Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2021, 04:26 AM   #1

Towing with sprinter-questions

Towing with Sprinter 3500- I have a 2017 Prism 2200FS. I am looking into the possibility of hauling a vehicle behind it. My vehicle is a 2450 lb 2019 Miata RF. I can’t flat tow that car, nor do I believe that I can dolly tow it. As a result of that I’m looking into a 14 foot aluminum car hauler trailer, which weighs about 1400lb itself. Approx 3850 lbs between the two.
My factor hitch states it is rated for 500lb tongue weight and 3500lb total. That said, I’ve seen other same chassis RV’s with hitches rated for 500lb at the tongue and 5000lb total.
In addition to the hitch, I’m concerned about total weight GVWR and performance towing.
Can anyone with experience towing behind a Sprinter chassis provide some input relative to your experience?
Thank you!
2017Prism2200FSHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #2

There is a lighter trailer - only around 800lbs with a 3100 lb carrying capacity

https://www.trailex.com/products/pc/...?idCategory=17
rgt3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #3

rgt3000 - Thank you for the info on the lighter trailer. I took a quick glance.. Nice! I'll look into it further. That would get my total under 3500 lbs and help with my concerns relative to overall total weight. Thx!
Old 06-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017Prism2200FSHank View Post
I’ve seen other same chassis RV’s with hitches rated for 500lb at the tongue and 5000lb total.
Generally speaking, I think that GCWR and tow ratings are pretty conservative.

That being said, I see a couple of issues. First, the tow ratings are based on the weakest of the components involved - the MBS chassis, the FR extended frame, the hitch receiver, etc. I don't think you can compare an MBS motorhome to another brand or even another model unless you know that the post-Mercedes components are identical.

A second issue - as you noted - the 500 lb. tongue weight is going to put a real crimp in your cargo capacity. This isn't an issue with flat towing...

As far as performance goes, I don't think that's likely to be much of an issue. The Sprinter engine has a reasonable amount of torque and most folks find that it tows as well as, or better than, expected.

Dave
Old 06-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Towing with Sprinter 3500- I have a 2017 Prism 2200FS. I am looking into the possibility of hauling a vehicle behind it. My vehicle is a 2450 lb 2019 Miata RF. I can’t flat tow that car, nor do I believe that I can dolly tow it. As a result of that I’m looking into a 14 foot aluminum car hauler trailer, which weighs about 1400lb itself. Approx 3850 lbs between the two.
My factor hitch states it is rated for 500lb tongue weight and 3500lb total. That said, I’ve seen other same chassis RV’s with hitches rated for 500lb at the tongue and 5000lb total.
In addition to the hitch, I’m concerned about total weight GVWR and performance towing.
Can anyone with experience towing behind a Sprinter chassis provide some input relative to your experience?
Thank you!
I have no experience towing behind a Sprinter, but I HAVE flat towed for over 10 years, and there’s some considerations you should be aware of.
1. Maximum towing is only quoted as long as you’re not near the maximum carrying capacity of your motorhome.
2. Sometimes, your campsite will not have space for your trailer, and you’ll have to park it somewhere else, possibly not in view, and sometimes for an extra fee.
3. You’ll quite often have extra charges for travel.....bridges, ferries and such sometimes charge by the axle.....even if they’re not touching the ground.
4. Your travels will need to consider that it maybe difficult if not impossible to back up. Flexibility is reduced.
5. Check locally for possible extra charges for licensing and/or insurance as it pertains to your trailer and the Miata.

Just suggestions......YMMV.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
4. Your travels will need to consider that it maybe difficult if not impossible to back up. Flexibility is reduced.
While this is true for towing a toad or using a dolly, one advantage of a trailer is that backing up isn't an issue (well, beyond the usual issues of backing a trailer.) Toads and dollies introduce a second pivot point making backing up a very dicey operation.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #7

Spark was the solution

We just went thru the same deliberation. Have a 2016 Forrester. Towed a Corolla behind it (it was in the family), and was surprised how much having the Toyota there impacted performance and handling. For instance, when approaching a corner where speed was posted, I used to go 5 to 10mph faster than the sign. W/ the TOAD, that did not feel safe. in other words, the 2900 lb corolla seemed too heavy. Hills that used to be easy were not w/ the corolla behind us, we slowed down and hung out w/ the trucks in the slow lane.

We also have a 2020 Miata RF. But that is for fun. The ground clearance is just too little to think of pulling that behind the RV. I've grown to like freeroam.com, and towing the Miata would not work well.

Ended up getting a Chevy Spark to use as a Toad. Under $14K, and I'm pleased w/ how it works as an extra car. Get the new model, 2017 and on. If you can find a new one w/ manual, Chevy has a promotion going now.

Just finished putting on the baseplate (Blueox), went well. Much easier than putting the baseplate on the Corolla. Have a long trip coming up and will know how much better this setup is. But barely felt the car behind me on the test drive. btw, used ReadyBrake tow bar. Read the limitations on the baseplate instructions before you buy the car, Blueox limits what models they work with (no LT versions, so we got manual windows w/ the LS)

And the owner of the Corolla will be happy I'm no longer dragging their car around everywhere....
Old 06-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #8

Thanks for the input. I can see how Spark would be a good fit. I currently use a rear horizontal rack and haul a Yamaha Xt250. Fun when the weather is cooperative, but I'd prefer to have a car along. I don't see me buying another little toy car (already having the Miata). I may rent a trailer and see how it tows before buying a trailer. I have made some suspension upgrades to the RV and found them worthwhile investments. Sumo Springs, RoadTrek anti-sway bar and Super Springs helper springs. The helper spring made a big difference when loaded up. I haven't towed though. Only piling weight on the rear with motorcycle, bikes and full water. Thx again!
Old 06-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #9

I may of missed it but looking at the pictures of the trailers that are attached it looks like none of them have brakes. With that much load behind you you need tailor brakes.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:09 PM   #10

I agree. Brakes appear to be an option on the Trailerex. Maybe std or at a minimum an option on a the Feather 3110. Thx!
Old 06-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
I agree. Brakes appear to be an option on the Trailerex. Maybe std or at a minimum an option on a the Feather 3110. Thx!
I noticed you live in Michigan.
That being said, here’s a link to the different states and provinces, each with their own braking rules based on various weights. Also, if you had an accident, you can bet your insurance company will know the limitations for coverage. They hate having to pay out.

Just sayin’.

https://www.brakebuddy.com/tablet/to...SACEgLjfPD_BwE

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:38 AM   #12

Jeeps and many other 4 wheel drive vehicles use locking/unlocking hubs to allow the front to freewheel when being towed.

Might be cheaper and much better to have a set of hubs machined for your car.

Trailers are a huge PIA as they make backing up much harder and have to be stored somewhere at the camp ground.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Trailers are a huge PIA as they make backing up much harder and have to be stored somewhere at the camp ground.
Well, yes. But at least you CAN back them up...which you can't do when towing four down.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #14

"Well, yes. But at least you CAN back them up...which you can't do when towing four down."

A trailer that can be seen can be backed up. The rear camera on our RV does not give enough info quick enough to back up very far.

Towing 4 down takes under a min to disconnect/reconnect should it be necessary.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, questions, tow, towing