aerator reveals a plastic piece with a view of the pin and gasket that moves with the operation of the squeeze lever. There was a small piece of plastic debris that was lodged in there preventing the mechanism from fully sealing. Using some needle nose pliers I discovered that the plastic piece that surrounds the center pin/gasket is also threaded. Once this final piece was removed I was able to rid any foreign objects and re-assemble. So far it seems the proper function is restored. In hindsight I should have photographed the process. I searched for some manuals or schematics online that might show some of this, but came up empty handed. Anyway, I suppose if you find yourself with a leaking hand sprayer you might try and take it apart.

Cheers!
Old 04-17-2016, 02:19 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing that. Ironically, I noticed today I have the opposite. NO water coming out of sprayer but everything else works fine. Will take it apart and find out why.
...and why do the sink and shower faucets turn off/on different from the rest of the world? I think it's to confuse old folks like me.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #3

Excellent info. Thanks!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-17-2016, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
Thanks for sharing that. Ironically, I noticed today I have the opposite. NO water coming out of sprayer but everything else works fine. Will take it apart and find out why.
...and why do the sink and shower faucets turn off/on different from the rest of the world? I think it's to confuse old folks like me.

Some do work that way (handles work inversely to each other) but given how hot the water is, they should be labeled for which way is off. We need to add some Dymo labels to ours.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
Today I discovered that the hand sprayer for the toilet would leak when operating the pedal flush mechanism. We were using the on board water system, so pump pressure levels and only leaked when flushed. I removed the hand sprayer from the tubing and determined that if the lever was not pressed, there wasn't a full seal. At first I figured either the spring mechanism was bad or maybe a gasket seal. After closer inspection I figured out how to disassemble it. Since I didn't find much about this online, I'd thought I'd share it here.

On the face of the sprayer, the small center protrusion is a cap that was easily removed with my fingers. Behind is a 3/16 Allen head that will remove the aerator. Removing the aerator reveals a plastic piece with a view of the pin and gasket that moves with the operation of the squeeze lever. There was a small piece of plastic debris that was lodged in there preventing the mechanism from fully sealing. Using some needle nose pliers I discovered that the plastic piece that surrounds the center pin/gasket is also threaded. Once this final piece was removed I was able to rid any foreign objects and re-assemble. So far it seems the proper function is restored. In hindsight I should have photographed the process. I searched for some manuals or schematics online that might show some of this, but came up empty handed. Anyway, I suppose if you find yourself with a leaking hand sprayer you might try and take it apart.

Cheers!
More than likely instructions for installing and troubleshooting were tossed when installed at factory.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

Potentially... Neither the Thetford manual that came with my coach nor the available documentation online showed an exploded view of the sprayer itself so I'm not sure whether the information is available or not.

Tags
ford, leak