Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2022, 11:51 PM   #1

Thumbs up Tire Valve Extensions

OK 1st of all I want to apologize for asking so many questions but I'm a total newbie with RV's and trying to learn as much as I can.

I really appreciate the advice and help.

So after getting new tires installed at discount I went to my friend's shop he discovered that 1 of the rear dually's is missing the valve extender.

So I called discount tire and spoke with the guy and when I was dropping off the vehicle he had mentioned that he is not a fan of extenders because they leak.
So when I was talking with him he reminded me of that conversation well I did not think they would forget to put one on or as he said it might have fallen off.

So I call around to the local autozones etc all they have are short extenders that are one and a quarter inches.

But the MB one's also have a clip that attached to the hole in the wheel rim which is a nice feature so where do I get these or any other alternatives.

I did a search on this site and had opinions all over the map so just thought I would ask.

Thanks
azmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:06 AM   #2

Strongly suggest that you install metal valve stems. Many of us have installed Dually brand stems from Your Tirestop Supply. I think these may be the ones you want:
There are a number of threads here on the topic, like:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ers-83192.html
Call Your Tirestop if you're not certain which stems to get...
Old 09-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #3

I agree with DaveJordon 100%. The front come in two lengths. I recommend getting the longer front stems, especially if you plan on having a TPMS.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks
I'm going with these paying a $160 for valve stem extenders is outrageous to me.

I don't have that kinda dough....

https://www.amazon.com/ZHSMS-Flexibl...89776869&psc=1
Old 09-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Lots of forum posts on this issue.
Several issues with the wheel simulators coming off and taking the valve extension with it, resulting in tire deflation and failure.
Back about ten years ago Forest River switched to “AirFlexx” airless extensions because of this problem:
https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-Flex...ve&sr=1-3&th=1

These extensions only have air in them when adding air or checking the pressure - they have a core which presses the tire valve only when depressed by a tire chuck. Solved the problem noted above. Some of us found our tire chucks didn’t depress the stems sufficiently to check or add air. Solution was to cut some threads off the extension so the core extended further. Also, any extension needs to be tied up so it doesn’t flap around while driving. Many of us tie the wheel simulators to the wheel with zip ties; then the extensions to the simulators.
The replacement stems DaveJordan and Mikegjax recommended are metal and don’t need an extension. An elegant (somewhat expensive) solution. In addition to their price, each tire must be de- and re- mounted to install. They are also not “tire rotation “ or spare tire friendly.
If you go with what you said above, be aware of the historical issues.

FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:00 AM   #6

By the way I did not install the extenders that I got on Amazon yet it's still hot here in Arizona and I want to spend some time working on it or Find a better solution why can I not get the OEM ones from Mercedes?
Old 09-29-2022, 06:40 AM   #7

The extenders that came with the RV are not OME. They are a addon from FR. The airless extender are after market and can be found on the web. The orginals installed by FR really don't work that well. The female is to long and won't allow the pin to open the valve stem. You can't use TPMS sensors on them as well.

Tags
tire, valve