Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Toad

Has anyone towed a Mini Cooper?

I have a 2016R.

Dogpa
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #2

Neither the 2014 nor the 2015 Motorhome Dinghy Guides list any Mini models as being towable. Guides for years since 2000 are available here:
Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
I also checked Blue Ox - they don't have baseplates for any Mini's.

All in all, I think you'd have trouble flat towing a Mini.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpa View Post
Has anyone towed a Mini Cooper?
Dogpa
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

I almost bought a mini convertible as a toad. I asked if it was flat towable salesman said yes. I told him to call mini USA . They said if I flat tow, all warrantees void. Since I wanted a convertible, wrangler was only choice

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

Toad

Thanks for info on towing Cooper. Guess more research in order.

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #5

As we were out this morning in the Bayou Segnette state park here in new Orleans I saw a vw bug. It was the last body style and had a 6 speed manual transmission. I did get a chance to ask the owner how they liked it.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #6

View Larger Image
Needed Accessories

Blue Ox BasePlate/Brackets

Blue Ox (Part Number:BX1304)
See Important Towability Note Below Your Price: $394.99 List Price:$449.95You Save: 12% ($54.96)Availability:Ships in 5-10 Days

This item is eligible for free shipping. Click for more details
Shipping: Calculate Shipping Cost
Enter your Zip Code:

| E-mail Page | Print Page |

Description

Blue Ox base plates are easy on your suspension and even easier on the eye, because they are designed with hidden reinforcements. Vehicle specific baseplate is integrated into the individual bumper design of the towed vehicle. Selected Blue Ox base plates have removable tabs that further enhance the aesthetics. When you aren't towing, just remove the tabs to make your base plate virtually invisible to the casual observer.

See vehicle specific footnotes below.
  • Important Towability Note: Blue Ox offers the above baseplate for your vehicle, but how that vehicle is equipped (i.e. automatic transmission, 4-wheel drive, etc.) must be considered when determining its towability. Please read the owner's manual and/or consult your dealer for the correct towing procedures for your vehicle. Additional equipment such as a transmission pump or driveshaft disconnect may be required and are sold separately. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in damage to the towed vehicle or personal injury.
Specs

Tab TypeRemovableInstallation Time3 HoursSuggested WiringBX8848Tab Height13.5 inchesTab Width22 inchesFootnotes1,2,3,4,13Installation InstructionsCLICK HEREMade In:USA
Features

• Custom fit base plate specifically designed for your vehicle.
  • Bolts securely to the chassis.
  • Spreads towing force equally without undue stress.
  • Keeps the weight placed on your suspension to a minimum.

Included:

• Instructions
  • Hardware

Not Included:

• Tow Bar
  • Wiring
  • Safety Cables

Blue Ox

Today, Blue Ox products account for the vast majority of Automatic Equipment's revenue. However, Automatic Equipment traces its roots to the Automatic Curry and Dipping Machine founded in 1926 by Rollie McQuistan. The successor, Automatic Equipment Manufacturing Co. was started shortly after WW II by Myron Hesse who incorporated the company in November of 1968.
During the first six decades of operation, Automatic produced only agricultural products. Those that have been discontinued or sold to other manufacturing companies include Tractor Cabs, Soilmover Scrapers, Mist Blowers, hay handling equipment, batch mixers, boom sprayers, cattle oilers, mineral feeders, livestock trailers, and pick-up mounted 12 volt sprayers. The Roller Mill and Navigator Guidance systems are the only agricultural products that remain.
The development of the Kar-Tote, purchased by Jay Hesse in 1984 provided entry into the Recreational Vehicle after-market and the Car Rental industry. The purchases of the Blue Ox line of tow bars and base plates in 1991 and the Duncan line of tow bars and brackets in 1994, coupled with the development of braking systems, trailer hitches, TruCenter steering products, and other accessories have solidified Automatic's position as a leader in the Recreational Vehicle and Towing Industries. All of these products are manufactured in their Pender, NE facility.
The above information has been provided by the Manufacturer, and we cannot guarantee the accuracy thereof or endorse the opinions expressed.

2007Mini (BMW)Mini Cooper Hardtop and HatchbackAll, Except S2008Mini (BMW)Mini Cooper Hardtop and HatchbackAll, Except S2009Mini (BMW)Mini Cooper Hardtop and HatchbackAll, Except S2010Mini (BMW)Mini Cooper Hardtop and HatchbackAll, Except S2011Mini (BMW)Mini Cooper Hardtop and HatchbackAll, Except S2012Mini (BMW)Mini Cooper Hardtop and HatchbackAll, Except S2013Mini (BMW)Mini Cooper Hardtop and HatchbackAll, Except S2014Mini (BMW)Mini Cooper Hardtop and HatchbackAll, Except S
Iowaprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

Well there's my problem! I looked up "Mini" but Blue Ox has them listed under "BMW". That said, they do seem to have base plates for a variety of recent Mini models.

Dave

Tags
toad